The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Jake T

Votes: 55 67.9%

• Total voters

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
So there is a world where we have both captains? Has that ever happened before?

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
~bump~

After the last few days of comments regarding Jake and his 'obstruction' call, it made me wonder if Jake is playing footy in the wrong era.

More specifically: "Jake is playing football in the wrong era" - is probably a better title.

I think he's born too late and would prefer times back in the day where Jack Gibson would say "Played hard, done good"

Back when you don't throw your arms up after every tackle (Gutherson)
Back when you didn't walk 2 metres off the mark (Latrell)
Back when you weren't a whining little flopping cheating git (moses).

The game was played tough and hard.

Now it's all about finding loopholes in every rule and exploiting them as refs are just too stupid to rule 'the game.'

Remember when the nrl cracked down on defensive players getting in the way of passes from dummy half? One weekend a player (Parra probably) threw the ball straight down from dummy half, into a defensive player on the ground, and the defensive player got penalised!! That was so bad the nrl had to change the rule-ish.

Or when Parra started using the captains challenge to cover their own mistakes
Or when 'coincidentally' a Parra forward always had a 'head knock' around the 20 min mark, getting a free interchange.
Or the storm basically inventing numerous tackles to hurt players.

It's like Jake was made for the old, honourable times, people like moses (and others) are made for the current loophole, whining, diving times.

Now that said, Jake has to learn not to get involved in the defensive line, or anywhere near it because the players of today will walk / run into him if the ball starts coming their way.

We saw it, some are happy with it, some aren't - I'm not putting a case forward either way.

I just wonder if Jake sits at home sometimes wishing for a simpler time of honourable play?

Ok coffee has worn off.

Go Manly!

Stuey Davis’s Socks

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Jake Trbojevic set to be Blues new skipper​

Michael Maguire is set to make his first major call of NSW’s Origin campaign by handing Manly warhorse Jake Trbojevic the captaincy for game one of the series.
The Sea Eagles veteran is poised to take over from incumbent skipper James Tedesco as the Blues leader and start the series in the front row.
The move to install Trbojevic as his captain is the clearest indication yet that Tedesco is in danger of losing his fullback spot to Penrith’s Dylan Edwards.
Jake Trbojevic is set to be named as the Blues new Origin captain.

Jake Trbojevic is set to be named as the Blues new Origin captain.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
Tedesco has been NSW skipper since midway through the 2020 series after replacing clubmate Boyd Cordner, and has played 22 straight games for the Blues as one of the state’s greatest ever fullbacks.
Trbojevic’s rise to lead NSW is set to pit him against Manly teammate and entrenched Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans.
Trbojevic, 30, has been a Blues regular throughout 16 appearances aside from his controversial axing by previous NSW coach Brad Fittler for game one, 2022, before being recalled for the following match.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Jake Trbojevic set to be Blues new skipper​

Michael Maguire is set to make his first major call of NSW’s Origin campaign by handing Manly warhorse Jake Trbojevic the captaincy for game one of the series.
The Sea Eagles veteran is poised to take over from incumbent skipper James Tedesco as the Blues leader and start the series in the front row.
The move to install Trbojevic as his captain is the clearest indication yet that Tedesco is in danger of losing his fullback spot to Penrith’s Dylan Edwards.
Jake Trbojevic is set to be named as the Blues new Origin captain.

Jake Trbojevic is set to be named as the Blues new Origin captain.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
Tedesco has been NSW skipper since midway through the 2020 series after replacing clubmate Boyd Cordner, and has played 22 straight games for the Blues as one of the state’s greatest ever fullbacks.
Trbojevic’s rise to lead NSW is set to pit him against Manly teammate and entrenched Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans.
Trbojevic, 30, has been a Blues regular throughout 16 appearances aside from his controversial axing by previous NSW coach Brad Fittler for game one, 2022, before being recalled for the following match.
This **** makes me warm and fuzzy. Love the jake

Both state captains but seem to lack leadership and composure on the field. .

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Some more from Chammas and co. at the SMH:

3.37pm

Jake the great: Trbojevic’s leadership credentials​

So, Jake Trbojevic as captain - one of the biggest calls of Michael Maguire’s career, and in recent NSW history.

It remains to be seen if James Tedesco remains in the wider squad, but all indications are Dylan Edwards will get the nod as fullback and it’s unlikely an out and out No.1 will be carried as cover outside the Blues 17.

There’s also the question of whether a co-captain is needed given Trbojevic can play 80 minutes, but is no certainty to do so in the Origin furnace.

The Manly man has long been treasured by his teammates for his selfless and wholehearted approach to the game. As Andrew Webster wrote after Origin I in 2022, Brad Fittler and his coaching staff knew they’d made a mistake by axing Trbojevic, and rushed him back in for what was eventually a thumping win over Queensland in Perth.

He’s also one of the nicest people in the game, regularly whispering an apology to some poor opponent he’s just cut in half with a textbook tackle.
Tom and Jake Trbojevic celebrate the Blues’ Origin win in 2018.

Tom and Jake Trbojevic celebrate the Blues’ Origin win in 2018.CREDIT: GETTY

Without question, he’s a genuine leader. But Trbojevic has rarely captained given Daly Cherry-Evans has been in charge, and fit for pretty much all of his career at Manly.

Trbojevic first captained the Sea Eagles in 2016, just his second full season of NRL, standing in for Jamie Lyon.

In all, he’s captained the club 14 times - for five wins and nine losses, and last took charge in 2022 when Cherry-Evans was unavailable.

And for the record, Tedesco hadn’t captained a team at senior level at all when he took over as NSW skipper during the end-of-season 2020 Origin series after concussion ruled Boyd Cordner.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Roy in the SMH. He is in Jake’s ‘corner’:

OPINION​

Maguire’s call on Tedesco will decide NSW’s Origin fate​

1716704003499.png

Roy Masters

Sports Columnist
May 24, 2024 — 11.30am

Captaincy in Origin is critical and NSW coach Michael “Madge” Maguire has some difficult decisions should he drop the incumbent skipper, James Tedesco, from the opening game on June 5.

The pace of Origin requires quicker thinking than in club football, or even Test matches. There is no time for committee meetings, given the reduced number of penalties and therefore fewer stoppages.

An Origin captain must gain the trust of 18 players who could come from as many as a dozen NRL clubs. He effectively has only a month to build that trust, given the Origin series are sometimes decided by the second match.

Queensland historically draw their players from fewer NRL clubs and have a number of fit alternatives if half Daly Cherry-Evans is unavailable. Melbourne’s Harry Grant and the Dragons’ Ben Hunt are both club captains and play spine roles.

Madge does not have the same luxury of choice, particularly if Tedesco is dropped. The Roosters captain has led the Blues since the second game of 2020, yet NSW have won only the 2021 series in the years since. Many are calling for the inclusion of the Panthers fullback, Dylan Edwards. The modern game is all about territory gained from the backfield and Edwards has carved out an expressway of running metres compared to “Teddy”.

Should Edwards be chosen, there is no standout alternative as Blues captain. Isaah Yeo is co-captain at the Panthers but this is partly to free the younger Nathan Cleary from off-field duties. Some see him as a bench player in Origin, given his skill is passing, rather than carrying the ball forward in the opening intensity of these fierce encounters.
Jake Trbojevic, Isaah Yeo and James Tedesco

Jake Trbojevic, Isaah Yeo and James TedescoCREDIT: GETTY IMAGES/NRL IMAGERY/NATHAN PERRI

Cronulla’s Cameron McInnes is a fearless, hard-working leader at his club, but it would be a giant leap of faith to award him the captaincy in his first Origin match. Stephen Crichton skippers the Bulldogs but plays centre, too far removed from the decision-making spine. Api Koroisau, who tirelessly leads Wests Tigers, is another option. Manly’s Jake Trbojevic is not his club’s captain but is a player the All Blacks would call a “blue head”.

A “blue head” to the All Blacks can be passionate but is sufficiently composed to cope with the notoriously unexpected twists of fortune in Origins and Rugby World Cup finals and can adjust the match plan.

A “red head” is one who lets his passion and emotion take over and derail that match plan.
The Blues’ recent skippers have been too red-headed. When an Origin match turned against NSW Paul Gallen, captain from 2013 until 2016, was determined to win it on his own, taking the ball relentlessly forward, believing that leading by example would extricate his team from the looming loss. Ditto Tedesco. In the 2022 series, he began desperately positioning himself around the ruck, inserting himself as a first or second receiver, rather than act as a tackle-busting support player.
Paul Gallen tried to do it all for NSW.

Paul Gallen tried to do it all for NSW.CREDIT: GETTY

Compare this with the “blue heads” who led Queensland in their historic streak of wins. Hooker Cameron Smith, half Cooper Cronk and fullback Billy Slater – all from the same Melbourne club. They composed the Maroons when Origin games were in the balance. In more recent times, Cherry-Evans has played that clear thinking role.

A good example of the need to throw the switch to blue occurred in the 2023 NRL grand final. The Broncos, leading by 16 points after an Ezra Mam hat-trick, should have closed the match down. Rather than let his young team seek to run up the score, captain Adam Reynolds should have instructed them to complete their sets, kick to the corners and generally play safety first.

Instead, it was Penrith’s Cleary who pulled on the blue head and played a composed, calculating game, freed to play wider by replacement Jack Cogger who shared the first receiver role.

Given that Cleary is only 26 and a future NSW captain for five years, his Origin-ending hamstring injury must have made Madge feel like the admiral who saw his favourite ship sink.

NSW have had red-headed leaders before such as Tom Raudonikis.

Steve Mortimer’s hair is really red but he reserved all his red-headed fury for the preparation of the team, including the legendary bus trip past the Caxton hotel in 1985 when he fired up the team, as beer-soaked Maroon supporters banged on the bus. On the field, Mortimer was blue-headed.

RELATED ARTICLE
Too many rocks, not enough diamonds this season for Latrell Mitchell to be picked for NSW for Origin I.

Opinion​

State of Origin

Why Michael Maguire simply cannot pick Latrell Mitchell for Origin I

Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Chief Sports Writer

Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler, both NSW captains and later coaches, had their blue headed moments on the field.

Significantly, NSW play in blue jumpers and Queensland in red ... well, maroon. In an Origin series in danger of being pulled down by a purgatory of injury, Madge’s best option is to start Jake Trbojevic as a blue-headed leader in the brutal beginning to the game. He can then bring on Yeo to help direct the team when the game plan needs to change from sledgehammer to rapier thrust.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
I always have a laugh when all the Silvertails ‘experts’ bag Jake and DCE.

I watch almost all games over the round, and when you see other teams halves and tackling machines, I’m always glad ours are Jake and DCE, who will now both captain there states.

Yes both aren’t perfect and I would love to see DCE not kick early, not throw erratic passes. I would love to see Jake get a head of steam and run onto the ball more, but if you watch other games, just look at other teams and how there players play week in week out.

The Silvertail experts must really be better judges that former elite players, coaches and selectors.

A good friend of mine, who just happens to be in my avatar name, wouldn’t swap either of them in our side, he also would have loved to play along side both. They are his words.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16