The NRL Finals Series - 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Let's start with a satirical take on the finals teams. Only time I'm glad not to see Manly in a Top 8 story. ;)

Not paywalled...

‘Horrendous’: Fans gearing for worst finals series in history​

by Dane Eldridge

Story link:
Some funny lines for sure. But sadly it's also quite true. Very uninspiring finals series coming up. Pity the Warriors lost Metcalf, they were my main hope of someone doing something interesting.

Some funny lines for sure. But sadly it's also quite true. Very uninspiring finals series coming up. Pity the Warriors lost Metcalf, they were my main hope of someone doing something interesting.
Agree SER8, a pretty uninspiring finals series. It would have been interesting to see a fully fit Manly side with some games under their belt running into these finals, might have given it a bit of a shake.

That being said, whilst any team can be beaten on the day, it's probably not the year to meet Penrith at the end. Looking at the final points differences for reference, Penrith 1st +333, Raiders 8th -137, Manly 12th +6, beating the Panthers would probably be a bridge too far.

Before the NRL started the finals in Sydney had a culture where fans of all Sydney clubs went to finals games to watch. They used to sell a finals ticket package to fans. Under the NRL whenever there are finals in Sydney region its now just about the home team or if lucky both teams that are playing. Then the media pile on starts, blaming Sharks and Manly for not being to fill 40K stadiums, especially against regional teams.

St George v Canberra :Sat 04-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:31,429
Brisbane v Manly :Sun 05-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:38,432
Brisbane v Canberra :Sat 11-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:33,893
St George v Canterbury :Sun 12-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:41,384
Brisbane v Canterbury :Sun 19-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:34,821
Grand Final - Brisbane v St George :Sun 26-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:42,329

Last edited:
It’s interesting. I think if we found away to stumble into the finals, and we had a fully fit Turbo, we would have had a real chance. The 8 just seems so unstable and uninspiring, though Pennies deserve favouratism.

Glad to see Marty Taupau didn’t get picked for the Broncos this week.

My tip is for Penrith and Melbourne to do their thing and have a replay of the 2020 grand final. It would be absolutely incredible for their legacy if Penrith were to face the Storm in the grand final and win to seal a 3peat. It would be a sizeable dent to that legacy though to be toppled by the Storm twice in a decider within 4 seasons

I'm hoping Melbourne continue its hoodoo over Brisbane and make it 15 wins in a row. That will do the heads in of all Bronco fans. Then I'll be barracking for the team who they play next, consigning them to straight-sets losers.
Whilst I'm no fan of Melbourne I wish Manly had that same special ingredient which makes them contenders every year.

Brisbane to break the hoodoo for mine, Broncs have to many game breakers and most of their forwards have been rested for this game as have Melb. The first 20min will be shear trench warfare and think the Broncs will come out the fresher from this. Game of the semi's.

The NRL Finals Series - 2023​

Is the most Devastating Manly forum thread​

We have failed to live up to our Legendary clubs Benchmark of Premiership Winning Greatness once again​

Unbearable to watch the series that leads to the team that lifts the end of year Trophy that belongs to Manly​

1694048619008.png

Last edited:
Bronc’s have the football to win, Storm will do there best to bash that out of them, it will be trench warfare and that‘s Melbourne’s best chance, game can go either way, Melbourne will be hoping the donkeys get in the trench, despite disliking both these sides, I’m looking forward to this game.

This game has the potential to give the riff a saloon passage, if it’s as physical as I expect and given the riff seem to have the softer side of the draw, very much looks like the triple crown is a good bet.

Bronc’s have the football to win, Storm will do there best to bash that out of them, it will be trench warfare and that‘s Melbourne’s best chance, game can go either way, Melbourne will be hoping the donkeys get in the trench, despite disliking both these sides, I’m looking forward to this game.

This game has the potential to give the riff a saloon passage, if it’s as physical as I expect and given the riff seem to have the softer side of the draw, very much looks like the triple crown is a good bet.
Big carrot is winning and having the week of tho, Reece Walsh, Farnham and Mam will cause a lot of damage and can see Haas causing all kinds of chaos on the edges. For Melb it's all on Munster to guide Melb through, can't wait see this one..

Before the NRL started the finals in Sydney had a culture where fans of all Sydney clubs went to finals games to watch. They used to sell a finals ticket package to fans. Under the NRL whenever there are finals in Sydney region its now just about the home team or if lucky both teams that are playing. Then the media pile on starts, blaming Sharks and Manly for not being to fill 40K stadiums, especially against regional teams.

St George v Canberra :Sat 04-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:31,429
Brisbane v Manly :Sun 05-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:38,432
Brisbane v Canberra :Sat 11-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:33,893
St George v Canterbury :Sun 12-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:41,384
Brisbane v Canterbury :Sun 19-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:34,821
Grand Final - Brisbane v St George :Sun 26-Sep-1993 S.F.S. Crowd:42,329

Yes and no in a way.

Looking at your 93 example none of the teams played out of the SFS so it was effectively a neutral venue for all Sydney based teams.
The Brisbane v Canberra game stands out - what were ticket sales like the week before when it could have quite easily been Manly v St George as opposed to two out of towners?

Also these days it seems there is more apathy to watching teams other than your own live, the days of buying a ticket and not knowing who will be playing are over pretty much in my opinion apart from the GF.
I have plenty of mates that just watch their own team or what's on Ch 9 and not really know or care about the rest.

The fact that so many teams play out of Allianz or Accor makes those two venues not as neutral as they should be yet this years Top 8 it's only the Roosters that would have any type of home ground advantage and they happen to playing another Sydney team.

This year there is really only two Sydney based clubs in the 8 ( don't count Penrith) and they are playing each other so there will be only one left after week 1.
How many neutral fans would go to watch them at a bigger venue if they could?
They wouldn't pull 30k.

Interesting that there may not be a game in Sydney until the Prelim, if at all if the Panthers lose.

Big carrot is winning and having the week of tho, Reece Walsh, Farnham and Mam will cause a lot of damage and can see Haas causing all kinds of chaos on the edges. For Melb it's all on Munster to guide Melb through, can't wait see this one..
No doubt, if I was Bellyache, it would be all about D and belting the game out of Walsh, Mamm and Co, only need to win by 1 and yes the week off is the aim no doubt, wish it was tonight.

No doubt, if I was Bellyache, it would be all about D and belting the game out of Walsh, Mamm and Co, only need to win by 1 and yes the week off is the aim no doubt, wish it was tonight.
Agree, It's been a slow ole week,Yeah, can't wait. The girls are on tonight tho.

Bris v Storm tonight, weather men predicting a Storm around kick off. Could be a bad Omen for the Broncs, but I think they'll overcome a 14yr hoodoo and put on a bit of a score on Melb.

Reece is an absolute egotistical d#%k. Happy to see the Storm get up and destroy donkey mentality

Seriously… there is an NRL final series starting tonight and nobody on the forums. Disappointing. And we wonder why we can’t get political and financial backing. Our fans are fickle.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8