The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
There is always a plan with Schu. Gonna do this, gonna do that…perception is reality. The reality is he has done nothing except fail up to this point…made some good coin along the way.

Certainly should help him find or eventually find another club somewhere with the base 200 k he will be receiving for a while yet .
Probably may even be content with a basic train and trial arrangement even on a one year deal plus the 200 K . May not have not much choice in the current circumstances playing and fitness wise . For the remainder of this season , could be any variation if a club would be prepared to take him on
No idea what would apply contract wise if he opted to have a crack in the English Super League but would imagine clubs there would be a bit hesitant as well.
Probably his injury prone predicament has been his main problem for some time now and hard to say how that may go in future times .
Really hoped naturally and like many other Manly supporters that he could have been a really successful long termer for the club but just was not to be .
Certainly was not the case for lack of opportunities when all is said and done and in the realistic sense .
Maybe will still be able to utilize well his genuine talent and in many ways will be a shame if he can not .

‘It’s not about money … I felt a weight off my shoulders’: Schuster opens up on Manly departure.

When Josh Schuster walked out of Manly headquarters for the last time in April, he left behind a seven-figure sum of money.

“I walked out of the building with a smile on my face; I’ve never been happier,” Schuster said. “It was a big weight off my shoulders. At the end of the day, we’re human. Hearing and seeing all the [criticism directed at me], it hurts you and your family.

After, I felt a big weight off my shoulders; a big relief, if anything. I know it’s a lot of money, but I don’t play footy for money. I play for the love of the game.

“When I’m happy, I play my best footy; I’m not really that fussed about the money side of it.”

Next season was meant to mark the first of a three-year, $2.4 million contract extension with the Sea Eagles. With it came the expectation that Schuster would fulfil his undoubted potential, including the late, great Bob Fulton’s prediction that he would eventually replace Daly Cherry-Evans as Manly’s captain and chief playmaker.

Instead, the Samoan international finished his Brookvale stint in reserve grade this season and unable to add to his 50 NRL appearances. In a bid to cut their losses, the Sea Eagles provided a $1 million severance package to get him off the books.

It’s obviously sad, but I’m feeling excited for a fresh start,” Schuster said. “I’ve got nothing but love and respect for the boys there, all the coaching staff. I have no negativity towards them at all; I’ve got nothing but love.”
Schuster speaks about playing his best football when he is happy, but he has only just emerged from a difficult period where he was anything but. His was a summer of setbacks: a dose of chickenpox, a spiral fracture of his finger and then a calf strain.

“It was a pretty annoying pre-season,” he said. “It was pretty unlucky.”
And then he had to publicly relive the death of his closest friend, Keith Titmuss, in the witness box during a coronial inquest in February. The coroner, having concluded that Titmuss probably died of exertional heatstroke, recommended a graduated 14-day return-to-training program for players.

“It was a hard time, but it was good for his family that they got all the questions they needed answered,” he said. “That was good, we can finally move on and, hopefully, it doesn’t happen to anyone moving forward.
“It has already started [to make a difference]. All the clubs at the beginning of pre-season have a two-week window to slowly ease into it. We had some meetings at Manly about heatstroke and what not; it’s definitely heading in the right direction.”

There has also been another, deeply personal issue that has weighed heavily on Schuster during the past two years. Only those closest to him truly understand the devastating impact it has had.
“I’ve been battling with some stuff over the past two years,” he said. “That was the main reason I was inconsistent in my performance. The last year I wasn’t really there mentally. I was battling with some stuff off the field that wasn’t making me happy going on the field.
“I’ve got it off my chest now, so I’m a lot better mentally. I’m a lot happier, mentally I’m in a better headspace. When I’m at my fittest and happiest, that’s when I start playing my best footy. If anything, I can’t wait to be back and prove to myself I can do it.”
There is no rush to do so. Several clubs have been in touch with Schuster’s manager in the hope that they can pick up a bargain before the June 30 transfer window. They will have to wait. “I’ll take the rest of the year off to get my body right, my mind right,” he said. “I’ll get ready for the pre-season, that’s pretty much it.”

Instead, the 23-year-old has been working out daily, a regime that often consists of two boxing sessions. The aim is to get his weight down for the next pre-season – “anything under 110kgwould be really good” – with a view to reigniting his career. He intends to do so as a half rather than the back-rower Manly had tried to convert him into.

“Definitely, that’s 100 per cent the plan: to come back as a five-eighth and nothing else,” he said. “The plan is to use this time so that when I head into pre-season I start well.”

Schuster grew up as the latest member of an already famous footballing family. Uncle John Schuster was an All Black who also played for the Newcastle Knights; uncle Peter was an Australian rugby sevens star; great uncle Fred represented New Zealand in union; and grandfather David, who he considers his father and even calls “Dad”, represented Samoa.

Schuster has fueled the expectation, adding bold predictions to a smattering of eye-catching early NRL performances.

I always believed that one day I would be the best player in the game,” Schuster said last May.

He is more circumspect now.

“I’m a confidence kind of guy, but I definitely could have worded that better,” Schuster said when reminded of those comments. “Moving forward, I’m just taking it day by day, bettering myself each day.

“I want to earn my teammates’ respect, putting my head down and working hard. That’s as simple as it gets. No Origin, nothing like that. I just want to earn my teammates’ trust and respect … that’s it.”

What’s the Buzz: Josh Schuster on Manly exit, playing future, weight battle and losing $3.2m deal​

Former Manly star Josh Schuster is back living with his parents in Liverpool on a $400 a week allowance. And it’s the happiest he’s been for a long time.

Josh Schuster has opened up on having his $3 million NRL contract torn up by the Manly Sea Eagles and a two-year mental health battle that has put his footy career at risk.
In a shocking admission, he says: “Stepping away from the game has made me the happiest I’ve been for a long while.”

No pressure, no spotlight, no body shaming, no media abuse.

The 23-year-old, once regarded as rugby league’s next big thing, takes full responsibility for his sacking at Manly but insists he’ll be back next season with another NRL club.

DISAPPEARING ACT​

The best 300 footballers in the NRL are in Brisbane this weekend for Magic Round.

Schuster is at home in the back room of his parents’ home in Liverpool.

He’s on his own, watching all eight games, from kick-off to full time.

“I love Magic Round but, honestly, I’m not envious,” he says.

“It’s a great weekend for the clubs, players and fans but right now I’m loving the break.

Former Sea Eagle Josh Schuster is in a good space. Picture: Tim Hunter

Former Sea Eagle Josh Schuster is in a good space.
“There’s no pressure. I’m relaxed and I’m looking after myself.

“I miss footy every day but I need this time away and I know, long term, it’s best for me.

“I just feel as though there’s an enormous weight off my shoulders.”

$3.2M TO $400 A WEEK​

Most young footballers would be filthy at blowing a $3.2 million opportunity over footy years.

Schuster is not.

He insists: “Money has never been my motivation to play rugby league.”

He has already done well for himself and owns three investment properties in Newcastle, on the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

His mum has always looked after his money.

“She’s gives me $400 a week to live off,” Schuster says.

“Sometimes a bit more but the rest goes into savings or investments.

“Being happy beats having a lot of money anyway.”

It’s quite extraordinary what he says next and gives you an idea of the stress and anxiety he was experiencing.

“I was actually relieved when Manly sacked me,” he says.

“I love the game so much but getting away is the best thing that’s happened to me.”

THE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES​

Schuster has been dealing with deeply private and personal issues.

It’s been a dark period so I decide not to go there for this interview.

At least he is now seeing a psychologist and getting it professionally attended to.

“It’s helping me a lot,” he says. “For the first time I have felt comfortable to open up a little bit and talk to my psychologist about it.

“It’s stuff I’ve been battling with for a long time that I’ve now been able to get off my chest and I’m feeling heaps better for it.

“It’s very important for my mind and it’s very important to sort out before I play again.”

WHY SCHUSTER WON’T PLAY AGAIN IN 2024​

Schuster has abandoned plans to play again this year, despite some interest from clubs.

He sent his agent, Mario Tartak, a text message last week, asking him to advise clubs he would not be available until next season.

“I’ve decided 2024 is now about getting my mind and body right,” Schuster says.

Schuster playing reserve grade for Blacktown. Picture: NRL Images

Schuster playing reserve grade for Blacktown.

“I’ll be ready and injury free in October for a full off-season.

“It’s important that I don’t rush this. I want to give this another crack but only when I’m in the best space to be able to perform to the best of my ability.”

THE FORAN HEART-TO-HEART​

Two weeks ago, Kieran Foran was about to have lunch with his wife at Pacific Fair on the Gold Coast. By chance, they bumped into Schuster and Tartak at the shopping centre.

“I said, ‘Let’s go and have a coffee’,” Foran said. “I just wanted to check on him because he’s a great young man and I like him a lot.

“And so we began chatting and I started sharing my story, which wasn’t too dissimilar to his.

“He didn’t really know that I’d walked away from rugby league at 25.

“That I was in a really bad way and tried to take my own life.

“I just wanted him to know it’s not the end of the road.

“I told him he’s got the world ahead of him but he’s gotta make a choice. He’s had challenges professionally and personally.

“But he’s a unique talent. He can come back and really make a fist of it if he really wants to.”

Kieran Foran had a chance catch up with Schuster. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images

Kieran Foran had a chance catch up with Schuster.

SEA EAGLES’ EXIT & POSITIONAL CALL​

Schuster in no way blames anyone at Brookvale for having his contract torn up.

However, he does admit to being disappointed when the club first signed Luke Brooks in his position.

“To be honest, I wanted to play five-eighth,” he says.

“Seibs knew that but, at the same time, I knew where he was coming from.

“I hadn’t had a good year. I wasn’t consistent enough.

“Wherever I go next I want to be a five-eighth.”

He says the support from the players, including senior guys like Daly Cherry-Evans and Tom Trbojevic, has been overwhelming.

“Chez, Turbo and all the boys have reached out,” he said.

“They tell me to keep my head up and work hard.

“It’s really encouraging and it’s important because you can have doubts.

“Should I even be playing again? That sort of stuff.

“Also, I can’t speak highly enough of Seibs. He’s been honest and upfront all the way.

“This is my fault, no one else. I’ve got to own it without making excuses.”

He has also become close to impressive young horse trainer Will Freedman, who has become a mentor.

‘WAY TOO BIG’: THE WEIGHT ISSUE​

Last year Schuster moved from Liverpool to Manly, right opposite several takeaway food shops.

“I blew out to 123kg, way too big,” Schuster says.

“I love KFC. I love the wicked wings. Sometimes I’d go pretty much every day.

“There was all the personal stuff going on. To ease the pain, you eat the wrong stuff. I had junk food.

Schuster has already begin dropping weight. Picture: Tim Hunter

Schuster has already begin dropping weight.

“Some people struggling turn to drugs and alcohol. For me it was a crappy diet.”

Schuster is now back at home with mum, dad and four sisters.

I ask him when he last went to KFC.

“I don’t remember, maybe six weeks or a couple of months,” he says.

“Mum is cooking me healthy meals now. I’m down to 116kg, the goal is 106kg

“When you’re happier without the pressure you eat well. I’m starting to wake up happy every morning.”

ROAD BACK TO THE NRL​

Trainer Huss El-Achrafi looks after a number of Manly’s NRL players, including Hamoale Olakau’atu, Jason Saab and Josh Aloiai. He has worked with Schuster since SG Ball junior reps.

The Hoxton Park sessions with Schuster begin each day at 6am.

“Josh has been smashing his training,” El-Achrafi says. “He’s doing two or three sessions a day.

“We’re trying to drop his weight but build more muscle and power.

“At the moment he’s dropped six or seven kilos. It’s getting his eating habits right as well.

“It’s not a race or a rush. I want him to maintain it long term.”

This program is about getting his mind right as much as his fitness.

Schuster still loves rugby league, but is relishing the break. Picture: NRL Images

Schuster still loves rugby league, but is relishing the break.

“A lot of it was stress eating,” El-Achrafi said.

“People do it to comfort themselves after a bad day.

“Josh was getting a lot of head noise and just kept eating.

“You don’t know what was going on inside his head.

“This time away is very important. He’ll be ready to start an off-season in October, I can guarantee you that.”

AND FINALLY …​

To sit down with this young man for coffee was quite an experience.

You could almost see the relief in his face.

That he was getting this much-needed break from the pressure and demands of playing NRL football.

And that it will be beneficial in the long run.

What’s the Buzz: Josh Schuster on Manly exit, playing future, weight battle and losing $3.2m deal​

Former Manly star Josh Schuster is back living with his parents in Liverpool on a $400 a week allowance. And it’s the happiest he’s been for a long time.

Josh Schuster has opened up on having his $3 million NRL contract torn up by the Manly Sea Eagles and a two-year mental health battle that has put his footy career at risk.
In a shocking admission, he says: “Stepping away from the game has made me the happiest I’ve been for a long while.”

No pressure, no spotlight, no body shaming, no media abuse.

The 23-year-old, once regarded as rugby league’s next big thing, takes full responsibility for his sacking at Manly but insists he’ll be back next season with another NRL club.

DISAPPEARING ACT​

The best 300 footballers in the NRL are in Brisbane this weekend for Magic Round.

Schuster is at home in the back room of his parents’ home in Liverpool.

He’s on his own, watching all eight games, from kick-off to full time.

“I love Magic Round but, honestly, I’m not envious,” he says.

“It’s a great weekend for the clubs, players and fans but right now I’m loving the break.

Former Sea Eagle Josh Schuster is in a good space. Picture: Tim Hunter

Former Sea Eagle Josh Schuster is in a good space.
“There’s no pressure. I’m relaxed and I’m looking after myself.

“I miss footy every day but I need this time away and I know, long term, it’s best for me.

“I just feel as though there’s an enormous weight off my shoulders.”

$3.2M TO $400 A WEEK​

Most young footballers would be filthy at blowing a $3.2 million opportunity over footy years.

Schuster is not.

He insists: “Money has never been my motivation to play rugby league.”

He has already done well for himself and owns three investment properties in Newcastle, on the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

His mum has always looked after his money.

“She’s gives me $400 a week to live off,” Schuster says.

“Sometimes a bit more but the rest goes into savings or investments.

“Being happy beats having a lot of money anyway.”

It’s quite extraordinary what he says next and gives you an idea of the stress and anxiety he was experiencing.

“I was actually relieved when Manly sacked me,” he says.

“I love the game so much but getting away is the best thing that’s happened to me.”

THE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES​

Schuster has been dealing with deeply private and personal issues.

It’s been a dark period so I decide not to go there for this interview.

At least he is now seeing a psychologist and getting it professionally attended to.

“It’s helping me a lot,” he says. “For the first time I have felt comfortable to open up a little bit and talk to my psychologist about it.

“It’s stuff I’ve been battling with for a long time that I’ve now been able to get off my chest and I’m feeling heaps better for it.

“It’s very important for my mind and it’s very important to sort out before I play again.”

WHY SCHUSTER WON’T PLAY AGAIN IN 2024​

Schuster has abandoned plans to play again this year, despite some interest from clubs.

He sent his agent, Mario Tartak, a text message last week, asking him to advise clubs he would not be available until next season.

“I’ve decided 2024 is now about getting my mind and body right,” Schuster says.

Schuster playing reserve grade for Blacktown. Picture: NRL Images

Schuster playing reserve grade for Blacktown.

“I’ll be ready and injury free in October for a full off-season.

“It’s important that I don’t rush this. I want to give this another crack but only when I’m in the best space to be able to perform to the best of my ability.”

THE FORAN HEART-TO-HEART​

Two weeks ago, Kieran Foran was about to have lunch with his wife at Pacific Fair on the Gold Coast. By chance, they bumped into Schuster and Tartak at the shopping centre.

“I said, ‘Let’s go and have a coffee’,” Foran said. “I just wanted to check on him because he’s a great young man and I like him a lot.

“And so we began chatting and I started sharing my story, which wasn’t too dissimilar to his.

“He didn’t really know that I’d walked away from rugby league at 25.

“That I was in a really bad way and tried to take my own life.

“I just wanted him to know it’s not the end of the road.

“I told him he’s got the world ahead of him but he’s gotta make a choice. He’s had challenges professionally and personally.

“But he’s a unique talent. He can come back and really make a fist of it if he really wants to.”

Kieran Foran had a chance catch up with Schuster. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images

Kieran Foran had a chance catch up with Schuster.

SEA EAGLES’ EXIT & POSITIONAL CALL​

Schuster in no way blames anyone at Brookvale for having his contract torn up.

However, he does admit to being disappointed when the club first signed Luke Brooks in his position.

“To be honest, I wanted to play five-eighth,” he says.

“Seibs knew that but, at the same time, I knew where he was coming from.

“I hadn’t had a good year. I wasn’t consistent enough.

“Wherever I go next I want to be a five-eighth.”

He says the support from the players, including senior guys like Daly Cherry-Evans and Tom Trbojevic, has been overwhelming.

“Chez, Turbo and all the boys have reached out,” he said.

“They tell me to keep my head up and work hard.

“It’s really encouraging and it’s important because you can have doubts.

“Should I even be playing again? That sort of stuff.

“Also, I can’t speak highly enough of Seibs. He’s been honest and upfront all the way.

“This is my fault, no one else. I’ve got to own it without making excuses.”

He has also become close to impressive young horse trainer Will Freedman, who has become a mentor.

‘WAY TOO BIG’: THE WEIGHT ISSUE​

Last year Schuster moved from Liverpool to Manly, right opposite several takeaway food shops.

“I blew out to 123kg, way too big,” Schuster says.

“I love KFC. I love the wicked wings. Sometimes I’d go pretty much every day.

“There was all the personal stuff going on. To ease the pain, you eat the wrong stuff. I had junk food.

Schuster has already begin dropping weight. Picture: Tim Hunter

Schuster has already begin dropping weight.

“Some people struggling turn to drugs and alcohol. For me it was a crappy diet.”

Schuster is now back at home with mum, dad and four sisters.

I ask him when he last went to KFC.

“I don’t remember, maybe six weeks or a couple of months,” he says.

“Mum is cooking me healthy meals now. I’m down to 116kg, the goal is 106kg

“When you’re happier without the pressure you eat well. I’m starting to wake up happy every morning.”

ROAD BACK TO THE NRL​

Trainer Huss El-Achrafi looks after a number of Manly’s NRL players, including Hamoale Olakau’atu, Jason Saab and Josh Aloiai. He has worked with Schuster since SG Ball junior reps.

The Hoxton Park sessions with Schuster begin each day at 6am.

“Josh has been smashing his training,” El-Achrafi says. “He’s doing two or three sessions a day.

“We’re trying to drop his weight but build more muscle and power.

“At the moment he’s dropped six or seven kilos. It’s getting his eating habits right as well.

“It’s not a race or a rush. I want him to maintain it long term.”

This program is about getting his mind right as much as his fitness.

Schuster still loves rugby league, but is relishing the break. Picture: NRL Images

Schuster still loves rugby league, but is relishing the break.

“A lot of it was stress eating,” El-Achrafi said.

“People do it to comfort themselves after a bad day.

“Josh was getting a lot of head noise and just kept eating.

“You don’t know what was going on inside his head.

“This time away is very important. He’ll be ready to start an off-season in October, I can guarantee you that.”

AND FINALLY …​

To sit down with this young man for coffee was quite an experience.

You could almost see the relief in his face.

That he was getting this much-needed break from the pressure and demands of playing NRL football.

And that it will be beneficial in the long run.
Good story. Good luck to him, I hope he gets his life together and gets himself back to footy when he is good and ready, wishing him all the best for the future. He has won his first battle by taking responsibility of his actions and not blaming anybody else

Last edited:
It's all just a word salad, he won't play NRL again. It's just not in him. Blessed with natural talent but hasn't got the heart to put in the hard yards at the top level. He cashed out, good luck to him.
5/8 please 🙄

Nice story,but don’t pull out the sympathy card(journos doing,nothing on Schuster)by making a headline that he’s on $400 a week.Given the current economical situation most families are facing,not sure telling us that does any favours for him

Nice story,but don’t pull out the sympathy card(journos doing,nothing on Schuster)by making a headline that he’s on $400 a week.Given the current economical situation most families are facing,not sure telling us that does any favours for him
Yeah I thought the same thing. It’s just his Mum drip feeding him his fortune to ensure he doesn’t waste it, which is completely reasonable. But yeah, multiple investment properties, a 1mil payout and an annual salary over 600k in the previous three or four years, says he ain’t short of a dime 😂

I'd have a smile on my face to with $1m and 3 investment properties, and mum looking after his money and investments.
Best of luck Josh and enjoy the good life.
Courtesy of the Manly-Warringah club. One of the Fulton legacies that keeps on giving, to Josh. How many 20 somethings have 2-3 investment properties? Let alone one property that they live in themselves, whilst paying a mortgage. A smarter journo might not have mentioned that titbit of information.

Now that the pouty one has flocked off, I can say what I really think.

Courtesy of the Manly-Warringah club. One of the Fulton legacies that keeps on giving, to Josh. How many 20 somethings have 2-3 investment properties? Let alone one property that they live in themselves, whilst paying a mortgage. A smarter journo might not have mentioned that titbit of information.

Now that the pouty one has flocked off, I can say what I really think.
Yeah, my sentiments also TZ. The Manly club reminds me of the Bank in an old western movie, the bad guys come to town and the first thing they do is rob the bank, us, and we are supposed to feel some sort of empathy...give me a break.

Glad he's getting his mental state sorted and enjoying life with his 3 investment properties. All courtesy of the most inept nrl club administration ever.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11