The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
It is. So was Turbo on the sidelines. So was Walker when he was out for an extended period. Happens
I hope our players and support staff don’t adopt that belief. Helplessness is rarely an empowering quality. I would argue that there is plenty of space for personal responsibility with injuries. I hope they are all focused on what they can do to perform consistently at high levels without injury.

Come back Foz... :)
Will be available in two weeks :)

Foran.jpg

Eagles. Surely its evident by now that Schuster in the forwards is a waste of talent. He did well in 2021 but was playing second fiddle in attack. He's a ball playing five eighth. He cant effectively use that ball playing skill at lock.In his first game this year he set up three tires. That wouldnt happen if he was playing lock. His greatest asset is his skill at setting up others, just like Lyons. Later in his career maybe, but surely you dont inhibit the best skill a player has. Like playing Turbo at hooker. Totally eliminates the best element of his game. Play Schuster at lock and he spends his time tackling and out of the central focus of the attacking play
Thanks @Bearfax I dont believe that I made any suggestion that Schuster should play second fiddle in attack. In fact, I would suggest that he has priority call in most attacking situations. Rather than focussing on just one side, he would have the capacity to set up others in the middle, and on the edges. (Both edges)
Yes, I agree he will make more tackles at lock, but we dont necessarily have to keep him at lock for eighty minutes. Playing him at lock could actually mean he spends more time in the central focus of the attacking play, than he is doing right now.

We need guys like Aloiai and Bullemor playing at lock, because as forwards they get the ball, run hard, get plenty of metres after contact and get the team on the front foot.

For whatever reason, despite his size, I haven't seen much evidence of Josh doing this in his NRL career to date... though he can draw and pass, kick well and make space for his outside men with the best of them.

We need guys like Aloiai and Bullemor playing at lock, because as forwards they get the ball, run hard, get plenty of metres after contact and get the team on the front foot.

For whatever reason, despite his size, I haven't seen much evidence of Josh doing this in his NRL career to date... though he can draw and pass, kick well and make space for his outside men with the best of them.
Imo bully or sipley offer more there than Aloiai

So players like Turbo and Schu are just unlucky? Players like Matt Ballin were just lucky?
Maybe.
As @Bearfax mentioned, injuries happen.
There are plenty of talented players that had their careers truncated through injury.

Mal Meninga on the radio this arvo was asked about injuries ( apart from his broken arm).
Never did a hammy or anything else, just a meniscus.

Then for those of us that are old enough...
l give you Brett Papworth .

Maybe.
As @Bearfax mentioned, injuries happen.
There are plenty of talented players that had their careers truncated through injury.

Mal Meninga on the radio this arvo was asked about injuries ( apart from his broken arm).
Never did a hammy or anything else, just a meniscus.

Then for those of us that are old enough...
l give you Brett Papworth .
You have to ask why some players are constantly injured while others remain injury free. It's hardly luck.

The optimistic side of a player who had constant injuries was Teddy, he has come out the other end of it and proved that it can be done.

Younger players body still growing and the intensity of the contact causing more injuries.

I am under the view Schuster will be a manly great..

I don’t mind him having another week really. It’s an extremely long and gruelling season and if he is still not 100% there is not point flogging him this early in the year in his career.
I understand he has had plenty of injuries that’s sidelined him so far but I think it’s the most sensible thing to do by managing his body.
He will get some consistency in stringing some games together but just will come with time.

I don’t mind him having another week really. It’s an extremely long and gruelling season and if he is still not 100% there is not point flogging him this early in the year in his career.
I understand he has had plenty of injuries that’s sidelined him so far but I think it’s the most sensible thing to do by managing his body.
He will get some consistency in stringing some games together but just will come with time.
At this stage very optimistic to think this won't be a play one week, miss the next two, kind of situation

The optimistic side of a player who had constant injuries was Teddy, he has come out the other end of it and proved that it can be done.

Younger players body still growing and the intensity of the contact causing more injuries.

I am under the view Schuster will be a manly great..
Completely different situation to Teddy, who had 2 or 3 freak accidents, ACL, fractured patella, and shoulder. By comparison, a player who suffers recurring strains, corks, and tears of similar nature and all lower leg (calf, ankle, hammy, lower quad) becomes less and less capable each time they recover. It also points to a systemic issue, whether body type, muscle recovery or technique. Diet and sleep, genetics, etc

Thanks @Bearfax I dont believe that I made any suggestion that Schuster should play second fiddle in attack. In fact, I would suggest that he has priority call in most attacking situations. Rather than focussing on just one side, he would have the capacity to set up others in the middle, and on the edges. (Both edges)
Yes, I agree he will make more tackles at lock, but we dont necessarily have to keep him at lock for eighty minutes. Playing him at lock could actually mean he spends more time in the central focus of the attacking play, than he is doing right now.

We saw what impact playing second row had on Schuster. He was good in 2021 but he had to build up weight to cope with the role and lost much of his spark. By 2022 he was a shadow of himself. Forwards do a lot more grunt work playing in the centre of the ruck and they are mainly tackling other big forwards. You dont want to wear out a player with that type of skill taking on big props and second rowers in the middle of the park. He needs room to move and needs to conserve energy.

In 2021 he was doing almost twice the defensive work of Foran, because he was playing in the forwards. And yet he was also playing wide in attack and having to play both roles. That saps energy. To refer back to Turbo, you dont want him doing 25-30 tackles a week (like Schuster was doing in 2021). So far Turbo has done 9 tackles in 4 games. The lock in Manly's side this season on average has done 28 tackles per game. The five eighth 18 tackles (and no doubt much of that is against the smaller players). Makes a difference.

You want your skillful backs to remain as fresh as possible for their attacking ability. Its about conserving energy, the first law of thermodynamics.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11