The Haumole Bible.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
It will sound flippant but... are we still talking about rugby league here or gridiron?
Has our game got to the gridiron stage where players are so programmed they can't play instinctive football? Are they really told they can't pass because it's not their role? I don't know any kid who'd want to play a sport that restricts free thought. I know I'm old-school but I want every one of my 17 players willing and able to be able to pass the football.
Pretty sure the panthers middle and edge or can pass when needed, or simply just do a hard run into the defence. Need to have both skills imo in today's game. Fitness, mobility, and intent when you run.

It’s funny how we criticise edge forwards for not passing to centres when that’s not their role.

centres catch colds when teams aren’t going great and halves are having trouble getting into the game. The only time a backrower should pass to a centre is when there is a clear overlap, otherwise it’s just passing the problem off to someone else. Their role is to run lines and make yards, not distribute the ball. Halves usually cut the backrower out when there is clear space on the outside anyway.

we can look to Gifty as anecdotal evidence of a ball playing edge forward but (a) he played years ago so different game (b) he usually passed off to a half so was playing the link role that Jake already plays for us and (c) he was the exception, not the rule. There aren’t many like him.
Perfectly said - the people on here slamming Sirro for doing exactly what he is supposed to do are just deluded. If you look at our tries on the weekend when the backs were running riot - only Lawnton as a forward was really involved in any of those tries and the same with the breaks - I cant recall a forward being involved unless it was a stand in the tackle offload like Keppie. Forwards are not there to be link men to pass to Centres (besides ball players like Jake/Schu) - they are to make yards and of course if they make a break look for a back - Centre/winger/Tom. They are there to run lines and also act as decoys or be hit as the lead runner as per Lawnton's try as Tom sweeps around behind. If they can offload all well and good or if there is an overlap - great - pass the ball but yes setting up Centres is just not what they are required to do.

Last edited:
It will sound flippant but... are we still talking about rugby league here or gridiron?
Has our game got to the gridiron stage where players are so programmed they can't play instinctive football? Are they really told they can't pass because it's not their role? I don't know any kid who'd want to play a sport that restricts free thought. I know I'm old-school but I want every one of my 17 players willing and able to be able to pass the football.
I think you are taking things to the nth degree. No one is saying they need to be programmed or they are not allowed to pass or can't pass. I am just making the point that criticising them for not passing is like being upset with the props for not dropping back on the 5th to help out with kick returns. It's like being annoyed with the police department for not putting out a bush fire. The guys with hoses are better than putting out the fire than the guys with guns. The halves are better at ball playing than the backrowers who are there to make yards and punch through holes.

Put it this way, I don't want my second rower passing to my centre unless there is an overlap. To pass out for no good reason is to put pressure on the centre who is now flirting with the touchline. It also means a troublesome play-the-ball in the corner where you have to move the ball back to the centre to set up for the next play. It's really not a good tactic to attack from the corner. The defence has time to rush up and shut the play down and the defence know the attack can only go one way because there is no longer a short side.

I'm yet to see any of our backrowers (including Siro) fail to capitalise on an overlap simply because they are ball hogs. It does happen sometimes and I am sure there would be an occasion out there, but it's not a regular problem.

I think you are taking things to the nth degree. No one is saying they need to be programmed or they are not allowed to pass or can't pass. I am just making the point that criticising them for not passing is like being upset with the props for not dropping back on the 5th to help out with kick returns. It's like being annoyed with the police department for not putting out a bush fire. The guys with hoses are better than putting out the fire than the guys with guns. The halves are better at ball playing than the backrowers who are there to make yards and punch through holes.

Put it this way, I don't want my second rower passing to my centre unless there is an overlap. To pass out for no good reason is to put pressure on the centre who is now flirting with the touchline. It also means a troublesome play-the-ball in the corner where you have to move the ball back to the centre to set up for the next play. It's really not a good tactic to attack from the corner. The defence has time to rush up and shut the play down and the defence know the attack can only go one way because there is no longer a short side.

I'm yet to see any of our backrowers (including Siro) fail to capitalise on an overlap simply because they are ball hogs. It does happen sometimes and I am sure there would be an occasion out there, but it's not a regular problem.
I kind of get both points Snake, I mean my preference on most occasions with nothing on is the backrower to target the opposition halfback and run an unders line to break or bend the line to at least create momentum, Sirro had a patch of doing this and was his best footy including a double against Titans....I think some fans felt he got away from this by dropping unders every touch and running away from his outside supports, almost became a habit.
Also the occasional early ball to give space to a Suli type player even without the overlap, I am happy with and in fact in Suli's (patch) of hot form, it was getting early ball with room to tear open the defence.....but your point is very valid in shifting lateral for the sake of it, especially if not comprimising the opposition middle, as it can create a sideways attacking pattern that makes life easy for the defence to slide and shut down.

Well said

I kind of get both points Snake, I mean my preference on most occasions with nothing on is the backrower to target the opposition halfback and run an unders line to break or bend the line to at least create momentum, Sirro had a patch of doing this and was his best footy including a double against Titans....I think some fans felt he got away from this by dropping unders every touch and running away from his outside supports, almost became a habit.
Also the occasional early ball to give space to a Suli type player even without the overlap, I am happy with and in fact in Suli's (patch) of hot form, it was getting early ball with room to tear open the defence.....but your point is very valid in shifting lateral for the sake of it, especially if not comprimising the opposition middle, as it can create a sideways attacking pattern that makes life easy for the defence to slide and shut down.
The ‘early ball’ should come from a half and cut out the edge forward or it’s not really early ball anymore.

Thought that basis of questioning Siro 's general running or line running tendencies for quite some time now is the constantly cutting back into the ruck and the teeth of the defence and the more likelihood of gang tackling ., Then being dominated more , slower play the ball and play largely breaking down as opposed to running directly to an edge or opposition halves . Passing the ball is not so much a priority as simply a better opportunity to bend the line and with usually a quick play the ball or even the option of finding some support with a half break or off load . Certainly reduces those options when or regularly he has been cutting back to the middle and getting gang tackled with a dead end result and much slower play the ball . .

The ‘early ball’ should come from a half and cut out the edge forward or it’s not really early ball anymore.
Pretty true, as that second or 2 extra pass from the backrower allows time to slide....however if Sirro can fracture the line playing through it like he has done successfully before, which holds up the inside defence and then offloads to his centre with a 1 on 1 option (Kikau, Whitehead and others often do this), can be effective to give the centre a shot at their opposite number, giving opportunity to open up the winger.....as dropping under 100% of the time and running away from the outside backs shuts off any outside opportunities.

Understand everyone's concerns with Sirro but he will be playing exactly as Des has told him to and running lines to get the team in the position Des wanted the team to be in. No way in hell even one of our experienced players continually disregards Des and does what he wants and runs his own lines. Sirro certainly wouldn't be deciding what play they run - that will be on DCE/Foran/Jake and now Schuster. Will every player play off the cuff on an occasion and run a different line/play to the one planned or even make a mistake and run the wrong line/play - of course, but in this team with Des at the helm - every player will do their job exactly as required or face Des' wrath. So any criticism of Sirro again is unfounded - he will be doing exactly as he is told. As Snake and I have both mentioned his job is not to set up supports, his main job is to make yards, run the required line as a decoy, off load if possible in a tackle or through the line but to get us to a particular point on the field.

Understand everyone's concerns with Sirro but he will be playing exactly as Des has told him to and running lines to get the team in the position Des wanted the team to be in. No way in hell even one of our experienced players continually disregards Des and does what he wants and runs his own lines. Sirro certainly wouldn't be deciding what play they run - that will be on DCE/Foran/Jake and now Schuster. Will every player play off the cuff on an occasion and run a different line/play to the one planned or even make a mistake and run the wrong line/play - of course, but in this team with Des at the helm - every player will do their job exactly as required or face Des' wrath. So any criticism of Sirro again is unfounded - he will be doing exactly as he is told. As Snake and I have both mentioned his job is not to set up supports, his main job is to make yards, run the required line as a decoy, off load if possible in a tackle or through the line but to get us to a particular point on the field.
Well said

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12