The Player / Manager Conundrum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hey guys just some ideas...
Just my opinion, one problem to be solved is the conflict of interest where a player Manager (or their Agency) can hold both staff and players contracts, especially when these staff are making decisions on player aquisitions/contracts . I was thinking why not have a seperate agency with no relationships to player managers/agencies and be responsible for all staff placements only - no players .
Secondly the issue of being held to ransom by player managers by owning too many players at an individual club, I know theyre not going to like this , but why cant we intoduce a salary cap to player managers . They surely cant complain the clubs follow those rules now (dont they?)

I know you all might say its restriction of trade - but I dont care...

The final solution may not be so harsh as mine, but surely the NRL needs to step in and do something to stop this crap.

easy, revoke meberships, stop attending games, only buy membership to the leagues club , stop buying merchandise, very very easy
If you think about the financials of the club I am not sure this would make a material difference.

I would be interested to find a sport where fan action has resulted in meaningful change in the past 5 years (in the top division not lower leagues). Look at the EPL where Manu have been driven into the ground by their owners causing all manner of boycotts etc..for nothing

The move RL "evolves" into the US-style way professional sport operates the less I'm enjoying it.
It won't be long before we'll have to subscribe to the Financial Review to keep abreast of the trades and dealings between players and their cabal of financial advisors.

Can someone spell out what the problem is here exactly? eg Manly signed Copper Johns, big deal, he was on peanuts and didn't work out and won't be here next year.

Are people suggesting we will only sign Moses clients from now on? Paulo is not Moses nor are some of our high profile players who have recently re-signed.

In fact Moses doesn't manage any of our top players. Seibold has a contract at Manly, so why would he jeopardsise his coaching future by signing players he doesn't want?

I'm sure someone can explain the big fears to me, thanks in advance.

The issue is we had two of the biggest teen stars in the Fainu brothers who had a contract till the end of 2024.
These guys would have helped set Manly up for the next ten years. It would have taken a couple of years of good coaching to bring these talented brothers to their potential.

Instead, Spoonbold is panicking and looking at the very short term as he seems to be trying to protect his job, not Manly’s football future.

Selling off the Fainu brothers didn't have to happen and I am struggling to have any confidence in Spoonbold, Mestrov and Penn.

How confident are you in Seibold making the right recruitment decisions?

How confident are you in Seibold making the right recruitment decisions?
Ask me in 12 months, it's too early for me to make any sensible judgment. Might be genius, might be a flop. For Manly's sake I hope he's a genius :)

Ask me in 12 months, it's too early for me to make any sensible judgment. Might be genius, might be a flop. For Manly's sake I hope he's a genius :)

There was nothing worse than watching Api win premierships with Penrith while our choice sat in jail.

I will be pissed big time if the two Fainu brothers are ripping it up in first grade in 18 months.
Then again, perhaps that is what they need - someone to coach them.

If you think about the financials of the club I am not sure this would make a material difference.

I would be interested to find a sport where fan action has resulted in meaningful change in the past 5 years (in the top division not lower leagues). Look at the EPL where Manu have been driven into the ground by their owners causing all manner of boycotts etc..for nothing

didn't some aust soccer fans carry on because the league didn't want them to be hooligans so they boycotted games and...etc, I dunno.

The green bay packers are 'community owned' as well. But I don't know if the fans have voted for meaningful change.

BUT - I agree with you that not buying a membership isn't going to achieve much, I was just trying to lob a couple of examples your way, not as counter points, just as 'fyi'.

didn't some aust soccer fans carry on because the league didn't want them to be hooligans so they boycotted games and...etc, I dunno.

The green bay packers are 'community owned' as well. But I don't know if the fans have voted for meaningful change.

BUT - I agree with you that not buying a membership isn't going to achieve much, I was just trying to lob a couple of examples your way, not as counter points, just as 'fyi'.
They boycotted as the grand final was in Sydney rather than moving each year….and nothing changed

easy, revoke meberships, stop attending games, only buy membership to the leagues club , stop buying merchandise, very very easy
That might work with rabid Silvertailers , but I literally know hundreds and hundreds that whilst disappointed , will still front up year after year , buy their reserved seats , proudly wear their members caps and dream of the next premiership.

I bet , despite this years results that membership next year is either the same , or slightly higher.

That might work with rabid Silvertailers , but I literally know hundreds and hundreds that whilst disappointed , will still front up year after year , buy their reserved seats , proudly wear their members caps and dream of the next premiership.

I bet , despite this years results that membership next year is either the same , or slightly higher.
Ive been a paying member for just over 20 years , even the last 5 where I moved way out west and lucky to catch 2 games live a year due to work , i was still buying my membership.. no more. As painful as it was i decided not to renew this year and i will keep going until Penns leave, Penns taking us for fools .. ill be man enough to admit i was wrong if proved otherwise.. I might not make a difference, doesnt mean i dont supprot the team, ive been following the sea eagles for 45 years however , the management and ownership since toovey was axed has been nothing short of discraceful and embarrassing, its is not the Manly fabric i grew up and supported, this is just as bad as the Northern Eagles days if not worse..

Ive been a paying member for just over 20 years , even the last 5 where I moved way out west and lucky to catch 2 games live a year due to work , i was still buying my membership.. no more. As painful as it was i decided not to renew this year and i will keep going until Penns leave, Penns taking us for fools .. ill be man enough to admit i was wrong if proved otherwise.. I might not make a difference, doesnt mean i dont supprot the team, ive been following the sea eagles for 45 years however , the management and ownership since toovey was axed has been nothing short of discraceful and embarrassing, its is not the Manly fabric i grew up and supported, this is just as bad as the Northern Eagles days if not worse..
100% fair enough , but all I’m saying is that it’ll only be a few who do this , most will just rejoin ad live in hope.

You only have to look at the annual membership numbers to know that these ups and downs have little affect.

But , absolutely, I get your protest , and that’s a personal choice and if you are happy about it , all good !!

The club react‘s , More likely a knee jerk reaction, Believing they are being transparent,In which people want clubs to be transparent, Damned if they do and damned if they don’t
It would be interesting to see what other club’s players have in relation to how many manager to player ratio there is
If Seibold has a good relationship with this manager why not trust him and use him to get the players he wants and I’m sure the final decision is not just Seibold‘s .

The club react‘s , More likely a knee jerk reaction, Believing they are being transparent,In which people want clubs to be transparent, Damned if they do and damned if they don’t
It would be interesting to see what other club’s players have in relation to how many manager to player ratio there is
If Seibold has a good relationship with this manager why not trust him and use him to get the players he wants and I’m sure the final decision is not just Seibold‘s .

It's not. It's Mestrov who chairs the recruitment and retention committee.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8