The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
It's beyond me why so many people are deathriding a clearly talented kid who is literally working his bum off to be the best he can be ... for us!

To be fair .. and as you know I have crossed swords with the Sir Naysaying Grumblebum. often ... I think his comment is valid ... in that it is directed at what position he is most suited to play ..

.. and for the record .. i don't know what position that is .. yet ..

The schuster appeal is skill And a desire to be a ball player.

youth, inexperience, and game time the obvious hurdles

the biggest challenge will be if Manly can support his growth, and susequent errors.

having tom as a foil will help

the ability to persevere with the shoe depends greatly on DCE to play a stable, error free role that gets us to the right parts of the field, to allow tom and shoe to be dangerous. Once the eyes are off dce he plays best anyway

that seems to me how it should go.

i presume dce plays right to favour his kick. But id like to see sho, oku and saab together as a combo
playing dce left might make his kick a tad harder but it may have a positive effect as he will have to adjust his positioning which has become pretty non competitive

Yep, fingers crossed he'll be able to show us all just how good he can be. So much potential.

I have to say though, if you're expecting a transformed, streamlined Schu, you're going to be disappointed. Even in the IG footage, he looks like a fat bloke running up a hill. But don't be fooled by his body shape. He will always be a big unit, but we need to see that as a strength, not a flaw. All that matters is that he's fit and fast enough to do the job, and I hope he will be.
He has the body shape and the skill set to play the role of an excellent ball-playing lock. Now, if we only had a lock who could also play long minutes as a ball-playing prop, we might be able to resolve a couple of our current issues with our pack. Where do we find that other lock, though??? Perhaps we could look in the 2022 NSW SOO team or even the 2022 Kangaroos :banghead: It's a conundrum, all right.@:cool:

Last edited:
Yep, fingers crossed he'll be able to show us all just how good he can be. So much potential.

I have to say though, if you're expecting a transformed, streamlined Schu, you're going to be disappointed. Even in the IG footage, he looks like a fat bloke running up a hill. But don't be fooled by his body shape. He will always be a big unit, but we need to see that as a strength, not a flaw. All that matters is that he's fit and fast enough to do the job, and I hope he will be.
100% agreed , all that matters is that he's fit and fast enough to do the job .Cannot wait for 2023 to see him play 6 and hopefully calling the shots for a new beginning to Manly's attack . I am so looking forward to Manly playing in the finals next year with the squad we have and less injuries .

yeah, he probably will have to work hard at staying a 6. His body size is advantageous as long as he has results. As soon as his intensity or form drops, there will be calls for backrow.

judge his fitness not his skinfolds. if he gets a job done, then sometimes, especially in pivotal positions you just gotta let it roll a bit

our greatest, clifford lyons smoked in the sheds,

ultimately schusters ballooning weight as opposed to size, is his own personal discipline , which will require some inner strength **** if he gets injured for a long time

COOKIE MONSTER is, and should be his new nickname.
Not Telling you what to think but ………nom nom nom nom
it cant be unseen

The schuster appeal is skill And a desire to be a ball player.

youth, inexperience, and game time the obvious hurdles

the biggest challenge will be if Manly can support his growth, and susequent errors.

having tom as a foil will help

the ability to persevere with the shoe depends greatly on DCE to play a stable, error free role that gets us to the right parts of the field, to allow tom and shoe to be dangerous. Once the eyes are off dce he plays best anyway

that seems to me how it should go.

i presume dce plays right to favour his kick. But id like to see sho, oku and saab together as a combo
playing dce left might make his kick a tad harder but it may have a positive effect as he will have to adjust his positioning which has become pretty non competitive
Whilst I agree with all you say , I still believe if we don't win the ruck and the forward battle it doesn't matter how good your backline is.

Samoa over the weekend was a good example of that , as they were steamrolled up the middle and Leuai and co were unsighted. We really need a forward leader / Enforcer to win the middle and of course an explosive dummy half to capitalise.

Just my opinion.

If one has to start this early to get into the right shape for a season to play a particular "backline/halves position" to me it suggests you are not playing at a sustainable weight range.

You might be able to pull it off a season or two when highly motivated to do so(to prove the doubters wrong) but you will burn out fast and revert back to your natural size if the motivations behind the loss are for the wrong reasons.
If one was told that they are playing second row one year and then 6 the following year,then I am not sure that playing at a sustainable weight range has any meaning.
If you are doing what the staff want(,no evidence against that idea yet) motivation is not really an argument,he is "motivated" to lose the weight because he knows he is playing 6 or he knows that he is playing 6 for real this year and is getting back into the shape requires.

It's beyond me why so many people are deathriding a clearly talented kid who is literally working his bum off to be the best he can be ... for us!
Because there are many who would rather poke their eye out than admit to potentially being wrong.
The excuses/backtracking will come thick and fast if he goes well next year.
Cue for the indignation now.......

Do any of our resident experts/stat guys know how many metres an NRL secondrower covers in a game, vs 5/8s? I'd have thought second row requires at least as much fitness.

Sure, the top 5/8s have some pace and evasion and make the odd long sprint, but the 2nd rowers are constantly running up and down all game. Canny 5/8s like Blake Green didn't look particulary athletic, whereas the top backrowers all seem very lean and incredibly fit.

Different sort of fitness maybe.

Do you think Humphreys will move on, Bear?

If Schuster succeeds at 5/8, would you risk losing Latu or Schuster to other clubs. Bit similar to the Turbo/Gutherson issue. Seems likely Gutho was invited to leave because he was seen as a full back and Turbo was preferred. Its since become obvious that Gutherson could play brilliantly in other positions. Humphries has skill no doubt, but three into two dont go. Maybe Schuster could handle lock, but if he establishes himself as a top class 5/8, what do you do? All conjecture at this stage of course.

If Schuster succeeds at 5/8, would you risk losing Latu or Schuster to other clubs. Bit similar to the Turbo/Gutherson issue. Seems likely Gutho was invited to leave because he was seen as a full back and Turbo was preferred. Its since become obvious that Gutherson could play brilliantly in other positions. Humphries has skill no doubt, but three into two dont go. Maybe Schuster could handle lock, but if he establishes himself as a top class 5/8, what do you do? All conjecture at this stage of course.
Yep, agree it's a prob. Having watched only a bit of both young blokes, I'm not convinced about either of them yet.

Whilst I agree with all you say , I still believe if we don't win the ruck and the forward battle it doesn't matter how good your backline is.

Samoa over the weekend was a good example of that , as they were steamrolled up the middle and Leuai and co were unsighted. We really need a forward leader / Enforcer to win the middle and of course an explosive dummy half to capitalise.

Just my opinion.
100% agree
Forwards win matches ,the backs determine by how much

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11