The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly coach Anthony Seibold tells DEAN RITCHIE why the Sea Eagles can bounce back to be an NRL force in 2024.
The former Dally M Coach of the Year also addresses how he will unlock Josh Schuster’s full potential, why he’s a better coach than he was at South Sydney and who the fastest player at Manly is.

DEAN RITCHIE: What areas need improving for next season?

ANTHONY SEIBOLD:
For us, we feel as though we have a real opportunity to break a cluster. There is a cluster of teams – teams four, five through to team 14 last season – that were all pretty close. Two golden-point results were the difference between us being in the top eight and not. There is a real evenness about the competition. First of all, we needed to add some depth, which we feel we have, and we’re also looking at our competitive advantage so we’ve put a real emphasis on a couple of areas we feel are our weapons and strengths. We need a narrow focus on how we break the cluster. That’s our challenge.

RITCHIE: How will Josh Schuster play on an edge?

SEIBOLD:
The way I’d like him to play is to think of Glenn Stewart. He had that ability to ball play and that ability to take on the line. He was a big body. Wade Graham also comes to mind. He was very skilful who started as a six and graduated to an edge back row position. Those two guys are how we want to model ‘Schuey’s’ game but he is also very unique too. He’s got some skills that not many others have. We want him playing that ball-playing edge-backrower role – a Glenn Stewart or Wade Graham type of backrower.

Josh Schuster. Picture: NRL PHOTOS

Josh Schuster. Picture: NRL PHOTOS
Glenn ‘Gifty’ Stewart.

Glenn ‘Gifty’ Stewart.
RITCHIE: What will Luke Brooks bring to Manly?

SEIBOLD:
He will bring 200 games of experience. Everyone can see the weapons he brings, an outstanding running game and left-foot kicking game.

RITCHIE: How is Turbo (Tom Trbojevic), mate?

SEIBOLD:
Turbo is going really well. He is fully fit. It was a three-month return from that pec injury and three months was pretty much the start of pre-season training. He’s been in full training.

RITCHIE: There has been some chatter about Trbojevic moving to the centres.

SEIBOLD:
That hasn’t been looked at from our point of view. Tolu Koula, Reuben Garrick, Tommy Talau, Christian Tuipulotu, we’ve got some real depth in the centres. Tommy is our best option at fullback. We haven’t spoken about him (moving positions). He got injured in the centres playing for the Blues. How we use Reuben and Tolu, we need to think outside the square because they both have some real speed. There is an opportunity there for us.

Tom Trbojevic will start the season at fullback. Picture: Alfred Naupoto (Manly Media)

Tom Trbojevic will start the season at fullback. Picture: Alfred Naupoto (Manly Media)

Where will Manly finish on the 2024 NRL ladder?​

1-4
5-8
9-12
13-17
Cast your vote

RITCHIE: Does Daly Cherry-Evans ever age?

SEIBOLD:
Umm, no, he doesn’t. He and Jake Trbojevic will have a long break because of 2022, where they had club games, Origin, into the World Cup, then into 2023, more clubs, Origin and more Tests for Australia. They’ll both have an extended break.

RITCHIE: I realise you’ve coached Souths and Brisbane but is there pressure at Manly given the club has been so successful for so many years?

SEIBOLD:
I don’t feel as though it’s pressure. Probably the right words are high expectations. If you look at the coaches and players that have come before us, there’s been a lot of success since the decades in from the 1970s. That is one of the attractions of the club. We represent the northern beaches community. The boys want to play for each other and play for our club. But there are always things to do, it’s never ending.

Flourish logoA Flourish bar chart race
RITCHIE: How have you evolved as a coach?

SEIBOLD:
Experience. I’m a far better coach now than when I was when I started at Souths at the end of 2017. And I’m a much better coach now than when I was at England rugby.

RITCHIE: Recruit Nathan Brown is a former NSW player. He could prove a handy pick-up?

SEIBOLD:
Brown, Corey Waddell, Jake Arthur, Luke Brooks, they’ve all got ‘trainer of the week’ awards over the first six weeks. Browny will compete hard for a spot. If he continues to train and compete like he is at the moment, then he’ll be in our round one side. We also think he can bring a point of difference.

RITCHIE: Is Jason Saab the fastest player in rugby league?

SEIBOLD:
Not sure but he would be close. He’s rapid and is certainly the quickest we’ve got, along with Koula and Garrick. They all run above 10 metres a second. That’s elite in team sports.

Manly is armed with plenty of firepower out wide. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images

Manly is armed with plenty of firepower out wide. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images
RITCHIE: The Vegas journey. Give us your thoughts.

SEIBOLD:
It’s a great opportunity for us to go and make a memory. There is an opportunity to build connections by being away but we are going there for two competition points. The way to make a memory is by performing really well.

RITCHIE: What is your message to Manly fans going into the 2024 season?

SEIBOLD:
We are working really hard to break that cluster of teams. The northern beaches have shown they have great support for us – I think we had three ‘full houses’ last year. They will get behind us – we know how we need to play to represent them. That’s our plan, mate.

RITCHIE: There has been some chatter about Trbojevic moving to the centres.

SEIBOLD:
That hasn’t been looked at from our point of view. Tolu Koula, Reuben Garrick, Tommy Talau, Christian Tuipulotu, we’ve got some real depth in the centres. Tommy is our best option at fullback. We haven’t spoken about him (moving positions). He got injured in the centres playing for the Blues. How we use Reuben and Tolu, we need to think outside the square because they both have some real speed. There is an opportunity there for us.
Very interesting Parker isn't mentioned.

Simply a slip there or an indication he may be transitioning to an edge? 🤔

Pretty expensive bonus though
True. Same for Aloiai. They are the cards we have.

I'm saying I think seibs and co have got the structure better this year. If schu didn't fire last year, the team didn't fit together well. If he doesn't fire this year, the team could still work. If he does fire, he could add a lot on top of that. Less pressure on him. Less reliance on him. Still a good upside if he plays to his potential.

He doesn't really have a track record of staying fit when he misses a few weeks or has a niggle. Spot has opened up in the 17 for Rd 1 me thinks.

Time for Burbo to step up now that Shuster is going to have a injury cloud over him over him
Yep, here's hoping Burbo makes the most of this opportunity and if not, we're fortunate to have a few options to take the spot (Bullemor, Waddell, Lawton, etc.)

As for Schu, I'm really over him and his injuries/fitness/excuses. All the talk about him wanting to be the best NRL player blah blah blah yet he can't stay on the field for any length of time. Why his big contract was extended is beyond me.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8