the other winger with wolfy ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Eagle said:
Farrar is surely a nsw cup player, he isn't quick and wingers can finish....i dont think he is a .....also can't catch, he is a slow version of Barba without the try scoring ability...if he was smart he'd have started in england

Sounds like exactly what the silvertails experts had to say about Robbo this time last year, too slow, can't catch etc. We know how Robbo went ...

Farrar isn't that poor, but we do have guys that deserve to be ahead of him in the pecking order (as things currently stand).

If Farrar is ever going to break into the team as a long term first grader I think it'll be at center, he's quite good there.

Robbo was slow but he could always catch

Farrar is a baffling signing as we have 2 internationals playing centre and a future one waiting (Whare)

I love Farrar as a centre,i just don't see him as a winger/fullback, I'm not faulting his defense, I'm saying the bloke can't catch

Centre or 5/8 depth please, that is all

Wolfman will command one wing spot.

I see Farrar as a utility who can play Centre, Wing or Fullback. With the odd injury bound to happen next season I think it was a wise move bringing him back to Brookie.

Oldfield I think will get first shot at the other vacant wing spot. He needs to nail though because Whare will be chomping at the bit to displace him.

This Farrar arguement is simple - if everyone is fit he would be 4th selection as winger, 4th selection at centre, 2nd selection at fullback, but could come in handy if injuries occur. Fact is can run a great line but lacks penetration because of limited genuine speed & smallish stature, hands - unreliable at best. Can see him on the field in desperate times & best chance is at Wing/fullback - not tragic but definately a weakness if this occurs. My example - if he was playing against Manly, Tooves & the players would target him.

MK Eagle said:
This Farrar arguement is simple - if everyone is fit he would be 4th selection as winger, 4th selection at centre, 2nd selection at fullback, but could come in handy if injuries occur. Fact is can run a great line but lacks penetration because of limited genuine speed & smallish stature, hands - unreliable at best. Can see him on the field in desperate times & best chance is at Wing/fullback - not tragic but definately a weakness if this occurs. My example - if he was playing against Manly, Tooves & the players would target him.

I wouldn't have Farrar anywhere near fullback even in an ermegency. I'd try Olfield, Whare and even Wolfie before giving Farrar a shot.

the mauler said:
I wouldn't have Farrar anywhere near fullback even in an ermegency. I'd try Olfield, Whare and even Wolfie before giving Farrar a shot.

I don't mind Farrar as FB, and would even be o.k. with Oldfield. But Whare or Wolfie .... really.

I only saw him play FB once, but Blake Davey looked pretty solid playing there. The way he directed the defence from the back reminded me of how Brett barks out to the defence.

The Eagle said:

Farrar is a baffling signing as we have 2 internationals playing centre and a future one waiting (Whare)

I love Farrar as a centre,i just don't see him as a winger/fullback, I'm not faulting his defense, I'm saying the bloke can't catch

If you read the forums during his time playing fullback you would see many saying he couldn't catch either

The whole Farrar can't catch thing is so over stated it is funny

Kiwi Eagle said:
The Eagle said:

If you read the forums during his time playing fullback you would see many saying he couldn't catch either

^ That.

The bloke had some bad games when he first came down to Manly, he was relatively new to the position & made some gaffs, let it go. He isn't great under a bomb but there are few that are. I have as much faith in him as I do in Wolfman or Whare in that respect.

Kiwi Eagle said:
The Eagle said:

He improved his catching from full back in the second half of 2010, so much so that he received pundits from Gould and co for his solid consistency.

MK Eagle said:
My example - if he was playing against Manly, Tooves & the players would target him.

I'd say the same thing about Oldfield too. There were a number of times in 2011 when he was a liability in defence. He would definitely be one for other teams to target in 2012.

Fullback is a difficult position to play. Robbo took a long time to get into a groove playing there when Stewart was injured. He never appeared safe at the back with his hands. His debut for Scotland was not good. This was in stark contrast to how he played on the wing where he felt very comfortable. 2011 would have been one of his most consistent seasons. Farrar also initially had horrible hands catching high balls at fullback and getting into the right position but after a lot of hard work, things (hands particularly) improved immensely.

It will be a difficult decision for Toovey to decide on who will replace Hoppa and Robbo. One of Manlys strengths in 2011 was their ability to make big meters with the wingers which allowed the forwards that extra time to rest. The wingers that are brought in must take on this responsibility. They will also need to gain understanding and trust with their centre pairing so that they work well together on their side of the field in both attack and defence so instinctively knowing where each other will be positioned, blocking when high kicks are put up, etc, etc. The centre and winger need to compliment each other.

Why is he automatically 4th choice as winger ?

Whare has played 1 match on the wing, and Oldfiled around a dozen. Farrar was exclusively a winger at the Cowboys

Wolf is clearly the number 1, the other 3 all have their good points and bad points and there is bugger all between them

MK Eagle said:

Kiwi Eagle said:
Why is he automatically 4th choice as winger ?

Whare has played 1 match on the wing, and Oldfiled around a dozen. Farrar was exclusively a winger at the Cowboys

Wolf is clearly the number 1, the other 3 all have their good points and bad points and there is bugger all between them

MK Eagle said:

He played games in the halves and a few in the centres as well for the Cowboys.

Oldfield is my no 2, but only if he's played outside Lyon.

I think Oldfield will get first bite at the cherry - however I think he aint as good as a lot make out. He was a liability on several occassions last year.
Ben Farrar hopefullty will prove doubters wrong. Must remember in 2010 he was decent at fullback and never played no 1 before.
Robbo was never great at no 1 yet brilliant winger??

the mauler said:
Oldfield to get 1st crack Whare next in line, Farrar final option
lol I'm almost certain that Farrar will be the No.1 choice, not No.3 as you have him.
Sure, he's no game breaker but he has a pretty solid all round game, coupled with some decent experience. As bold as this sounds, we most likely would not have made the top 8 in 09 or 2010 without B Farrar in the squad.
I also don't concur that he's as slow as some here will have us believe.
Sure Oldfield beats him over the 100 in a sprint but Farrar would at least position himself to have a crack.
I can't see Toovey punting him to the reggies.
Happy to be proven wrong.

Rodo said:
MK Eagle said:
My example - if he was playing against Manly, Tooves & the players would target him.

I'd say the same thing about Oldfield too. in 2011 when he was a liability in defence. He would definitely be one for other teams to target in 2012.
Difference is Oldfield is an up & coming rookie who after 1/2 season in regular 1st grade has potential Farrar simply does not have. Oldfield is bigger, stronger, way faster & reasonable under the high ball. I do agree his positional play - especially in defence needs grooming & this comes with match experience. Fact is Hopoate will be harder to replace than people think - not just based on tries & flick passes & reliability in defence & under the high ball but most significantly getting us on the front foot with massive charges & quick play the balls - Oldfield is closer to this mould imo. This is not a Farrar bash fest , happy to have a utility player at the club but if Oldfield sat behind him in NSW Cup & is signed by another club he will come back to haunt Manly in the future - Farrar wont.

the mauler said:
As noted on here previously, Farrar was traded by Cowboys for Bani. Enough said.

Ballin wasn't wanted at all by Brisbane, didn't rate him. He must be really ordinary in your eyes as well ...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6