The Old Dog still has it

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Desmond Hasler. Im sure 99% of people had some doubts at some point this season, I started heading down that path too tbh, had in the back of my mind that we were unfortunate to get a full strength Roosters and Panthers within the first 4 weeks, but now the signs are all there again that he has found the magic dust

The most telling point of this, is that we now have budget price players performing above themselves again, which was what helped set us apart during the glory years. I’m on record as saying Parker has the least natural talent of any Manly player ive seen, but he works so bloody hard I can’t help to admire him, after 3 rounds I never wanted to see he or Garrick again, he has turned them around now to the point that I can’t drop either of them to get a guy like Walker back in. They aren’t the only guys though, Lawton outstanding as an edge backrower, Harper excelling himself, Saab with some confidence in him. Persisted with Croker and has turned him into a decent NRL hooker

No depth, we are now at the point where we can’t get quality like Walker and Suli on the park to start a game, and we have the worst forward injury toll I’ve seen, but the guys keep producing even though 8 of them are out (Aloaia, Keppie, Sironen, Saddler, Boyle, Davey, Gosiewski, Schuster) and we aren’t getting dominated in the middle at all

Tactics wise, there was chat he was a dinosaur and couldn’t adapt, we have attack all over the park now and can strike from any position and I think the masterstroke in defence is getting Snake in to teach Tom how to organise it from the back

How far we will go, i don’t know. Fainu is a real wildcard, but you do get the feeling that good times are coming again in the near future

Dessie, I won’t doubt you again, keep doing what you do, rumours of your demise have been heavily exaggerated

I reckon Des has morphed and combined his favourite old school "physical approach " along with a higher tempo of the modern game, which is where we were off earlier- just off the pace of the game ...a very hard combination to incorporate, but when achieved - a very successful blueprint....the ONLY concern imo, is being able to maintain this combination with high energy, but if anyone can get the team up weekly to achieve this - it's Des @;)

Desmond Hasler. Im sure 99% of people had some doubts at some point this season, I started heading down that path too tbh, had in the back of my mind that we were unfortunate to get a full strength Roosters and Panthers within the first 4 weeks, but now the signs are all there again that he has found the magic dust

The most telling point of this, is that we now have budget price players performing above themselves again, which was what helped set us apart during the glory years. I’m on record as saying Parker has the least natural talent of any Manly player ive seen, but he works so bloody hard I can’t help to admire him, after 3 rounds I never wanted to see he or Garrick again, he has turned them around now to the point that I can’t drop either of them to get a guy like Walker back in. They aren’t the only guys though, Lawton outstanding as an edge backrower, Harper excelling himself, Saab with some confidence in him. Persisted with Croker and has turned him into a decent NRL hooker

No depth, we are now at the point where we can’t get quality like Walker and Suli on the park to start a game, and we have the worst forward injury toll I’ve seen, but the guys keep producing even though 8 of them are out (Aloaia, Keppie, Sironen, Saddler, Boyle, Davey, Gosiewski, Schuster) and we aren’t getting dominated in the middle at all

Tactics wise, there was chat he was a dinosaur and couldn’t adapt, we have attack all over the park now and can strike from any position and I think the masterstroke in defence is getting Snake in to teach Tom how to organise it from the back

How far we will go, i don’t know. Fainu is a real wildcard, but you do get the feeling that good times are coming again in the near future

Dessie, I won’t doubt you again, keep doing what you do, rumours of your demise have been heavily exaggerated
with the exception of post covid last year and the first 4 rounds. hasler has made it fun to watch manly again.
the feeling this team is giving off is a lot like 2011

We should be offering him another 5 years. He wanted it and we were so short sighted we didn’t give it to him. He is our next Bob Fulton. We should charge him with setting the club up for the next ten years and moving into a director of football role once he has had enough of coaching.

Early in the season i was critical of Des having 4 halves and 1 on the bench and the team not being able to put points on the board. I thought no replacement fullback, no dummy half this teams toast but look at them now.

I still think the return of turbo is what sparked the return of the 2019 team though.

Guys, the form, effort and recent results are great. But we've also come out of the clubs biggest ever slump (one win in sixteen games). Worst ever defensive effort (second worst in history). Let's all take a breathe enjoy the positive results, but not jump in too quick.

5 year contract extension? A little hasty.

As I think @Woodsie alluded to, we have a pretty top notch roster, but we've been (and still are) debilitated by injuries. Let's see us over half a season, full strength against some of the better teams like The Chooks, Storm, Panthers, Eels & maybe even Raiders.

Same with contract extensions and negotiations. Play them smart. Honestly, like Souths have done with Reynolds. Players, and player managers use small windows of success to over sell their players.

I'd be happier with bigger (but shorter) contracts. If Garrick for example wants 30 grand more in a season (so he just signs a one year deal) it's better for everyone. Keeps the player in form as well. Example: Why sign Tuipulotu for FOUR years? Sign Parker for two years, decent contract.

Sorry, I'm just spit balling.

If you go back to the pressers Des done after the first 4 games , you will see he had confidence in this team , never once bagged them...

Guys, the form, effort and recent results are great. But we've also come out of the clubs biggest ever slump (one win in sixteen games). Worst ever defensive effort (second worst in history). Let's all take a breathe enjoy the positive results, but not jump in too quick.

5 year contract extension? A little hasty.

As I think @Woodsie alluded to, we have a pretty top notch roster, but we've been (and still are) debilitated by injuries. Let's see us over half a season, full strength against some of the better teams like The Chooks, Storm, Panthers, Eels & maybe even Raiders.

Same with contract extensions and negotiations. Play them smart. Honestly, like Souths have done with Reynolds. Players, and player managers use small windows of success to over sell their players.

I'd be happier with bigger (but shorter) contracts. If Garrick for example wants 30 grand more in a season (so he just signs a one year deal) it's better for everyone. Keeps the player in form as well. Example: Why sign Tuipulotu for FOUR years? Sign Parker for two years, decent contract.

Sorry, I'm just spit balling.

Yes mate .. it's happy days again ... and surprisingly our injury toll, rather than root us ... has seen a bunch of young fearless and talented young blokes show us the way to redemption ... going to be an interesting season from here on ... on many levels ..

It is also interesting how quickly a narrative can change .. which has always been my point .. but I agree 100% that caution is needed with contracts ... with the exception of 4/5 players I would have them all on no more than 2 years ..

@Ryan .. Another thing to note with all the (well earned) praise and euphoria ... is a note of caution .. I know you are only as good as the opposition let you be ... but the Cowgirls were woeful Last night ..

Only completed 7 sets in the entire game .. (and still managed 3 tries)
Made 42 missed tackles
Made 13 errors
Gave away 7 penalties to 3 ..
And had only about 40% possession

Last edited:
Another thing to note in this magnificent victory without Tom and Schuster is - the amount of players we were missing.

The Cows we're pretty much at full strength. Kyle (head high) Feldt was missing.

@Ryan .. Another thing to note with all the (well earned) praise and euphoria ... is a note of caution .. I know you are only as good as the opposition let you be ... but the Cowgirls were woeful Last night ..

Only completed 7 sets in the entire game .. (and still managed 3 tries)
Made 42 missed tackles
Made 13 errors
Gave away 7 penalties to 3 ..
And had only about 40% possession
Yer I didn’t want to spoil the spirit of things either, but the cowgirls were just that, dreadful, helped make us look really good, not taking anything away from our effort.

Another thing to note in this magnificent victory without Tom and Schuster is - the amount of players we were missing.

The Cows we're pretty much at full strength. Kyle (head high) Feldt was missing.
Yep and those facts makes our win even better regardless of how the cows played, it’s been a tuff bridge to cross winning without Tom, but he wasn’t the only out.

Yer I didn’t want to spoil the spirit of things either, but the cowgirls were just that, dreadful, helped make us look really good, not taking anything away from our effort.

Agree, we are rightfully chuffed given our spare parts pack ... they did the job and it was a great win ... but not sure a pack with Burbo and Du Luis would enjoy the same result against stronger opposition .... but all that just makes things look even better when we get some troops back ..

Who we are playing or how we have played is slightly irrelevant to me in this situation, as it is over a sustained period that we are back to having the lesser lights performing above their value. Fifita destroyed a team the week before we played them, and he was completely shut down. Ferguson was being talked about for Origin, Garrick gave him a bath. Parra talked about as the best pack in the comp, the likes of Keppie and Sipley destroyed them. That’s the quality Des is bringing to the players

There was another situation that struck me too, that shows why he gets these guys performing. Saab was struggling, got pulled into the office for a stern chat, but the car ended with pumping his tyres up and giving him another shot, and he hasn’t looked back. Compare that situation to Flanagan who Barrett promised the world then shafted unceremoniously

Potentially we are bearing the fruits of that huge slump Ryan mentioned, these guys were struggling, but learnt what is required and what it’s all about

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8