The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nice to see when he moved into the back row he continued to run backwards, so at least there's some consistency in his game.

God, the Panthers rushed him in defense mate, all night. He was getting hit as soon as he caught the ball. That's good coaching from Cleary. We needed to counter - but Siebold.

Jesus Schuster isn't the fastest right now, but he gave us a whole new attacking option tonight. I honestly don't want him to reel in the flamboyance. I think it was our drop in energy, and immobile middles. We need more uptempo players.

I hate that he's becoming everybody's whipping boy, and wish everyone would leave him the **** alone.
Yeah I’m prepared to see how he goes next year. This year and last have been horrid for the club on many levels. Mainly tho Tom being injured. Seriously imagine playing 6 with your outsides being Parker, Ray Ray/Tui and Kelma most of the year. If we had either Koula or Saab on Schus side that’s a try tonight off the intercept. Have really struggled to understand why we’ve stacked dces side of the field and left Schu with the dregs.

Yeah I’m prepared to see how he goes next year. This year and last have been horrid for the club on many levels. Mainly tho Tom being injured. Seriously imagine playing 6 with your outsides being Parker, Ray Ray/Tui and Kelma most of the year. If we had either Koula or Saab on Schus side that’s a try tonight off the intercept. Have really struggled to understand why we’ve stacked dces side of the field and left Schu with the dregs.
Winner, winner, farking chicken dinner mate - on every level right here. I wish I could make this post a sticky at the top of forum ! That's why next season, I hope we make him lock, so he can float both sides as he sees fit. Imagine this:

Left side: Tommy, Koula, Paulo
Right side: Tommy, Garrick, Saab

(Distributors - Olakau'atu & hopefully B Trbojevic)

Schu - complete and utter dud, is still not fit and a complete liability on D either at 6 or in back row

800k for this bloke is laughable , needs to be dropped for the last 3 games and given the boot for next year
Unfortunately have to agree with this, although harsh to call him an utter dud. What is more concerning is that he has not played consistently this year, been called out by the coach and DCE and yet we resign him on $600k - $800k per season. You need to tick all the boxes when paying this much and at the moment Schu appears to lack a) consistency; b) work ethic; and c) accountability. Does not auger well for next year IMO.

I'm so disappointed with his performances. I thought he'd be a once-in-a-generational player. I was completely wrong in agitating for him to play 5/8. I'm doubting his ability to be a First Grader in any position.
I don't blame the club for paying so much for him. At the time he looked to be worth it.

Yep not the smartest play but you could see that is how were coached to play last night - chance our arm at every opportunity

Re Shu it is a tough one as it has to play into the kids mindset when he has no settled position

So last night after coming home from the game annoyed at feeling like we'd thrown away that game, I wrote a post saying that I'd backed Shu all the way but after last night, I was done. Not coz I thought it was all on him but just that he simply hasn't shown any influence on a game (save for a fleeting pass and kick and chase). But having slept on it, I'm gunna back pedal a bit and and say that he gets one more chance for next year.

I'm no psychologist and so my expert diagnosis is that I just think his footy brain is fried. I still think there is a really good footy player in there somewhere. And I was a bit harsh last night suggesting we should throw him in the forwards next week to show that he had some ticker coz it's been driving me nuts that he seemingly refuses to take on the line. But if you think back to 21 when he was in the forwards, he was not only playing with some flare but he didn't mind taking those tough runs in the to pack. He was even showing some reasonable speed (I'm thinking of a few games where he was there backing up breaks).

So I think it's a combo of things (some already mentioned) that has gotten him to where he currently is (and it ain't good). When Foran was around, he didn't have the expectation of being the play maker. That pressure arrived when Foran was moved on. He seemed to take on that challenge in the off season with him dropping out of the Test squad and knuckling down to get fit. Then that all seemed to go to Sh*t when he did his calf. Then he came back too soon and it dragged on. The weight came back on and then the noise started building from the media and fans again. It also came from Chez and Seibold. Then there was the signing of Brooks and well, the whole Shuster at 5/8 was gone before the season was even done and dusted.

And now he just looks like a bloke with no confidence and without a clue what his role is in the team. The good teams have also targeted him by rushing him and shutting him down and he hasn't been able to adapt to that. And as a few have mentioned, having a forward pack that is dominated on a regular basis, hasn't helped that.

So we're now left with a bloke copping it from all and sundry, knowing he won't be playing in the position he was fated for, struggling with fitness and I just think he is mentally shot. I think the poor decision to kick that ball for Parker, the way that he was literally hitting himself in the head afterwards (for what seemed like a strange amount of time) and his inability to adapt in a game, is indicative of this.

So whilst I agree with Seibold and Chez that he needs to take control of his career, I think he needs more than that - someone like a Sports Psychologist maybe - to help get him back on track for next year. We all thought (rightfully so) that the last off season was his chance to do that but I'm willing to give him another go to get it right for next year. I really believe he can be a very good 13 IF he can get the fitness required and the headspace to play with some freedom again.

Over to you Josh and you as well Seibs.

Last edited:
God, the Panthers rushed him in defense mate, all night. He was getting hit as soon as he caught the ball. That's good coaching from Cleary. We needed to counter - but Siebold.
For 700k+ I'd expect him to be smart enough to deal with those kind of tactics, ball playing 5m behind the line wasn't effective solution. Kid lacks heart ❤️ no one doubts he has skill just balls and effort areas and defence are problems as soon as they start including meters run sideways or backwards in run meters the kid will be an instant stats star ⭐✨

So last night after coming home from the game annoyed at feeling like we'd thrown away that game, I wrote a post saying that I'd backed Shu all the way but after last night, I was done. Not coz I thought it was all on him but just that he simply hasn't shown any influence on a game (save for a fleeting pass and kick and chase). But having slept on it, I'm gunna back pedal a bit and and say that he gets one more chance for next year.

I'm no psychologist and so my expert diagnosis is that I just think his footy brain is fried. I still think there is a really good footy player in there somewhere. And I was a bit harsh last night suggesting we should throw him in the forwards next week to show that he had some ticker coz it's been driving me nuts that he seemingly refuses to take on the line. But if you think back to 21 when he was in the forwards, he was not only playing with some flare but he didn't mind taking those tough runs in the to pack. He was even showing some reasonable speed (I'm thinking of a few games where he was there backing up breaks).

So I think it's a combo of things (some already mentioned) that has gotten him to where he currently is (and it ain't good). When Foran was around, he didn't have the expectation of being the play maker. That pressure arrived when Foran was moved on. He seemed to take on that challenge in the off season with him dropping out of the Test squad and knuckling down to get fit. Then that all seem to go to Sh*t when he did his calf. Then he came back too soon and it dragged on. The weight came back on and then the noise started building from the media and fans again. It also came from Chez and Seibold. Then there was the signing of Brooks and well, the whole Shuster at 5/8 was gone before the season was even done and dusted.

And now he just looks like a bloke with no confidence and without a clue what his role is in the team. The good teams have also targeted him by rushing him and shutting him down and he hasn't been able to adapt to that. And as a few have mentioned, having a forward pack that is dominated on a regular basis, hasn't helped that.

So we're now left with a bloke copping it from all and sundry, knowing he won't be playing in the position he was fated for, struggling with fitness and I just think he is mentally shot. I think the poor decision to kick that ball for Parker, the way that he was literally hitting himself in the head afterwards (for what seemed like a strange amount of time) and his inability to adapt in a game, is indicative of this.

So whilst I agree with Seibold and Chez that he needs to take control of his career, I think he needs more than that - someone like a Sports Psychologist maybe - to help get him back on track for next year. We all thought (rightfully so) that the last off season was his chance to do that but I'm willing to give him another go to get it right for next year. I really believe he can be a very good 13 IF he can get the fitness required and the headspace to play with some freedom again.

Over to you Josh and you as well Seibs.

Great post. I’m was at the game too and feel that his confidence is at rock bottom. I feel for the bloke as he is trying but nothing is
Coming off. He could clearly be seen admonishing himself after that dumb kick and the knock on. It looks like he is trying to run more but he is not picking the rights times to have a go. Mentally he looks shot. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is sent back to Reggie’s this week to get his mojo back. I think Jake is worth a go at 6, it can’t hurt. The poor bloke is being smashed everywhere by the media, fans etc. I am seriously concerned about his mental health.

Great post. I’m was at the game too and feel that his confidence is at rock bottom. I feel for the bloke as he is trying but nothing is
Coming off. He could clearly be seen admonishing himself after that dumb kick and the knock on. It looks like he is trying to run more but he is not picking the rights times to have a go. Mentally he looks shot. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is sent back to Reggie’s this week to get his mojo back. I think Jake is worth a go at 6, it can’t hurt. The poor bloke is being smashed everywhere by the media, fans etc. I am seriously concerned about his mental health.
Yep, I'd be bringing Arthurs in. There is the risk that dropping him back could only make things worse for his confidence but that's where the coaching staff need to be on their game. Keeping him in 1st grade struggling for 3 games doesn't seem to make much sense.

The Shu will be O K , Has taken a pay cut to recommit to the club . Still has that undoubted skill and ability level to produce in future seasons with the right approach and application .
Whether it is alternating between 13 or edge or maybe occasionally reverting to 6 for whatever reason , still have a good sense that he will again be a genuine asset and strength to the side
Made a couple of vigorous efforts in front on tackles last night , will not lose his skill level , a bit more direct and determined running style should be a major priority for him though .
Not trying to be overly optimistic , just get the feeling again that he can come real good for Manly if he puts his head down and ups his intensity level for a whole match .

The Shu will be O K , Has taken a pay cut to recommit to the club . Still has that undoubted skill and ability level to produce in future seasons with the right approach and application .
Whether it is alternating between 13 or edge or maybe occasionally reverting to 6 for whatever reason , still have a good sense that he will again be a genuine asset and strength to the side
Made a couple of vigorous efforts in front on tackles last night , will not lose his skill level , a bit more direct and determined running style should be a major priority for him though .
Not trying to be overly optimistic , just get the feeling again that he can come real good for Manly if he puts his head down and ups his intensity level for a whole match .
I'm with you Al except that I think he needs to commit to playing one role in the forwards. Get him back to a decent fitness level and have him playing as a ball playing forward and he can be very good for us. I think having him playing closer to Jake will be good for him as far as effort level is concerned. Jake just won't let him get away with not doing the work.

Schuster is copping it deluxe from everywhere. he is trying too hard to get the monkey off his back . In saying that its at king kong status
I think you're right but he needs someone to help him clear his head coz he hasn't been able to do that so far by simply having people like K Fulton berate him on social media or Seibs publicly saying he needs to take ownership of his career or fans like us unload on him. I don't know who that person is but I'm bloody sure if they don't find that person, his career will be short.

I'm so disappointed with his performances. I thought he'd be a once-in-a-generational player. I was completely wrong in agitating for him to play 5/8. I'm doubting his ability to be a First Grader in any position.
I don't blame the club for paying so much for him. At the time he looked to be worth it.
True, ever since Schuster signed the new deal he's gone backwards, although it's worth noting his better games have come when Tommy was playing. We can only hope this is going to be the case again next year when Tom comes back. All the calls for him to be moved on is ridiculous, know ones going to buy him at the price tag he's on now, I'm afraid we did the deal, and we've got to take our medicine on this one.

All the ability in the world and we can not get the best out of the Shu
No one is exempt from Accountability not the Shu not the Sieb . No one

Yeah I’m at that point where I’m starting to be concerned for his mental health too.

I think he’s got a heap of pressure on him (both external & internal) & is trying too hard whilst lacking in confidence at the same time.

I’ve said before he strikes me as a sensitive type - seemingly introverted & deep thinking - so probably places a lot of pressure on himself & has hit the wall this season.

The poor bloke must be wondering what he has to do to make it work after having tried so many different things so far & none of them appearing to have come off.

I don’t think he’s lazy or unmotivated but unfortunately his body language & facial expressions can make it look that way.

A big talented junior that shredded his age group. Been in the big time more than long enough, a total waste of 850 of our salary cap. "There needs to be an enquiry".

I'm a Schuster fan, but his performances show he is not athletic enough to be a full time five eighth. His lack of speed ranks with the slowest forwards in the team and thus his proper position is in the forwards. This is where his ball playing can create the most damage. It appears he is totally down on confidence at present and that he is trying to overcome this by attempting low percentage plays. If he has a simpler role in the team and focuses on getting the basics right, all the good stuff will naturally follow.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8