The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Haha you don't need to have a genius football mind to tell someone is lazy. In fact it's pretty telling, when it's actually Spud that Schuster went to train with to help his fitness. Well u know what they say.. ignorance is bliss.

What is astounding is not that Spud may think him lazy ... but that he would say it publicly.

Spud likes to train and have the boys around his gym ... for him to risk his relationship with manly for a throw away comment is highly unusual.

What is astounding is not that Spud may think him lazy ... but that he would say it publicly.

Spud likes to train and have the boys around his gym ... for him to risk his relationship with manly for a throw away comment is highly unusual.
Most likely it was intended as a much-needed kick up the arse. The head coach can't say this publicly certainly. His captain alluded to it in so many words. Maybe Manly wanted Spud, an old-school hard nut to say what literally everyone else was thinking.

The NRL world in its entirety can see what a gem Schuster is - if only he realises that without consistent hard work, he will amount to nothing in the game. In a way, I'm glad the first few seasons in 1st grade haven't panned out like a fairytale for Josh. This is life. Welcome to the real world son. A champion will learn and grow from this experience. Is Schuster a champion? We will know within the next couple of seasons.

In the meantime, he has accepted he will not be playing 6. He has probably acknowledged that other clubs aren't lining up for his signature. A little humble pie never hurt anyone.

And I have a theory for why the Shooey always gets gassed.

His oversized tongue.

When he runs it is lolling and flopping around in his mouth like an out of control bean bag.

It only has to reduce his oxygen intake by 5% to have a significant impact.

It matters because there is a salary cap and if you pay overs for a player, it can impact on the club's ability to recruit and/or keep other players in key positions.

If (and I say if) he is on the reported 800k, then we'll need him to (a) play lock and (b) perform. Why? Because 800k needs to get you a match winner that touches the ball a lot, not an edge forward that might carry on occasions. If he parks himself on an edge, misses tackles, throws no look passes over the shoulders of teammates and misses large chunks of football through a lack of fitness, that 800k is gonna matter big time!
Obviously there is a salary cap. FMD you really think I don't know that?

It really does not matter what a player is on. Performance is what matters.
Imagine coaching a team and only picking the players who you perceived to be worth their salary.

He's delusional. A few weeks ago he said he believes he'll be the best player in the game. How about he starts with becoming a consistently half decent 1st grader.
Can you imagine Graham Eadie telling the press back in 1972/73, “I am going to be the greatest fullback in the game in a couple of years time. If not sooner!” Well of course he was. But he didn’t have to ‘trout’ about it.

Or Max Krilich, Alan Thompson and Geoff Toovey telling the world after about 40 FG games, “I am going to captain Manly one day!” No, like Eadie they were great footballers and self-effacing men. All three had probably achieved more (in the game) after about 40 FG games than Schuster has anyway

I wish someone in Jolsen Filischuster’s orbit would scream at him (telescoped): “STFUC!”

The manoeuvrings of his manager are plain to see and if he doesn’t become his own man he will forever be more Ted Goodwin than Graham Eadie. Or Olsen Filipaina rather than Alan Thompson or Cliff Lyons.

There are a certain % of the population that exude

visualise, become , talk the talk , walk the walk
there is a little anthony robbins style if he is in business or selling amway but in sport its not really accepted

not sure if thats his style but he is finding his way

there is a lot of competing noise around schuster , some good, a lot of not so
he needs a bubble of sorts , and needs to stay positive .
tough gig trying to playmake in a manly team if you listen to the DCE fans

seperate footy and the womans weekly stuff
footy stuff interesting , what the schu says after brekky……..meh
he is under the microscope now,
lots of footy stuff needs addressing

reece walsh grappling also. Its a new world baby

Not sure if anyone else posted or heard Joeys comments recently re the large Schuster contract - He believes DCE has told the club he will retire in two years and then brooks will take over at Halfback and Schuster may return to 5/8. $800k is overs for a second rower and gave examples of some origin players not receiving that much in the back row. This makes some sense on the salary cap front.

Would say that the supposed 800 k for the Shu 's services is based more on what we all know to be a playing level that he definitely does possesses and had periodically shown in the past Unfortunately for Manly of course , just not regular enough the past couple of seasons and apart from 2021 when his general form was of a fairly high standard
Will have every opportunity for the remainder of this season and if he can regularly take the field with an acceptable fitness level to show what he is capable of . Win , win all round if that occurs before he reverts to the back row next season .
Will be a bit ironic with all of the developments in recent days if he is able somehow to start performing really well at 6 again for the remainder of the season [ well of course hope so for Manly "s sake ]

Not sure the media and Tartak have done Schuster any favours here,but word around that his base contract is “only” worth around $650K but could go as high as the figures reported if he meets certain KPI’s.Admittedly,that extra still basically counts towards Manly’s salary cap given they must keep that sort of coin up their sleeve in case he does reach those marks,but it’s still unfair on Schuster to be reporting it like he’s one of the highest paid back rowers

It really does not matter what a player is on. Performance is what matters.
Imagine coaching a team and only picking the players who you perceived to be worth their salary.
Of course it matters what they’re on. If it didn’t, the NRL would be a communist community and every player would earn an even share on the generated income. If you pay overs for players, you assemble a squad that is out of shape and lacking the necessary elements to challenge for a premiership.

It’s all hypotheticals but Schu on 500k instead of 800k could be the difference between signing a decent 9 down the track or being stuck with Croker. I’m not suggesting that Manly have made a mistake and to be honest, I tend to think it’ll end up being a good move, I’m just of the opinion that it does matter what you pay a player. I also think the majority of coaches and NRL administrators feel the same, or they wouldn’t negotiate, they’d just pluck a random figure out of the sky because ‘it doesn’t matter’.

Of course it matters what they’re on. If it didn’t, the NRL would be a communist community and every player would earn an even share on the generated income. If you pay overs for players, you assemble a squad that is out of shape and lacking the necessary elements to challenge for a premiership.

It’s all hypotheticals but Schu on 500k instead of 800k could be the difference between signing a decent 9 down the track or being stuck with Croker. I’m not suggesting that Manly have made a mistake and to be honest, I tend to think it’ll end up being a good move, I’m just of the opinion that it does matter what you pay a player. I also think the majority of coaches and NRL administrators feel the same, or they wouldn’t negotiate, they’d just pluck a random figure out of the sky because ‘it doesn’t matter’.
Pay does not equal performance.

I know there is a salary cap. That has nothing to do with performance. It only has to do with balancing the books. And teams get it wrong a la Titans and Jarryd Hayne.

Would you rather employ expensive staff or staff that perform well?
There must be 17 on the field and if they play well and achieve why does it matter if they are the million dollar turbo or 200K Weekes.

I like Schu and am glad he has resigned. I don’t really care about what $ he is on - some guys will play above their value, some to and some below their value. It’s about trying to get a $12.2m squad playing above the combined value.

Of all my concerns about him, it’s that he doesn’t look happy within himself. He looks like a guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders, for whatever reason.

I may be wrong (he might just be a serious person), and I hope I am, because he is only young and should be enjoying his best years.

Pay does not equal performance.

I know there is a salary cap. That has nothing to do with performance. It only has to do with balancing the books. And teams get it wrong a la Titans and Jarryd Hayne.

Would you rather employ expensive staff or staff that perform well?
There must be 17 on the field and if they play well and achieve why does it matter if they are the million dollar turbo or 200K Weekes.
The answer is simple. It’s the reason why half backs get paid more than wingers. The best wingers in the NRL earn less than the average halves.

again a hypothetical but Schu could perform strongly but our overspend means we have no spare coin to put other quality players in key Positions to challenge for a competition. It’s a team sport so good performances from individuals doesn’t necessarily equate to overall success.

I’m not suggesting we’ve made a mistake. He could end up being a real game breaker and worth the 800k. I’m just suggesting that asking questions about his $ value is a valid discussion.

Last edited:
Not sure the media and Tartak have done Schuster any favours here,but word around that his base contract is “only” worth around $650K but could go as high as the figures reported if he meets certain KPI’s.Admittedly,that extra still basically counts towards Manly’s salary cap given they must keep that sort of coin up their sleeve in case he does reach those marks,but it’s still unfair on Schuster to be reporting it like he’s one of the highest paid back rowers
I’m curious if we can front load other players contracts at a late stage in the year if he doesn’t reach those kpis? Could set us up nicely

Man, unbelievable schuster saga!! Has played 30 mins. this season to justify his price tag. We are trying to win a premiership here, and captain of manly??? Someone needs sacking, lucky to make semis this year, Schuster needs to have a go or the sack !!!! What a joke.

So the media have been talking up Schuster’s re-signing for 2 days now,even to the point of announcing an inflated price,in my opinion.But where’s the club’s announcement?I wonder what could be holding them up from confirming his signature,considering the fanfare of the signings of the others earlier this week.
Seems it's always a shroud of mystery when it comes to actually knowing the true figures on what top earning players get. Does anybody know what DCE's final 2 seasons will cost us ?. On Club announcements, it's all over the shop, first it was Brooks on a 3yr deal.. ops..then it got changed to a 4yr deal then people were making up figures off the top of their heads, on what he'll get a season...now throw in Schuster into the mix...jeez...who knows..

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8