The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Does anyone know how schu rates defensively?
That’s definitely the area he needs to improve and I’m sure he will, yesterday he made 12 tackles, missed 2, had 4 ineffective for a tackle efficiency of 66.67%. One other notable poor stat was his play the ball speed, I don’t know how many times he played the ball but at almost 7 second 6.88 it was the standout worst compared to the rest of the side and our team average of 3.91.

Schuster is the key to our season, we can attack all sides of the park, rather than a handbrake on the left, and Toms set play runs are so much stronger on that side and they haven’t been available at all

The defence will come, I’d rather have his creatively out there at the risk of conceding a try or 2

Where are all the pelicans that have been having pathetic little cheap shots at him ?

are you suggesting his past 3 years have been without cause for criticism ?...

Nobody ... absolutely nobody has ever questioned his talent ... Can you name one pelican who said he didn't have talent in spades ?

But a fair few "pelicans" have questioned his attitude and commitment .... and the fact that after 3 years the bloke had to be told to go away to get himself fit and focused .... does everything to prove that those criticising him have been 100% correct and justified ...

You’re gon

To uphold this truth you assert, you’re gonna need to explain all the injuries he copped when he was playing junior football at 6. You’re also gonna need to explain the injuries he copped this year playing 6.

Back row was not suddenly the cause of his injuries; he has been plagued by them his entire career. He missed a ton of junior football, long before Des played him in the back row.

It’s great that he played well yesterday and good luck to him but it doesn’t suddenly change the narrative that led to this point. He’s not perfect and he doesn’t need to be…but let’s not fabricate the truth to suit an agenda, when the truth is staring everyone in the face. He has his fitness concerns and many injuries, independent of where he was positioned.

It is possible to be a fan of Josh and concede that he is fallible.
If you can come up with a 5/8 in the history of rugby that was signed to play there and ended up in the second row then I will let you know on the truth you are after .Everyone on here has an opinion but the majority are not true .Schuster is not perfect but Manly needs him fit to help the team win the bloody competition . Let's go Manly .

Nobody ... absolutely nobody has ever questioned his talent ... Can you name one pelican who said he didn't have talent in spades ?

But a fair few "pelicans" have questioned his attitude and commitment .... and the fact that after 3 years the bloke had to be told to go away to get himself fit and focused .... does everything to prove that those criticising him have been 100% correct and justified ...

There is a difference between football and hard work criticism, and pathetic little fat jokes and nudges at his character etc

Nobody has questioned his talent ? Lol, don’t think you have to go back too many pages in this exact topic to see that comment is fanciful

Nobody has questioned his talent ? Lol, don’t think you have to go back too many pages in this exact topic to see that comment is fanciful
I think he can fairly be questioned around his tackling as it currently stands. I also think it was fair to question his application to his fitness and getting himself right to play. He still has some ways to go to show he wants it and is willing to do what it takes to overcome those challenges. It was very encouraging for all of us fans to see him on the field and showing moments of brilliance yesterday. We all want him to go on building from this and not slip back into on again off again. Personally, I think he will make it now, barring injury.

There is a difference between football and hard work criticism, and pathetic little fat jokes and nudges at his character etc

Then do it ... go back and find and name these imaginary people that you say said he didn't have talent

and if you are a fulltime professional football player in his 3rd year as a pro being paid an estimated $600k a year ... and you turn up looking fat and unfit ... and are told to go away ...

... then being the brunt of fat jokes is the very least you could expect ...

One swallow may not make a summer, but people were quite happy to have one swallow making a whole career after 1 bad performance against the Tigers …
Well, you can frame it that way to suit your argument, but the criticism was far from based on one game... and you know it.

It appears that the nature of Schuster's metabolism is that he quickly gains weight when he can't do aerobic fitness work such as running. Obviously, he requires a special diet as well. As far as motivation goes, I think Snake could be helpful. To play football at such a consistent high level over many years with T1 Diabetes required very dedicated health management. Hopefully, Schuster can have a long successful career. He has the potential to be one of the best ball players ever.

One swallow may not make a summer, but people were quite happy to have one swallow making a whole career after 1 bad performance against the Tigers …

Seriously ... one bad performance? ... after 3 years of disappointment ... you think the criticism was because of one bad performance ? ...

Good grief ... I hope you're not an Historian ...

I think he can fairly be questioned around his tackling as it currently stands. I also think it was fair to question his application to his fitness and getting himself right to play. He still has some ways to go to show he wants it and is willing to do what it takes to overcome those challenges. It was very encouraging for all of us fans to see him on the field and showing moments of brilliance yesterday. We all want him to go on building from this and not slip back into on again off again. Personally, I think he will make it now, barring injury.
yep he has work to do on all areas of his game, and defence is the most glaring aspect. But he is also very early 20s with less than 50 so that is to be expected

He has just learnt a fair bit about what isn’t required through leg injuries, and hopefully applies that when the next one comes up, we will wait and see

1 of my pet hates with the modern game is how players all need to fit in a cookie cutter mould of what they should look like, and athletes rather the footy talent has been the result of it. Latrell Mitchell also used to cop a lot about carrying some timber, he hasn’t lost any of that timber and now with a prolonged run on the park it isn’t hurting him at all

It appears that the nature of Schuster's metabolism is that he quickly gains weight when he can't do aerobic fitness work such as running. Obviously, he requires a special diet as well. As far as motivation goes, I think Snake could be helpful. To play football at such a consistent high level over many years with T1 Diabetes required very dedicated health management. Hopefully, Schuster can have a long successful career. He has the potential to be one of the best ball players ever.
Agree.

Those of us around to be privileged watching the great Cliffy play, know he wasn't exactly the most dedicated to his health and fitness... relied on his freakish talent, which worked in that day and age. He was also relatively robust and hardy as a player. Footy has changed too much and it isn't as easy to coast by on talent anymore, without some dedication to your fitness. That said, Latrell is somewhat of an anomaly.

Seriously ... one bad performance? ... after 3 years of disappointment ... you think the criticism was because of one bad performance ? ...

Good grief ... I hope you're not an Historian ...
3 years of disappointment ?

Debuted in 2020, impressive on debut, but injured himself

2021 - Really good season in the 2nd row, not sure what the disappointment was there aside from missing some games injured ?

2022 - Disappointing season all round, with injuries and form

2023 - His first extended crack at 6, injuries disappointing, but if not man of the match against the Eels, in the top handful. Good again against Souths. Awful against the Tigers then very good again yesterday against the Eels

Last edited:
1 of my pet hates with the modern game is how players all need to fit in a cookie cutter mould of what they should look like, and athletes rather the footy talent has been the result of it. Latrell Mitchell also used to cop a lot about carrying some timber, he hasn’t lost any of that timber and now with a prolonged run on the park it isn’t hurting him at all
Yeah, I get this, Kiwi. I hate seeing the shift away from natural footy players to athletes. I'm happy for players to find their own way of making it happen. Nevertheless, if that way is not cutting it in the NRL then they need to adapt. Schu's injury history makes it difficult for him to carry too much timber. It's in his own interest to manage his weight.

If you can come up with a 5/8 in the history of rugby that was signed to play there and ended up in the second row then I will let you know on the truth you are after .Everyone on here has an opinion but the majority are not true .Schuster is not perfect but Manly needs him fit to help the team win the bloody competition . Let's go Manly .
That’s completely irrelevant to your argument…what he was signed to do and where he ended up, has nothing to do with injuries that occurred in the years preceding his move to an edge?! What you’re essentially saying is that his many injuries in his junior football occurred because one day in the future, Des will pick him to play second row? 😂

Is this some kind of fairy tale, sleeping beauty, Shakespearean prophecy type arrangement or? He was injured after debuting at 6 and wasn’t sighted for the rest of the year; was that due to playing in the second row the following season? Oh, and why was his largest tally of games played, the same year he suited up in the back row?

I love Schu and I’m stoked to see him perform so well…but I’m not going to let that get in the way of the truth. If you choose to, that’s your prerogative and we can leave it at that.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8