The Fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree 100% Ryan. Apart from Matty Ballin, the only player to take us into consideration was Willie Mason when asked about the halves leaving. First thing he said, " I really feel for the fans." Good bloke with the right values.
Give some of them some credit when skivvy re-signed he recorded a very nice video that adressed the fans and he's not a big talker

I understand Ryan's position, he's a very passionate customer .

I was berated on here the other day for being a Baby Boomer and not understanding the Gen Y world.

I'm starting to understand them now, I can't say I like what some of them do but if I'm going to remain a customer I have two options.

Roll with the punches
Change banks

#GoManly
@Mark from Brisbane don't make this a generation thing please. Everyone is individual from all generations. Bozo left for money. I partly blame how pc everyone has to be. This is the world of professional sport. We are a very immature organisation (the nrl) and we do movement poorly. It's free agency right now in the nfl. Heaps of player movement. Go and watch some of the videos. So respectful and thankful to fans, teams and cities even if they are bitter at moving on.

It's a business but they have a balance of respect with the fan base. One of the differences. Pretty much every player is college educated

Like your post Ryan . and reading through all the replies some fans/customers feelings . what stands out for me is the passion that we have . Yes some of you thinking of not going to games some wanting more than ever to get to games . or the ones that cant get to games but watch the games on tv with just as much passion .If we didn't have that passion we wouldn't be putting our opinion out there . The connection with the players has changed a lot over the years . the years of running onto the field and patting the players on the back when they were running off to get away from us .I think it was Graham Lowe who started that the players go and thank the fans on the hill . So times change as with players attitude towards clubs but one thing stays the same the fans turn up and cheer yes we get down but gee we have some ups of late . so when i buy my ticket my beer and pie (even if the pie is colder than the beer ) and my manly gear i am the customer but i will always be the FAN

Like your post Ryan . and reading through all the replies some fans/customers feelings . what stands out for me is the passion that we have . Yes some of you thinking of not going to games some wanting more than ever to get to games . or the ones that cant get to games but watch the games on tv with just as much passion .If we didn't have that passion we wouldn't be putting our opinion out there . The connection with the players has changed a lot over the years . the years of running onto the field and patting the players on the back when they were running off to get away from us .I think it was Graham Lowe who started that the players go and thank the fans on the hill . So times change as with players attitude towards clubs but one thing stays the same the fans turn up and cheer yes we get down but gee we have some ups of late . so when i buy my ticket my beer and pie (even if the pie is colder than the beer ) and my manly gear i am the customer but i will always be the FAN

To be fair, you are right , in everyone else's minds we are customers , but to us we are fans.

I'll grant you that one!!

To be fair ,They mightn't play for us .
But I don't barrack for them as individuals either.
Its the club I follow ,Its the club I love.

To be fair ,They mightn't play for us .
But I don't barrack for them as individuals either.
Its the club I follow ,Its the club I love.

Yeah, I don't get that. Yes, I love the club, the emblem and the colours, but it doesn't have to be one or the other. I love the players as well. For people to say they don't love the players, I'm sorry, I think they aren't being honest with themselves.

Anyway, I think the NRL will change the rules soon enough.

The saddest part of this guys, is I know we are playing Melbourne tonight, at home, at Brooky. We still have legends like Ballin, Stewart, Matai & others in the team. Jeez, I have a season ticket sitting here right behind me next to my Eagles jersey. I should be absolutely pumping.

But as much as it kills me, and I don't want it to be so, I'm thinking, "meh, why bother watch a group of blokes I mean nothing to, in a club that cares little for my support, run around in a dysfunctional way, losing yet ANOTHER game off the back of a multi million dollar half that can't win games for our team.

It actually almost makes me cry as pathetic as that sounds. That's how much this bloody team means to me. It was my biggest hobby, my biggest passion (outside my family), and these players have driven apathy (not caring) into me with their behavior, culture and attitude.

Please someone, bring back the passion for me !!!! Gah. I wrote a thesis to David Smith about the long serving player allowance. I organised that petition we got with 10k signatures that was delivered to Morris Iemma by Gallop, Mayer and that cock sucker that stole DCE from us from the NRL Annersley. I delivered Nab to Pat Wilson to attempt to become Manly's major sponsor, only he ****ed it, and NAB went with South's that year. I'm a returning season ticket holder. Now, with DCE, Foran and others, I'm just not caring anymore. Heeeeeellllllpppp !
In essence I feel exactly the same way-it knots my stomach to see that we are not really acknowledged in the grand scheme of things. Sure they have fan days and community awareness programs, but if you listen to the players, that stuff is just 'part of their job'
Look up the word TRIBAL...and tell me the rubbish cliché ridden statements from the clubs management and playing roster come anywhere near close. Our support is just a myth!
I remain hopeful in the coming weeks to see a semblance of passion from our NRL squad to re-ignite a flickering flame within me.
For those of you not lucky enough to follow the club in the 70's, 80's and early 90's it was great to follow them back then. Tonnes of local juniors and life long friendships.
Let's pray we see that again soon!

Many of the players hate the intrusion of fans in the mix, Watamouth was a perfect example, hated coming to "Meet the Player" functions and was only there for the absolute minimum time, and only did it because he had to.

Others, such as Kitey, Snake, Joey G, and of course Matty B soak it up and always give terrific value.

For those of us that went to the World Club Challenges in 2009 / 2012, we got more "one on one" time with the players than many would get in a normal year, that's when you really notice the difference.

I'll never forget going to the "Captains Run" in Leeds in 2012, just 24 hours before the game. It was absolutely freezing (about minus 5) and we were sitting in the stands watching. When the training session was over a lot of the players (Watamouth the first to leave) went straight off the field, but a number stayed and invited us down to "kick the foooty about" with them. Brent Kite was there until one of the coaching staff came and said that he had to have a shower as they were leaving on the team bus in 10 mins. That would have been at least 45 minutes after the others went inside.

Now that my friends is what dedicated, passionate fans, want to experience, not just to be ignored.

I just wish the board, and the players would have some empathy with how the fans are currently feeling, from what I see it's a total disconnect, its like we don't exist.

Well mark my words many of us won't unless we start getting treated like we should be,............ THE most important in the whole equation.

Yeah, I don't get that. Yes, I love the club, the emblem and the colours, but it doesn't have to be one or the other. I love the players as well. For people to say they don't love the players, I'm sorry, I think they aren't being honest with themselves.

Anyway, I think the NRL will change the rules soon enough.
True ,I love Beaver.

Many of the players hate the intrusion of fans in the mix, Watamouth was a perfect example, hated coming to "Meet the Player" functions and was only there for the absolute minimum time, and only did it because he had to.

Others, such as Kitey, Snake, Joey G, and of course Matty B soak it up and always give terrific value.

For those of us that went to the World Club Challenges in 2009 / 2012, we got more "one on one" time with the players than many would get in a normal year, that's when you really notice the difference.

I'll never forget going to the "Captains Run" in Leeds in 2012, just 24 hours before the game. It was absolutely freezing (about minus 5) and we were sitting in the stands watching. When the training session was over a lot of the players (Watamouth the first to leave) went straight off the field, but a number stayed and invited us down to "kick the foooty about" with them. Brent Kite was there until one of the coaching staff came and said that he had to have a shower as they were leaving on the team bus in 10 mins. That would have been at least 45 minutes after the others went inside.

Now that my friends is what dedicated, passionate fans, want to experience, not just to be ignored.

I just wish the board, and the players would have some empathy with how the fans are currently feeling, from what I see it's a total disconnect, its like we don't exist.

Well mark my words many of us won't unless we start getting treated like we should be,............ THE most important in the whole equation.
I think actions are more powerful than words and in my opinion chez is actually pretty generous with his time with fans. Really good with autographs and kids. Couple of weeks ago I was in harbord growers and no joke he stopped and had a chat with an older bloke for about 20 mins then gave an autograph. I got there got all my stuff and he was just wrapping up the chat as I was finishing. Didn't seem like anyone he knew either cause the bloke was very thankful. Choc can be a knob in person lol

Great story Mark, it doesn't surprise me at all to hear that about Kitey - another class act.

I think sometimes players forget that they were fans once too, and the glory of being a player in a high profile sport like the NRL can go to their heads a little. I guess we all are a little immature when growing up and can get swept away by things (in their case - the limelight). Not all are like that as you point out, and even the ones that are, may well realise it later in life.

This is where the NRL, and the club can step up to educate the players - maybe start with the various revenue streams that generate their salaries and how they all tie back to us the 'fan'. They can also educate them on the importance of 'community' and how fans can be uplifted in tough times when their team does well, or when payers acknowledge them (which they do now in some ways) - but maybe there needs to be a more targeted focus on this. They could have key current and past players as ambassadors to speak to the SG Ball, Harold Matthews and Holden Cup teams to ram home this message - the message of what the fan means to the game, then include them on fan days to show the practical side etc.

Anyway, I don't think there is any one quick fix, and you can't discount the unique character traits of individuals, but some sort of paradigm shift is in order.

If we share a beer one day, ill tell you why I think about Toovey the way I do. Not for peoples viewing pleasure here though...lawl.

I think actions are more powerful than words and in my opinion chez is actually pretty generous with his time with fans. Really good with autographs and kids. Couple of weeks ago I was in harbord growers and no joke he stopped and had a chat with an older bloke for about 20 mins then gave an autograph. I got there got all my stuff and he was just wrapping up the chat as I was finishing. Didn't seem like anyone he knew either cause the bloke was very thankful. Choc can be a knob in person lol
Yes, I have to admit the three times I've got to talk to DCE, he was nothing but gracious and genuine (would've made it easier to see the back of him if he'd been a tosser). I witnessed Choc a cpl years ago dodge a young Dad with a cpl kids near the team hotel in Briz. I know they can't talk to everyone in Manly gear, but FMD, the kids were decked out, and Choc jumps in a waiting car and yells at whoever was driving to go NOW! My daughter was gutted that he'd done that to the family. I was making excuses as to why ? (re had enough of fans for one night?)...she says, " I don't think Kite or JoeG would've done that....". @:(

Another Kitey story, on a MWTS trip to NZ I organised a meet the player function for the 80 I had on my tour.

There were 3 young Kiwi guys ( early 20's) who had read about our tour and booked themselves into the same hotel .

We befriended them and I invited them to the function.

They were sitting on a four seater lounge when the team walked in, Kitey grabbed a beer and proceeded to sit down right in the middle of the Kiwi's and he stayed there for probably 30-40 minutes ( yes I grabbed him another beer).

Those young blokes were gobsmacked and will be Eagles fans for life.

Little things mean a lot!!

Last edited:
Yes, I have to admit the three times I've got to talk to DCE, he was nothing but gracious and genuine (would've made it easier to see the back of him if he'd been a tosser). I witnessed Choc a cpl years ago dodge a young Dad with a cpl kids near the team hotel in Briz. I know they can't talk to everyone in Manly gear, but FMD, the kids were decked out, and Choc jumps in a waiting car and yells at whoever was driving to go NOW! My daughter was gutted that he'd done that to the family. I was making excuses as to why ? (re had enough of fans for one night?)...she says, " I don't think Kite or JoeG would've done that....". @:(
I was going to like your post but I don't like it lol. Such a bad look and I feel very sorry for those kids in that situation

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6