The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What are you talking about. Never let the truth get in the way of a story.

Samuela and Latu wanted to stay at Manly. Both were signed to end of 2024.
Seibold got rid of them and sold them to the Tigers.
If they wanted to stay they were well within their rights because as you say they had contracts. They were offered 500k each to go to the Tigers which was a huge upgrade for both. Seibs simply allowed them to leave.

So if the future 3 year contract is as they say, we only have to pay for this year (or part thereof) if he goes somewhere else in 2024.
The short answer is yes. But who knows if there is any legal contention involved. This situation could get messy for the club and could potentially be a distraction for the main playing group as well. Not a great reason to be all over the media at the moment.

The short answer is yes. But who knows if there is any legal contention involved. This situation could get messy for the club and could potentially be a distraction for the main playing group as well. Not a great reason to be all over the media at the moment.
I could be wrong but this group of players seem very “ tight “ and obviously things are going pretty well for them , so I somehow doubt this would be a distraction.

He'd have to have performance clauses built into his current contract because I remember Cherry and Seibs making vague insinuations that Josh needed to train harder last year.
Also, Mestrov seems like a pretty smart
operator to me and the warning signs were already there, I mean even us supporters were suss.

Are you sure about that? Keppie is getting paid the same or more at Souths than his extension at Manly?

Both Fainu brothers were signed with Manly thru 2024, but not $1 is being paid by Manly for them to be at Wests this year?

Think about it gents.

Yes i am sure on it - Fainu's were extended by the Tigers on 4-year contracts.

And Keppie we don't know what the situation was but Souths wanted him so can only assume Manly paid zero to little freight.
What are you talking about. Never let the truth get in the way of a story.

Samuela and Latu wanted to stay at Manly. Both were signed to end of 2024.
Seibold got rid of them and sold them to the Tigers.
Did they want to stay?

It was all about money and the Tigers were prepared to extend them at good money. Manly weren't, so they were released.

I don't get why a player being given a release could destabilise the playing group? It happens all the time. When Keppie was released to Souths, did we all think there would be a revolt? He went to school with all the Westfields boys too.
From what I have heard the whole playing group were over his attitude and work ethic. So I can’t imagine it destabilising the group at all. They look a very happy and tight bunch.

Just up on the SMH. Read the last paragraph. Reporting that Manly will have to subsidise Schu if he goes to another club.

Josh Schuster wasn’t on the plane that took his Manly teammates to New Zealand on Thursday after the club granted the out-of-favour playmaker two weeks of personal leave.

Schuster, who on Wednesday was given permission to negotiate with rivals despite being contracted until the end of 2027, was originally named at lock for Sea Eagles feeder club Blacktown’s clash with the Warriors in Auckland on Saturday.

Josh Schuster has been granted personal leave by the Manly Sea Eagles.
Josh Schuster has been granted personal leave by the Manly Sea Eagles. NRL PHOTOS

However, the enigmatic playmaker will be given a fortnight to attend to personal matters and digest that he doesn’t have a long-term future on the northern beaches.

The sabbatical will shield Schuster from the spotlight while his manager attempts to find a club where he can resurrect his career. It will be a challenge given that Schuster signed a three-year, $2.4 million contract extension last June, a deal which doesn’t even begin until 2025.

Any new deal will require subsidy from the Sea Eagles, given that Schuster remains contracted and rival clubs would baulk at paying his full fare.
From my understanding the only subsidy will be for this year and this year only.

It certainly appears that this is the end for the Shoe.

He’ll never pull on an Eagles jersey again & and its even doubtful he’ll pull another one on either ( although that’s up to him ).

I wonder how much of this years contract we’ll have to pay , it maybe zero ???
Reading between the lines, looks like he'll be payed to the end of this season and thats it.

Hard to know if there are other issues at play here. But it feels like the "instinct football" that he was given carte blanche to play, while being an NRL second-rower sized #6 in stacked junior teams that won by 30 points each week, where he could have played in a dinner jacket most games... might not have been the best preparation for the discipline and grind required to succeed when playing in the NRL against hardened professionals. But it happened with the endorsement of (and was enabled by) some of the most influential people at the club and in rugby league at the time. After two coaches and several years of trying to put the genie back in the bottle, here we are.

He has great ball playing ability and showed some outstanding contributions in several matches. But as was (unpopularly) called out here in early 2021, fitness aside he still has plenty of fundamentals to work on... as a ball runner he isn't that quick or elusive, and doesn't use his 105+ kg frame to take strong carries and bust through the defensive line. So, his size is really no benefit to him as a #6 and isn't being utilised as a second rower for whatever reason.

Again, at 22 he's young and he has plenty of time to sort himself out... Football issues aside he seems like a nice guy, so I hope he does.

Last edited:
I don't get why a player being given a release could destabilise the playing group? It happens all the time. When Keppie was released to Souths, did we all think there would be a revolt? He went to school with all the Westfields boys too.
I think he may be linked to Polynesian Christian group of players. They seem pretty tight. This is not a criticism or anything just an observation

From what I have heard the whole playing group were over his attitude and work ethic. So I can’t imagine it destabilising the group at all. They look a very happy and tight bunch.
If the Schu were an asset on a company's balance sheet, he would have been written down to zero a couple of months ago.

I imagine the playing group realised this was going to happen a while ago (him being released) and as you allude to, moved on a while ago as well.

It certainly appears that this is the end for the Shoe.

He’ll never pull on an Eagles jersey again & and its even doubtful he’ll pull another one on either ( although that’s up to him ).

I wonder how much of this years contract we’ll have to pay , it maybe zero ???
I thought that about Foran!

Just sayin

If the Schu were an asset on a company's balance sheet, he would have been written down to zero a couple of months ago.

I imagine the playing group realised this was going to happen a while ago (him being released) and as you allude to, moved on a while ago as well.
Remember that Foran also had a series of issues before he returned to manly!

If they wanted to stay they were well within their rights because as you say they had contracts. They were offered 500k each to go to the Tigers which was a huge upgrade for both. Seibs simply allowed them to leave.
Manly wasn't prepared to fork out 1m on a player who hasn't even played 1st grade yet and the other who's only played a handful of 1st grade games. Good enough reason for me.

Just look at the work ethics and effort that Nathan Brown , Corey Waddell , Tommy Taulau and Jaxxon Paulo have put in to make it to the 17 this year. If only we saw that commitment to training , fitness , attitude , team mates and club from Schu he would've been a superstar. Now just another could've been.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8