The Eagle's finals preview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
Time has come for my Finals preview and prediction and here we go

This i did at the start of the year but as you can see if you look up the thread,my predictions didn't all come true to say the least

Bulldogs - More hype than a new Ferrari and the biggest whiner of a coach in the history of the NRL (Or atleast this was the opinion during his time at Manly for ALL opposition NRL fans),They might have the speed and front row but unfortunately for them the fairytale was written without a last page where everything was set right,going head to head with their coaches former club in the first mouthwatering encounter of this years finals series they will exit in straight sets due to inexperience in big games (See Choking) and a fiery encounter set to make some sore bodies way to sore to back up next year,not this year for the kebab fueled crowd from Belmore

Melbourne - Have that under the radar thing about them this year,how in the blue **** does second get forgotten when potential grand finals are spoken of,they arent the Storm they used to be but their forward pack has had starch added in the shape of Ryles this year and he is in the running for buy of the year in my opinion but to me he simply misses the gong for that award,the big 3 are always constant threats but do they have the outside backs to match it? Question cannot yet be answered

Souths - These chaps are actually alright this year but i believe that they are in the top 4 prematurely (Like what many of their supporters do things,prematurely),yes they have the forwards and most of the backs but their halfback other than being clear rookie of the year has only had a single Try Assist this year from NRL STATS and also i still do not rate Sutton as a good half,he should be wearing a 13 jersey

Manly - The current premiers with a star studded line-up just hitting top gear at the right time of the year,the form is irrisistable when they are in the mood to put points on the board but is the second half indicitive of a fade out or are they simply preserving their bodies for when the game is on the line and for the finals series,my answer is they are taking the foot off the gas and with good reason,they came back against Brisbane and Auckland in clashes this year for last minute victories,is it a fade out? No way and my favourites to go back to back

Cowboys - My dark horses for the premiership and with good reason,Thurston is finding his feet out one pass wider and Bowen is back to his annoying best,they have a pack to mix it up with the biggest and best of them and any time you take a microsleep they will take a 6 pointer,thanks guys!!! They may not be the form team of the competition but they are a formidible force in this final series

Raiders - They do have a good forward pack but the halves are a worry,they are very reminicent of the Parramatta team of 2009,which unfortunatly for the Raiders did not end up in a victory,sure they could re-write history but in my opinion they have very little chance of doing so,the front row rotation is up with the best in the world but the form says "We're stuffed",im drawing a big black line through the chances of Canberra

Sharks - They have Gallen,they have Carney,they have their fullback back from injury.....and Robson would be the third best player in their 25,no disrespect meant to Robson but he isnt a highly skilled player and this team is worthy of the same black line that i just moments ago gave the Raiders,perhaps next year but i do not think so

Broncos - Just no,they have limped into september with more issues than a korean built car and they have Wallace as a sole playmaker,sure they might have a part-way decent hooker but i don't see Petero's career advancing into week 2 or 3 of the finals series

Week one predictions

Manly beating the dogs in a physical encounter
Melbourne,they are playing souths after all
Toss of a coin,but im leaning towards the Raiders
Cowboys in a canter

Week 2 predictions

Cowboys thrashing the Bulldogs
Souths beating the Raiders

Week 3 predictions
Manly belting Souths
Melbourne holding North Queensland out

Grand Final
Manly belting Melbourne into submission
Scoreline 36-12
Clive Churchill - Brett Stewart

Good summation eagle but cant agree re Bulldogs.By far the main threat to us with their expansive up tempo play.They have won 13 from their last 14 including beating us at home and that means they are a top side.

Storm are not being forgotten as they are second favourites behind us and in front of dogs.Dogs destroyed them in Mackay and their form is awful the last half of season if you take out one half against Penrith.Brisbane,Cronulla and Titans were very unlucky not to roll them after they lost 5 ina row.AND Slater is 80% fit.Way under the odds IMO and how they are shorter than Dogs is a real mystery.Probably has to do with the fact that they will be playing in Melbourne each game until the GF.

To be honest outside Manly and Dogs,Souths are the only real hope if they get momentum and Inglis gets them home..Cowboys are terrible away-we saw that last year so cant have them.

The reason I rate Melbourne as our biggest threat, is that they simply have to be the most motivated side left in the comp at the moment

Kiwi Eagle said:
The reason I rate Melbourne as our biggest threat, is that they simply have to be the most motivated side left in the comp at the moment

And they've been there before. They may have scraped a few wins this year, but so did the dogs to finish 1 and 2. I'd like to see them exit as soon as possible. They are a huge threat.

Kiwi Eagle said:

This is true. I reckon Storm supporters think that we stole the premiership from their grasp last season.

Firstly good thread & read.

Agree on a few things - Broncs, Sharks & Raiders cross off now.

Cant buy into Storm - i think they look gone & Slater is carrying injury imo. Smith great, Cronk very good but its not enough.

Agree on Nth Qld but certainly dont write off the Dogs who are equal with them to scare us....a little.

Souths..loads of quality but play in patches - if MM gets them up for 80 minutes add them as equal threat of Nth Qld & Dogs.

Manly to beat dogs
Cows to beat Bris
Raiders to beat Sharks
Storm to beat souths Bris / Sharks out

Dogs to beat cows
Souths to beat Raiders Cows / Raiders out

Dogs to beat Storm
Manly to beat Souths Storm / Souths out

GF Manly v Dogs

For the NRL's sake, the best, most 'fairytale' GF would be the reigning Premiers V the Bunnies

Shades of 1970.

But agree, experience will win it, and to cap off a great year, Snake will be the Churchill Medalist, and he'll get a sponsor for his boots, finally.

Score : Hopefully something pretty like 30 - 10.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
For the NRL's sake, the best, most 'fairytale' GF would be the reigning Premiers V the Bunnies

Shades of 1970.

But agree, experience will win it, and to cap off a great year, Snake will be the Churchill Medalist, and he'll get a sponsor for his boots, finally.

I dont think Souths will get over Melbourne in Melbourne

barrack o barba said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:

Shades of 1970.

I dont think Souths will get over Melbourne in Melbourne
You could well be wrong - if Souths play to their potential they have the guns to blow Melbourne away - the only factor giving Storm a sight is home ground advantage imo.

The Eagle. When you're not being a tosser you're not a bad bloke and actually have semi intelligent things to say.

Nice summary by the way.

Although, i'm different to everyone else. Whilst i'm confident of a GF win, we won't be smashing anyone in the finals series. We will have to grind out most wins as usual and we will have to be prepared mentally for a loss tomorrow night. In the right mindset a loss won't be so bad. It may actually be beneficial.

Whoever wins on Friday will win the competition as it will be such a physical encounter that the winner will need the week off to recover while the loser will be battered for the rest of the semi finals and will most likely not recover in time to win the next game.

tookey said:
Whoever wins on Friday will win the competition as it will be such a physical encounter that the winner will need the week off to recover while the loser will be battered for the rest of the semi finals and will most likely not recover in time to win the next game.

I wanna get physocal.

You changed it you bastard! :)

Kiwi Eagle said:

What makes you say that ?? All the sting has gone out of their 2010 punishment by now, not even a sour **** like Bellamy could stay bitter this long. Or is there something else you feel is driving them ?

Des, personally would be highly motivated to win this year for obvious reasons, but how does he pass that onto the players ??

simon_eagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

This is true. I reckon Storm supporters think that we stole the premiership from their grasp last season.

Not as much as the Bronco's fans do.

Stevo said:
tookey said:

I wanna get physocal.

You changed it you bastard! :)

Too quick and physocal for you:D

Chip and Chase said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

What makes you say that ?? All the sting has gone out of their 2010 punishment by now, not even a sour **** like Bellamy could stay bitter this long. Or is there something else you feel is driving them ?

Des, personally would be highly motivated to win this year for obvious reasons, but how does he pass that onto the players ??

Minor Premiers last season and knocked over in week 3

And that salary cap stuff should still be playing a big part, although in saying that the blokes are that arrogant they still consider it a competition win

I just think that will all the talk of Bellamy leaving soon, last years exit, the fact none of them have a recognised premiership and the big game experience in the side makes them dangerous

Onto the Dogs players, I'm sure that while they are wanting to win it bad, in the back of their minds they are happy with the season and will lack that final bit of bite, the type we had in 2008 after our 2007 exit

I must admit I am surprised about all those on the site willing to write the dogs off.The best game of the season was our home game against them which could have gone iether way but they showed me thay are a very good side that night.If we beat them it will be just and will come at a great toll physically.

Barba also seems to be talked about as a "flash in the pan" type but one or two flashes and we are toast.Underestimate him at your peril.I think well win by a try or so but anyone who thinks it will be easy hasnt been watching footy this year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8