The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

The worry for me is he's going to be defending inside Brooks on the left edge. For eighty minutes. That is going to be an issue.

Burbo and Parker are much safer options defensively here.
Sure, Burbo and Parker are better defensively but Schuster gives us more attacking options tho. Just need to get the 2021 Schuster type model on the field again this season. Let's all hope this is going to happen.

for team purpose schuster is best suited as a bench player when you need a gamebreaker or you lose a half. 15 minutes a week until he conquers his 15 minutes. He will overplay a few also but he is the kind of player thats wants to make a difference in games

bench 2 forwards, schu , dummy half
every week

for team purpose schuster is best suited as a bench player when you need a gamebreaker or you lose a half. 15 minutes a week until he conquers his 15 minutes. He will overplay a few also but he is the kind of player thats wants to make a difference in games

every week
Absolutely agree. Probably bring him out towards the backend of both halves actually. This will be my last comment on the Shu as I think the fewer words said about the young guy, the better for him. Less pressure and just allow him to focus on his fitness. The rest I am sure will happen naturally. Slow burn here.

every week

15mins work/week for $800k/year.
Sign me up!

This 800k figure is BS and needs to stop. He's even said it's BS. He's closer to 550k
Every news article uses it. I find it very annoying!

On another note, I have to strongly disagree that Schuster is a bench player. When he plays his best he waits for moments in games, reads the play and takes an opportunity. Whenever he has come off the bench with limited minutes he’s tried to either create something when it’s not on or done absolutely nothing for his stint.

I believe he needs to play long minutes. Of course, at full fitness, but he’s too talented to be sitting on the pine for 60 mins.

Some of the apologists for Schu and his potential is eerily similar to the passes Latrell receives… except Schu hasn’t gone close to producing anything like Latrell on-field yet.

This 800k figure is BS and needs to stop. He's even said it's BS. He's closer to 550k
I would not admit to taking $400K if I played with the same level of “intensity” that the Schu has for the last 2 years… it’s bloody good money for a turnstile…
I tried to get on the Schu bandwagon last year as the kid seems to want to be at Manly but I just do not see where he fits in now… honestly, if he is now a 2nd rower than I would rather have Parker in that position…
I could count on one hand the amount of highlight reel moments from last year (and 2 were intercepts) and I think it is obvious that he is not going to be that “generational” player many thought nor “the best in the game” that the Schu himself aspired to…

I don't know if this has been posted previously - a podcast with Josh in June 2023

Thanks @40 nil - that was an interesting watch…

Obviously a nice kid and I genuinely hope he succeeds… some of the comments concern me though as I am not convinced that his learning “you can’t survive just on talent in the NRL” and his approach “I don’t really listen to the coaches” (even if that IS “in a good way” 😆) really marry up…

Structure is such a massively important part of rugba leeg at NRL-level…yes, do what got you here but pick your moments… and defence is the less flashy part of the game but is every bit as important as creating points…

Good watch tho and good luck to the kid - hope he sticks it right up the doubters like me…

The Shu and Father time .....
By the end of the year we will see what platform the Shu will build for his footy career

If we just let him play without all the outside noise from all the so called experts and critics he could be anything.

Message to all you critics if your a Manly fan you know your not helping his cause and most of his critics and the media are not Manly fans and so they want him to fail because they know if he doesn't then Manly succeed.

So think about that.. if he was your family would you be kicking him every chance you get or encouraging him to get up and go harder... just a thought

If we just let him play without all the outside noise from all the so called experts and critics he could be anything.

Message to all you critics if your a Manly fan you know your not helping his cause and most of his critics and the media are not Manly fans and so they want him to fail because they know if he doesn't then Manly succeed.

So think about that.. if he was your family would you be kicking him every chance you get or encouraging him to get up and go harder... just a thought
I can empathise with your good intensions sentiments feathered fried @Jay Eagle
The way I see it is that we can not live in a plastic bubble and expect to be able to build resilience and survive in a real judgemental harsh world
We do not build resilience by hiding from reality
In order to over come our challenges we must first face them and learn to conquer them
For example taking everything with a grain of salt

The moral of the story
Never hide
Face , Embrace Defy and Conquer
1708670224476.png

If your performance is determined by the actions of the media or fanbase then you have no place in professional sport. I appreciate the sentiment and care for one of our players, but he alone can rise above the noise, the criticism, and distractions... no fan base can do it for him.

If your performance is determined by the actions of the media or fanbase then you have no place in professional sport. I appreciate the sentiment and care for one of our players, but he alone can rise above the noise, the criticism, and distractions... no fan base can do it for him.
Ain’t no fan missing the tackles for him or failing to make the extra efforts…
If he was not the junior league “superstar” than we would not even be having these conversations as he is holding his place on reputation rather than achievement…
Best thing Schu has going for him atm is lack of depth in our forwards - he couldn’t hold onto a halves position and he will want to turn it around quick or he will miss his opportunity to lock down an edge forward role…
He has got even bigger problems if his lack of form/consistency is the result of fan noise…

Ain’t no fan missing the tackles for him or failing to make the extra efforts…
If he was not the junior league “superstar” than we would not even be having these conversations as he is holding his place on reputation rather than achievement…
Best thing Schu has going for him atm is lack of depth in our forwards - he couldn’t hold onto a halves position and he will want to turn it around quick or he will miss his opportunity to lock down an edge forward role…
He has got even bigger problems if his lack of form/consistency is the result of fan noise…
I think his problem,apart from injuries,confidence and discipline,is the fact that the club does have a bit of depth at the moment.Obviously injuries play a big part at the club,but the fact they didn’t wait to see any actual game time to re-sign BenT for 3 seasons,should be alarm bells for Schuster.Theres something going on behind the scenes with Schuster and the club and like a few folks have said on here,it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s not at Manly in ‘25

I would not admit to taking $400K if I played with the same level of “intensity” that the Schu has for the last 2 years… it’s bloody good money for a turnstile…
I tried to get on the Schu bandwagon last year as the kid seems to want to be at Manly but I just do not see where he fits in now… honestly, if he is now a 2nd rower than I would rather have Parker in that position…
I could count on one hand the amount of highlight reel moments from last year (and 2 were intercepts) and I think it is obvious that he is not going to be that “generational” player many thought nor “the best in the game” that the Schu himself aspired to…
He's only 22. He's learning.. making mistakes.. he will mature and improve. He needs time. I feel like just because he's on more money he should be exempt from what other 22 years are allowed. Media pressure is much bigger on him too. He will learn to deal with it. You can't teach the skills he has. He's the same age as Ben T and Ben T doesnt have the pressure or time that he's getting. Too many people jump on Josh back as soon as he has a bad game. I think he's going to defend better in the backrow like did in his first season there. Less reads... the boy can tackle one on one.

Over the years talented kids have not reached their potential for various reasons. I hope he is not one of those.
The Schu saga just reminds me of Moses Suli. Massively talented kid that blitzed all in juniors. It all came too easily for them so they thought 1st grade would be the same. Didn't put in the required work ethics, resulted in injuries which resulted in weight gain and then it's just been a harder and harder cycle to push the body through the pain barriers required to get back to peak condition. Suli has never realised that potential and Schu is headed in the same direction.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8