The Queen's Death

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes, you have the job with that CV, LOTF. I'll have a quick chat with Albo on Monday and see if he can whip up a throne for you. You're not fussy like Barrett are you about the quality of the furnishings. We're a little short of cash now that we're committed to buy a couple of Nuke subs. Now about the crown. We're got design experts working on the Acubra hat style, maybe with opals and a spiffy lyrebird tail feather array. And we are looking carefully regarding the proper thong colour, though maroon and white seem the favourites. We'll have the opening ceremony at the Manly Hotel early next year. Would that suit?
Surely the opals are going to be dangling down instead of corks, the whole world would recognise it immediately as Aussie

Bearfax,

Yes, that would suit; now we just need to work out a few details.

As I’m to be the Monarch, I’ll expect that I’ll be working Gentleman’s hours,1030 start(well 1000 at a pinch), lunch at 1200 until 1430, a few light duties, afternoon smoko at 1630-1730, then pre-dinner drinks/ cocktails 1730-1930, dinner 1930 until I’m stuffed, then bed.

7 day working fortnight with every weekend off, no public holiday work and of course, 26 weeks annual leave.

Also, I don’t want to open any bloody buildings, monuments(except if they’re dedicated to me) and definitely, no fetes, arts/crafts shows or bloody boring stuff.

Now, of course, I’ll expect a Royal box at all the important sporting events, GF, SoO, etc., and I’ll decree that our Seaeagles are Premiers every year from my coronation.

UK eagle, great idea; say would you be interested in being Our representative at the Court of St James? Free return airfares or RAAF flights(I’ll even throw in a few jollies in our new fighters if that appeals) back to Oz each year and we can probably offer a few seats in the Royal box at the GF each year, where we thrash the slime, drizzle, donkeys and the others on a rotating basis.

Sound, fair enough?

Bearfax,

As I’m to be the Monarch, I’ll expect that I’ll be working Gentleman’s hours,1030 start(well 1000 at a pinch), lunch at 1200 until 1430, a few light duties, afternoon smoko at 1630-1730, then pre-dinner drinks/ cocktails 1730-1930, dinner 1930 until I’m stuffed, then bed.

7 day working fortnight with every weekend off, no public holiday work and of course, 26 weeks annual leave.

Also, I don’t want to open any bloody buildings, monuments(except if they’re dedicated to me) and definitely, no fetes, arts/crafts shows or bloody boring stuff.

Now, of course, I’ll expect a Royal box at all the important sporting events, GF, SoO, etc., and I’ll decree that our Seaeagles are Premiers every year from my coronation.

UK eagle, great idea; say would you be interested in being Our representative at the Court of St James? Free return airfares or RAAF flights(I’ll even throw in a few jollies in our new fighters if that appeals) back to Oz each year and we can probably offer a few seats in the Royal box at the GF each year, where we thrash the slime, drizzle, donkeys and the others on a rotating basis.

Sound, fair enough?
Sounds good to me, looks like it's all sorted, there can't be much more to it can there?

Bearfax,

Sound, fair enough?

Phew. Thank goodness. I thought you were going to ask for the impossible. Glad you're being realistic about this. The last applicant wanted his own Esky and Ugg boots. I mean really. So not there and over the top.

Not a question of like or dislike for many I know who want a republic. Effectively we are self governing any way, though the GG is required to seek the Monarch's OK in certain emergency situations, even if only ceremonial.

Like most people, I admired Elizabeth and think she did an excellent job. I think most respected her. I think Charles will have a battle but his heart seems in it and I think basically he's a good person. William I suspect would make an ideal King when his time comes.

Its not about the people, its about the role of technically Australia being beholden to another country's monarch, even though the influence is minimal. Its about Australia being seen as a fully independent nation making its own decisions. Doesnt mean we forget our heritage. Just means we've grown up and left the nest.

Of course in reality we are heavily influenced, though mainly by the U.S. But its about symbolism, perception of others outside and our own awareness that we are no longer seen as an English colony and anglo-centric. When Penny Wong was made Foreign Minister I cheered, not just because she's damned smart and of Chinese heritage, but because it symbolically said we are growing up and are a totally separate increasingly multi-cultural nation. I wouldnt even, as I said, oppose a symbolic Monarchy here, but only if it is purely Australian.
Can’t disagree with most of that , but think it’s time ( well approaching the time ) that we started the conversation again.

It just sticks in my gut that we make all our decisions , decide our own destiny BUT we are still beholden to a monarchy based 14,000 kms away who live the life of Riley on the public purse and more so when they “ grace us “ occasionally with their presence.

Will always be a very large part of our history , but it’s time to become Australia Inc, or whatever !!

Can’t disagree with most of that , but think it’s time ( well approaching the time ) that we started the conversation again.

It just sticks in my gut that we make all our decisions , decide our own destiny BUT we are still beholden to a monarchy based 14,000 kms away who live the life of Riley on the public purse and more so when they “ grace us “ occasionally with their presence.

Will always be a very large part of our history , but it’s time to become Australia Inc, or whatever !!

So you're not into "God save our gracious King...' gracious? We'll have to alter that one for starters. So much to do. So little time.

Last edited:
So your not into "God save our gracious King...' gracious? We'll have to alter that one for starters. So much to do. So little time.
Honestly , I hate the prick !!!

Him and the horse !!

Attachments

• 5AD8D93B-6C5F-4604-A455-C63C89CC43A7.jpeg
    5AD8D93B-6C5F-4604-A455-C63C89CC43A7.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2
The horse should have been a cow

But seriously what do hate about Charlie ?
Self entitled prick who sired two ( well maybe one ) progeny and then pushed the mother off to chase the Horse.

Diana was treated no better than a brood mare.

Respected the Queen

Charlie can suck on a dick for all I care.

Beatle Paul wrote a song about her Majesty in the late 60s

It was a short and sweet song and I used to sing it all day long

Her Majesty is a pretty nice girl
But she doesn't have a lot to say
But she changes from day to day
I wanna tell her that I love her a lot
But I gotta get a belly full of wine
Someday I'm gonna make her mine, oh yeah
Someday I'm gonna make her mine

So I take it Charles is not your first pick as King of Australia, and who's this Dick character you want him to suck up to?
You've been in fine form today mate...
Funny barsted 🤣
You've been in that good a mood I swear you must have got lucky
👏

Could even be worth looking at the Canadian constitutional model , , although they are classed as a Dominion , Still with most of the commonwealth direct and indirect connections applying apparently . Pretty sure that they have had this arrangement and detachment from the British crown for decades . Maybe Professor Global Eagle can offer some better insights into their setup

Could even be worth looking at the Canadian constitutional model , , although they are classed as a Dominion , Still with most of the commonwealth direct and indirect connections applying apparently . Pretty sure that they have had this arrangement and detachment from the British crown for decades . Maybe Professor Global Eagle can offer some better insights into their setup
Interested to hear any models that people would accept that take the “ Royal” out of Australia.

Very important though to remain in the commonwealth and keep the existing parliamentary model.

From the Shovel (a related ‘article’):

Mourners dismayed to discover 15-mile queue actually for Qantas check-in at Heathrow

Tens of thousands of mourners who thought they were lined up to see the Queen’s coffin at Westminster Hall have been told it’s actually just the check-in queue for Qantas at London Heathrow.

The queue, which stretches from Heathrow Terminal 3, across the west London suburbs of Chiswick, Hammersmith and Chelsea, all the way back to the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace, is a normal part of the Qantas check-in procedure, officials said.

One couple, who had been waiting for over 14 hours to see the Queen lying in state, said they were devastated when they got to the front of the queue and were asked for their boarding pass. “We were hoping to pay our respects to Her Majesty, but instead we were given seating options for QF2 to Singapore,” Doris and Ronald Springer from Reading said. “What’s worse, we were told minutes later the flight had been cancelled”.

A second queue alongside the original queue, which initially confused those waiting, was confirmed to be for Qantas baggage retrieval.

And again:

We analysed Meghan and Kate’s body language and … then stopped because it is totally weird and unimportant
meghan-and-kate-queen-1-620x356.jpg

A frame-by-frame analysis of Princesses Meghan and Kate at a procession through Westminster Hall this week showed that we had way too much time on our hands.

Meghan can be seen moving her legs one in front of the other, which seems to suggest that she is readying to kick Kate in the shins, or possibly that she is walking. But we may never know because we totally lost interest in the whole thing.

“If you zoom in closely at the images and look at the way Kate’s palms face downwards when Meghan is looking at her, but upwards when she’s not, then you’re really overthinking this,” a spokesperson said.

“In particular, analysing the way she smiles in one frame, and then frowns in another, really shows – quite clearly actually – that you’ve totally lost perspective”.

Interested to hear any models that people would accept that take the “ Royal” out of Australia.

Very important though to remain in the commonwealth and keep the existing parliamentary model.
The minimalist one that Turnbull and co. proposed c.late nineties I think is still the best. Two thirds of both Houses choosing a suitable candidate from a pool of eminent Australians.

One of the crazy counter arguments is that those opposed to this model and who prefer a direct election model, apparently still favour the status quo: a governor-general being appointed by one person, the PM (with some advice here and there). Which the reigning monarch signs off on.

If you look at countries with something resembling the minimalist model, i.e. Germany, Israel, India, Singapore - the real power and influence still resides with the PM/Chancellor, rather than the President, even if the latter is popularly elected (which may be the case).

The minimalist one that Turnbull and co. proposed c.late nineties I think is still the best. Two thirds of both Houses choosing a suitable candidate from a pool of eminent Australians.

One of the crazy counter arguments is that those opposed to this model and who prefer a direct election model, apparently still favour the status quo: a governor-general being appointed by one person, the PM (with some advice here and there). Which the reigning monarch signs off on.

If you look at countries with something resembling the minimalist model, i.e. Germany, Israel, India, Singapore - the real power and influence still resides with the PM/Chancellor, rather than the President, even if the latter is popularly elected (which may be the case).
No problem with the 2/3 idea , but for me as long as “ the Gov” is just ceremonial there’ll not be too many issues.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4