The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I also thought Schu had a good first half. In the second things went sideways a bit, but he really wasn't getting any kind of support from Cooper Johns and I don't think either Schu's game or temperament can be realistically expected to carry an entire attack for 80 mins at this point of his career. I'm certainly inclined to give him a pass for today. He will keep getting better.

I also thought Schu had a good first half. In the second things went sideways a bit, but he really wasn't getting any kind of support from Cooper Johns and I don't think either Schu's game or temperament can be realistically expected to carry an entire attack for 80 mins at this point of his career. I'm certainly inclined to give him a pass for today. He will keep getting better.
Alot of good footy in front of kid, I liked his first half.
Like to see him hit runners sqaure if 2nd man is not there

it’s hard to be critical of his second half because without his input in the first, we wouldn’t even be in the game. That said, his banana chip and chase was an example of the audacious Hail Mary play that makes him a maligned figure. The percentage play was a chip to the edge much like the one that we scored off in the first half. Oh well.

I actually thought that chip to Garrick was crazy. We needed to consolidate that set and play five straight up the ruck and kick to the corner. Instead we gave it straight back to them and I think they scored.

That was a planned move with Garrick and was centimetres off being perfect and a try. That was the 23rd minute. After that Newcastle started with the ball inside their 30m line, so we were still in a good position of the field.

We certainly don't want to be blunting Schu's skills and flair.

Newcastle scored way later in the 30th minute after Koula dropped the ball behind his shoulders from a Johns pass.

Last edited:
Can't believe how many people tryna hate on him so quickly. He had a fantastic first half where he had the ball on the string and created many opportunties just by himself. Intercept leads to try, kick to Garrick nearly leads to try, kick to Parker leads to try. He had to carry us for points. In the second half he just had no help. Weekes was MIA and Cooper was a handbrake. When you got to create with two handbrakes in your spine it is very tough. Schuster is 22, playing 6 and he had to be the dominant playmaker in that game like he was Kieran Foran. That's not on him. We know what he can produce when he has good attacking foils next to him in Turbo and Chez. He had nothing to work with, Cooper and Weekes have to go. Add to the fact he held his own in defence, much improved, 13 tackles and only 1 miss. He is much more comfortable in defence with Samuela inside him, that's what we need going forward.

Had a few moments he would like over i would imagine, but overall he went pretty well. Certainly looks to have responded to his recent realignment

when Schu played first receiver we advanced well upfield. He also wrapped around both sides and played like a dominant half
in the first half the team really responded to his kicking game , rarely seen

He and froggy led the team and both enjoyed the challenge. I think both live in the shadows of turbo and dce

Even with just TOM we win that today.

Even with just TOM we win that today.
I think with either tom or dce we could have won that game. I thought Jurbo had some good touches in attack against the raiders and he was also out.

We were back to one guy running the attack again yesterday and that's a big ask for anyone. It didn't work when that one guy was DCE and he had Turbo on the field. I think both DCE and Schu did well as that one guy but we need more than one to really compete this year.

Next time we don't have DCE or Tom, I'd really like to see gckt on the bench to give us some more attacking options.

DCE TURBO JURBO out he did ok especially first half. He needs more games under his belt. He is only 22 and really first season playing 5/8. I am giving him time. Even Morgan Harper was given more chances before we started throwing rocks at him..
Well said and lets not forget we had 10 regular first graders out and I didnt think we would get that close. They only had frizell and brailey out, they had a much more settled side than us and we almost had the win. I wont comment on the try and that shouldnt have been given lol

Was a game of 2 halves.
Was great in the first, but buggered in the second. Just needs fitness.

Probably also didn't help he had to do all the thinking because that plodder Johns did fuk all.
When DCE is back and running the show, Shuster will (hopefully) be able to do his thing a bit more freely.

Last edited:
I have watched and now know what Schuster can bring but I will judge him after 2023 when he plays whatever number of games at 5/8 .A lot of the errors in his game are all due to been not match fit and trying out all the options he knows .As the season gets down to the race towards the finals ,he will learn on which plays work from the ones that don't .Just wondering how we would have gone yesterday with Tom , Jake and Evans playing compared to the 3 weeks before the Canberra game .
Looking forward to the Dolphins game which is the beginning of the second half of the season .
Let's go Maaaaanly .

Yeah, his second half was very forgettable - poor kicks, poor options. But he had zero runners most of the time. It's all part of the learning curve, I hope. He'll be disappointed and want to do better.
true. But the poor bastard was left high and dry, particulary in the second half. Next game when DCE and Tommy are out, Jakob Arthur has to start at 7. He showed enough in his limited time yesterday that Johns shall never, ever, play first grade again.
And Weekes needs to go back to reggies. Hes far from ready for first grade.
Tippy-toes to wing. Reuben to fullback. He was the only back that had a crack yesterday. (how does Gayguy get away with the shiit he does? He must fall under the same protected species act that includes Ponga).

I actually thought that chip to Garrick was crazy. We needed to consolidate that set and play five straight up the ruck and kick to the corner. Instead we gave it straight back to them and I think they scored.
I think he and Reubs had been watching too many Burton/Fox plays.
Shoe: I reckon I could put it on a dinner plate for you Reubs.
Reubs: Yes, definately.
Shoe: You have to say Bruh at the end of your sentence if this is going to work out.

If we start judging players on the basis of the garbage printed by the press then we are no better than the journos that write the stuff. Trying to justify comments with the saying "where there is smoke there must be a fire" loses sight of the fact that fire needs to be reliable. Considering the brains trust we have in the coaching ranks I'm shocked at the mistakes that are being made with selections. Schuster did well yesterday playing a lone hand because Johns brought nothing to the table and was a defensive liability. Koula had a game to forget with Brandon Best having a picnic. I'd like to see Best at Manly next year.

I think he and Reubs had been watching too many Burton/Fox plays.
Shoe: I reckon I could put it on a dinner plate for you Reubs.
Reubs: Yes, definately.
Shoe: You have to say Bruh at the end of your sentence if this is going to work out.

Another dumb SAF comment.

DCE and Saab have done the same kick chase moves several times for a couple of tries.

With some of the so called Manly supporters on Silvertails, Schu doesn't need enemies.

Prodigious talent but maybe more advisable for Shu to try and become the best player at Manly before any higher ambition . Mixed bag yesterday , saw aspects of the best and worst that his game consists of in recent times . Just too good a player not to succeed with his array of talent and skills but will have to be a step up on yesterday 's effort to elevate him to that higher status .

Was a game of 2 halves.
Was great in the first, but buggered in the second. Just needs fitness.

Probably also didn't help he had to do all the thinking because that plodder Johns did fuk all.
When DCE is back and running the show, Shuster will (hopefully) be able to do his thing a bit more freely.
It’s not so much fitness as it’s possession. Even the fittest side in the NRL would struggle with 41% of possession. We gave away too many penalties and gave up 7 tackles sets with average kicking, etc. not to mention the 6 agains and lucky ricochets for the Knights inside 20m; it meant our forwards were gassed.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4