The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If we win a GF with shoey in the team on mad Monday we fill brookie and get the world record for most shoeys at once.
I honestly think Tom / Jake are going to be the next Nathan Hindmarsh's. Players to have played for Australia and NSW but never to have won a GF. Their best chances are leaving us.

And honestly, I wouldn't be too fussed.

I honestly think Tom / Jake are going to be the next Nathan Hindmarsh's. Players to have played for Australia and NSW but never to have won a GF. Their best chances are leaving us.

And honestly, I wouldn't be too fussed.
More likely to never even play in one. This club is light years from competing for top 4. The next major injury to Turbo and it needs to be bye bye Tom.
Jake , great competitor and club man, but geez he throws up nothing in attack. Gives away too many penalties.
Schuster, well he's now just an anchor around our necks.

More likely to never even play in one. This club is light years from competing for top 4. The next major injury to Turbo and it needs to be bye bye Tom.
Jake , great competitor and club man, but geez he throws up nothing in attack. Gives away too many penalties.

And no other competitive club would "want" them, as such. Walsh, Edwards, Papi in the big clubs. Jake possibly could fit in somewhere but it'd have to be extra cut price. And Schuster, well yep he's our anchor, won't go anywhere while we're paying him massive overs.

And what happened to all that extra fitness work he was doing before the pre-season even started. So much anticipation and expectation going into this year only to sadly come up short again on what a first grader should look like.

Then you watch Tyson Gamble who is on probably 50% of Schu's salary and is all effort. That's how you balance a cap. Add Ponga prioritising the Knights > SOO and they are getting a lot of things right culture wise. Fair play to the Knights and if Hastings isn't out for the season then will go ok in the finals.

Schuster’s best ever performance in FG doesn’t even top what Daine Laurie did for the Tigers against the Warriors the other night and Laurie is going to be depth at the Panthers next year.

Schu’s profile is largely based on the waves he created as a junior.

Also how stupid of the Tigers to lose Laurie days before picking at 6, where he has been a revelation.

Then you watch Tyson Gamble who is on probably 50% of Schu's salary and is all effort. That's how you balance a cap. Add Ponga prioritising the Knights > SOO and they are getting a lot of things right culture wise. Fair play to the Knights and if Hastings isn't out for the season then will go ok in the finals.
Tyson Gamble was reported to be on $220k for the season, almost a quarter of the Shus salary. Let that sink in.

Then you watch Tyson Gamble who is on probably 50% of Schu's salary and is all effort.
On the other side of the field in that game, Matt Burton was giving off serious Schu vibes. Couple of lazy, disinterested missed tackles and offering sweet FA in attack. Burton was a standout at the Panthers and has played Origin, but he is struggling big time in a struggling team.

This is a real dilemma for Siebold and the rest of the coaching staff. Why can't they get Schuster fit? If he's not prepared to put the work in at training and during games then he should be going back to reserve grade and earning a recall into the top grade regardless of his salary. Their is an absence of steel in our squad and that's not going to change with a coach that is proud of what they have produced this year.

This is a real dilemma for Siebold and the rest of the coaching staff. Why can't they get Schuster fit? If he's not prepared to put the work in at training and during games then he should be going back to reserve grade and earning a recall into the top grade regardless of his salary. Their is an absence of steel in our squad and that's not going to change with a coach that is proud of what they have produced this year.
Agreed. But we also had the 'hard nut' Flannagan as an assistant coach. He's supposed to be a strict disciplinarian.
I'm not sure it is totally a fitness issue. The Shoe has a naturally bulky build, and always looked big in the juniors which was one of his advantages then. I think most of the problem is that he is overthinking things. People expect him to do something miraculous every time he touches the ball.
First grade has been a step too far, currently, and he is afraid of the negative consequences if he runs the ball.
If it's in his head then that can be fixed. If it's because he's not good enough for the NRL then we have a a very expensive problem.

Agreed. But we also had the 'hard nut' Flannagan as an assistant coach. He's supposed to be a strict disciplinarian.
I'm not sure it is totally a fitness issue. The Shoe has a naturally bulky build, and always looked big in the juniors which was one of his advantages then. I think most of the problem is that he is overthinking things. People expect him to do something miraculous every time he touches the ball.
First grade has been a step too far, currently, and he is afraid of the negative consequences if he runs the ball.
If it's in his head then that can be fixed. If it's because he's not good enough for the NRL then we have a a very expensive problem.
In the game the other night his jersey got pulled up as he was rising from a tackle to play the ball & I didn’t notice any “belly” on him so I think you’re right - he’s a naturally bulky person & I don’t think he will ever be a cut, muscle bound player.

Not everyone has the genetics to be lean & musclebound - look at the likes of Latrell, Wade Graham, Suli, Te Whare, Timoko, etc.

On the other side of the field in that game, Matt Burton was giving off serious Schu vibes. Couple of lazy, disinterested missed tackles and offering sweet FA in attack. Burton was a standout at the Panthers and has played Origin, but he is struggling big time in a struggling team.
I agree with you about Burton but funny, watching that Dogs game yesterday I was thinking exactly the same about Kikau. Neither of them has stoodout since leaving the Panthers.

As for Schu, I'm totally over him. Imo he's one of the main reasons our season hasn't panned out as it should have. He's been fortunate to be given ample opportunity at 5/8 to fulfill his dream (not everyone gets to fulfill theirs) but it still hasn't happened.

It's time to move on and I agree with others here that for the last few games he should be moved back to the forwards and Jake Arthur be given a go at 5/8.

I agree with you about Burton but funny, watching that Dogs game yesterday I was thinking exactly the same about Kikau. Neither of them has stoodout since leaving the Panthers.

As for Schu, I'm totally over him. Imo he's one of the main reasons our season hasn't panned out as it should have. He's been fortunate to be given ample opportunity at 5/8 to fulfill his dream (not everyone gets to fulfill theirs) but it still hasn't happened.

It's time to move on and I agree with others here that for the last few games he should be moved back to the forwards and Jake Arthur be given a go at 5/8.
I think if (when?) Manly loses to Warriors we'll see some new faces given a taste of NRL. Another loss will put paid to our gossamer-thin finals hopes.

Schuster has great skills but very disappointing this season. He had the chance to cement the 5/8 spot but hasn't shown he can get in the grind, just loves flashy plays. He's not in the U20 cup anymore, that crap doesn't cut it in first grade with a few exceptions, Benji being one of the few. Reminds me felati mateo tbh who sadly could never put the promise he had into being a constant top level first grade player.

Well, well, Michael Chammas just said on 100% Footy that Manly have had enough of Schu at 5/8 (haven't we all) and he's moving back to the backrow and they're not waiting till next year. He didn't say exactly when, nor who'd be at 6, but I got the impression it might happen this week.

Last edited:
In the game the other night his jersey got pulled up as he was rising from a tackle to play the ball & I didn’t notice any “belly” on him so I think you’re right - he’s a naturally bulky person & I don’t think he will ever be a cut, muscle bound player.

Not everyone has the genetics to be lean & musclebound - look at the likes of Latrell, Wade Graham, Suli, Te Whare, Timoko, etc.
Problem is he’s slow as ****. Every time he makes a break of some sort he’s getting mowed down.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8