The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For whatever reason, Schuster looks broken. Today I saw him play pretty much anonymous. I am not seeing the hunger and desire that warrants a first grade selection so far.

Ball is in his court, he has to stick to it and Manly have to persevere for now.

For whatever reason, Schuster looks broken. Today I saw him play pretty much anonymous. I am not seeing the hunger and desire that warrants a first grade selection so far.

Ball is in his court, he has to stick to it and Manly have to persevere for now.
I agree. It was p*ssing me off watching him do nothing. But I also felt embarrassed for him coz all I could think of was what his team mates must think when they're busting their bums taking the ball up and he's just hanging out near the wing.

For one fleeting moment in the last 5 minutes when they were a chance of drawing the game, he did a rush at the line and a short pass that almost put the runner through to score. But that was it. So the skill is clearly there but man, the lack of interest in the game was unbelievable. And I hate sounding like I'm putting sh*t on him coz I wanted him to be a legend for this club.

So I have to admit not getting here until the score was 12-6 so I don't know if Shu had anything to do with the 12 points. But I've been here at least 20 mins and Shu has made 1 actual tackle and has not touched the ball once. He has not gone looking for the ball at all. I just don't know what to say.
I pretty much got there at a similar time, made a point of watching Schu and fully agree with you. Saw him catch and just pass the ball once when they were close to scoring. Walked around with his head dropped, which I thought was not a good look. Bewildering that, instead of playing like he's trying to get back in the NRL, he looked disinterested and unfit.

I don't know him and my statement is based on little more than "the vibe".

He comes across as someone with a "don't you know who I am ?" attitude. That may be totally wrong. But it's just the impression I get.

At the moment, he'd be the 6th or 7th second rower picked.

Last edited:
He's still only 22 and has the potential to achieve a lot in rugby league, either at #6 or as a forward... But I get the feeling it might not happen at MWSE or for a few years. Unfortunately, the $600k+ on the salary cap that his manager fought so hard for makes this more of a problem than it otherwise would have been.

Thsts true. Maybe release is in order and we can use the money elsewhere. He's useless to us if he's not trying. He looks so unfit. Shame he seems like a nice kid.
A release won't be so easy, also don't be surprised if we manage to find a club to take him off our hands we would still have to pay the majority of his contract because at the moment he's still in reserve grade playing like a park footballer.
The only thing the club can do if they don't want him, is for Seibold to tell him that basically he has no future with Manly in first grade and then Schuster has to decide whether to stay and play in reserve grade for the next couple of years and collect his money or for him to seek a release and look elsewhere.
Club was dumb for re-signing him up so hastilly.

The Keith Titmuss tragedy and the eventual coronial inquest must have had a significant impact on his mental health. No one would want to watch their best friend dying at football training. The latter would have dredged it all up again. That was only a few months ago.

Forum members should ease up in their criticism.

I think we were all hoping he was going to have that breakout year we all know he is capable of. Thats clearly not going to happen in 2024. I agree with @Terry Zarsoff that his main problem right now is his mental health. His lack of physical fitness just being a reflection of where he is mentally. I hope he finds a way to overcome these issues. However, that might not happen this season.

Last edited:
The Keith Titmuss tragedy and the eventual coronial inquest must have had a significant impact on his mental health. No one would want to watch their best friend dying at football training. The latter would have dredged it all up again. That was only a few months ago.

I agree. Many seem to be oblivious to this factor. He needs time I really hope he comes through it.

Agree.

But I think plenty are taking that into account now with the Schu. Not all of course.

I’ve only seen him v Sts and he was hardly involved. Yesterday by the sounds even less so. It’s a long season but hopefully he can get it sorted soon. Because it would be great to see him back in 1sts.

Best comment about Schuster in ages.

I also think he's got it Wombat. His confidence seems way down. And I don't think he's a big head at all. Rather I suspect he's someone who relies on confidence. And he aint got it at present. The reserve grade stint may help, but the pressure to perform is perhaps causing him to second guess himself and not play on instinct, which is his talent. You kind of feel like you want to get hold of him and tell him to relax, do what comes naturally, ignore the negative comments, just get out there and enjoy yourself doing what you're good at.

A release won't be so easy, also don't be surprised if we manage to find a club to take him off our hands we would still have to pay the majority of his contract because at the moment he's still in reserve grade playing like a park footballer.
The only thing the club can do if they don't want him, is for Seibold to tell him that basically he has no future with Manly in first grade and then Schuster has to decide whether to stay and play in reserve grade for the next couple of years and collect his money or for him to seek a release and look elsewhere.
Club was dumb for re-signing him up so hastilly.
Think at that particular time Tigers and another club were snooping around so Siebs and the club jumped in with an offer, pretty sure it was 600k and not 800k. I remember it being reported that Siebs had a good conversation with Schu and his manager on an extended contract but on less $'s. Wish we could really find out what Schu's contract really is so we can end the continuous conjecture on this.

I'm not entirely sure that this is the right thing to do. And I expect a lot of disagreement.

But if Garrick is out, and Ben T to center, then I would think long and hard about putting Schuster on the bench.

Schuster doesn't deserve this on form to be clear.

But it may be the only thing that gets his confidence up, as the NSW Cup thing surely isn't.

A last roll of the dice if you will.

Think at that particular time Tigers and another club were snooping around so Siebs and the club jumped in with an offer, pretty sure it was 600k and not 800k. I remember it being reported that Siebs had a good conversation with Schu and his manager on an extended contract but on less $'s. Wish we could really find out what Schu's contract really is so we can end the continuous conjecture on this.
I think manly could put out a statement saying it's 600k and you'd still see 800k in articles and on TV. It makes a better story.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure that this is the right thing to do. And I expect a lot of disagreement.

But if Garrick is out, and Ben T to center, then I would think long and hard about putting Schuster on the bench.

Schuster doesn't deserve this on form to be clear.

But it may be the only thing that gets his confidence up, as the NSW Cup thing surely isn't.

A last roll of the dice if you will.
Actually, it's worth a shot. Burbo to centre if Garricks unavailable. Have him come off the bench 20min in. The travel away to NZ might do him a lot of good rather than being constantly under the lens here.

I want to see Josh play with a smile on his face. His body language is really negative at the moment when playing and he does not look like he is in a good place.

I agree with the earlier comments that the Keith Titmuss inquest after the tragedy of losing one of his best friends, has to take a toll on him.

He is only 22 and has so much ahead of him. He needs to knuckle down, get fit and show us the ability he has the form from 2021.

It really is about the club persevering with him as they invested so much.

I hope it works out for him and the club!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8