The question we will never get answered

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
These older players need to take a good hard look at themselves - and then an even harder look at a true Manly legend in Steve Menzies.

When Beaver finished with the club in 2008, he didn't want to go. But he left, so that the club could keep some rising stars, with the names of Watmough and Stewart. And now their time has come to do the same as Beaver, but all they want is money, and have no real love or passion for the club, not like Beaver, and weren't willing to sacrifice.

So for me, it's thanks Choc, bye, enjoy your money. I'll stay loyal to those that kept loyal like Beaver and Toovey. True legends.

jbb/james said:
The retention of glen stewart

Was glen not offered a contract based on his injury/ age/ abilitiy or
Was glen not offered a contract based on his clan brett and barry being in with zorba and the penns.

Remember it was the qantum side of the board that appaently blocked his signing

The reaction from the players inside may just prove that glens departure was about politics rather than the future and tha is bad

What do yo think now the dust is settling

From what I've heard, nothing was tabled to Glenn. Not even the magical back-ended contract. That was the problem. Glenn was willing to stay for much less. He was dropping hints about accepting a lesser offer last year and beginning of this year. ...and DCE wasn't willing to back-end like the rest of the core-group, leading to the tension?

Glenn waited for months for the board and the ex-CEO. The Penns wanted Glenn, the others did not. His buddies said Glenn was depressed and realized those wielding the control doesn't want him anymore, so he knew he had to go.

I know many are justifying it saying he's old and a has been, ..whatever.
If that was the case, why would the premiers, Souths and Maguire interested in paying him the $$$ to get him over if he's no good?

Tooves actually wanted Glenn to stay and said so in media interviews.
But Tooves was "discouraged" by the previous joint owner and the ex CEO.

Anyway, it's all history now.
Finally, Toovey will have the right people behind him.
Things are okay again for Manly, with a tinge of sadness and sentimentality, seeing a couple of yesteryear heroes depart from our great club.

I don't think you can compare Menzies to Choc and Gift, because Beaver was 5 years older them both of them at the time of his departure. He was also willing to have a cameo overseas, netting him big dollars.

Gift and Choc have only just passed 30 and still believe they have 2-3 good years left in them at NRL level, and were both looking to play them out at Manly. I hazard a guess they both felt entitled to be looked after by the club given their service over the years, pay cuts, and two premiership etc, but the club would not bow to their demands, and decided to move Gifty on, and only offer Choc two years.

Gifty was shown the door, and Choc got upset and decided to look elsewhere for a three year deal. They obviously felt betrayed by the club (particularly Choc) and the rest is history.

mmmdl said:
These older players need to take a good hard look at themselves - and then an even harder look at a true Manly legend in Steve Menzies.

When Beaver finished with the club in 2008, he didn't want to go. But he left, so that the club could keep some rising stars, with the names of Watmough and Stewart. And now their time has come to do the same as Beaver, but all they want is money, and have no real love or passion for the club, not like Beaver, and weren't willing to sacrifice.

So for me, it's thanks Choc, bye, enjoy your money. I'll stay loyal to those that kept loyal like Beaver and Toovey. True legends.

De$ didn't want Beaver. It was that simple. Beaver was sent packing.

Beaver wanted to play on at Manly after 2008 and waited as long as he could. He even said so in the media. Beaver didn't hide his intentions. He would have stayed for much less if De$ (whom had absolute control) had wanted him.

At the end, he had no where else to go but the UK. Beaver wasn't the type to play in a different Aussie jersey and disappoint his grandpa Mackie.

Yeah i imagine it came down to salary cap in the end.

To keep a guy in his twilight and lose the likes of ferris, JSL and T Red would be silly.

As mentioned the sad thing is that if we knew choc was going we could have saved gift (but I realise that if gift was staying choc would too).

mickqld said:
Dan said:
simon_eagle said:
I was under the impression an offer was in the pipeline but was not offered to Glenn for the following reasons:

1. After counsel from the NRL, the Club were advised that the NRL wouldn't sign off on the contract because it was way below the market value of a player of his ability

2. A contract was drawn up but Manly felt that to offer it to Glenn (via his manager/agent), it would have been disrespectful to a player of his standing. Again, because the offer was so low.

As things have turned out, I wish Choc had asked for a release from the start, because then with the $$$ he was receiving for 2015 could have been better used topping up Glenn's contract. I would rather Gift than Choc anyday.

More or less correct. Actually completely correct. We had less than 200k to offer him and thus did not make an offer.

Rediculous. Would gladly have seen Tom Symonds & Horo off and used that money to keep Gift. Then we could have kept Choc & the youngsters they wanted to sign. This has been poorly handled from the start and the reasons why Choc,The Stewarts,Foz & Matai are so pissed off. People on here are happy to see 2 club legends gone & replaced by has beens and maybes. This is disasterous. We have no forward leader, no club legend to show the way for the new breed to learn our culture.

Was Perry's choice. But we used that $150k to renew symonds etc so it wouldn't have kept gift.

From what I understand Gift wanted to leave last year anyway

Ritchie: Did Brett Stewart ever approach you for a release?

Toovey: No, he has never approached me. There is no issue there. Brett is on contract for two more years.

Ritchie: Did Steve Matai ask for a release?

Toovey: No, not that I’m aware of.

Ritchie: Matai said he did.

Toovey: His manager might have but I don’t speak of individual contracts. He is under contract.

from foxsports and didn't know where to post it....has a 2v interview and I love this response:

Ritchie: Do you get annoyed when people say you inherited Des Hasler’s side?

Toovey: We all inherit sides.

globaleagle said:
Ritchie: Did Brett Stewart ever approach you for a release?

Toovey: No, he has never approached me. There is no issue there. Brett is on contract for two more years.

Ritchie: Did Steve Matai ask for a release?

Toovey: No, not that I’m aware of.

Ritchie: Matai said he did.

Toovey: His manager might have but I don’t speak of individual contracts. He is under contract.

from foxsports and didn't know where to post it....has a 2v interview and I love this response:

Ritchie: Do you get annoyed when people say you inherited Des Hasler’s side?

Toovey: We all inherit sides.

Go Tooves, what a machine. I hate Dean Ritchie, he's such a muppet.

mickqld said:
This is disasterous. We have no forward leader, no club legend to show the way for the new breed to learn our culture.

Mick, have you forgotten Matt Balin? He is inspirational both on and off the field; a great role model in every way. Never been anything but positive about the team and his fellow players. Always has time for we fans. Dedicated, unassuming and probably underestimated by most RL supporters - except us, eh Mick?

The Who said:
mickqld said:
This is disasterous. We have no forward leader, no club legend to show the way for the new breed to learn our culture.

Mick, have you forgotten Matt Balin? He is inspirational both on and off the field; a great role model in every way. Never been anything but positive about the team and his fellow players. Always has time for we fans. Dedicated, unassuming and probably underestimated by most RL supporters - except us, eh Mick?

Surely Mick was doing his usual thing, I got it.

jbb/james said:
What about all the hoo haa about toovey been given the green light to offer gifty a contract and then some of the board, reported as phil sydney withdrawing that offer leaving gifty no choice after being pissed about for considerable time Are we to believe this didnt happen and it was reported incorrectly. Thats the stuff i was refering to originally

Yes. The issue wasn't so much money but the board. Phil Sidney sounds like a chap who fancied himself a Greek god.

This article says a lot - Loss of Glenn Stewart to South Sydney Rabbitohs still rankles Manly Sea Eagles board
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/loss-of-glenn-stewart-to-south-sydney-rabbitohs-still-rankles-manly-sea-eagles-board-20140913-10glt5.html

I'd put money on Glenn being forced out; there was room under the cap but the board were clearly forward planning. The funds for Glenn were earmarked to keep Buhrer and Symonds, and leave room down the track for upgrading DCE and Foz.

I am torn on how I feel about this. If we re-sign Glenn, we trot out the same pack of forwards we did last year (who made the least amount of metres of all 16 teams in the competition), only Glenn and Choc are another year older, and another year closer to breaking point.

Instead we have a revitalised forward pack with some much needed size, but at what cost? results next season will tell the tale.

I.don't by into the political agenda of Sidney. Facts are Gift has been a great player who has struggled with injury to stay on the park. The thing ppl overlook is.how much he was.getting.paid in his last year at manly. Souths may have paid 600k but seriously what should gift get 250 max. If.he.plays only 6 games a year the club has.still done its doe. He is a.massive salary cap risk.

Cliffy said:
I.don't by into the political agenda of Sidney. Facts are Gift has been a great player who has struggled with injury to stay on the park. The thing ppl overlook is.how much he was.getting.paid in his last year at manly. Souths may have paid 600k but seriously what should gift get 250 max. If.he.plays only 6 games a year the club has.still done its doe. He is a.massive salary cap risk.

I suspect that Souths privately may admit that they acted hastily on signing up Gift. From reports at the time, he appeared to be a "knee-jerk" reaction to Sam Bargarse's union defection. I wonder if they had held on if they would have gone for Adolf Whatnow when he made himself available (from all reports) around May.

I love Gifty and what he did for us during those great years , but anyone who thinks he's at the top of his game and worth $600k a year for another 3 years has rocks in their heads.

He's had two very ordinary years because of injury , he might get lucky and have 3 great injury free years , but to me he's an accident waiting to happen and I think the Grubbitoh's may well regret their haste in signing him.

Mind you I wish him all the very best, through all of what's happened he's been all class!!

Dan said:
mickqld said:
Dan said:
simon_eagle said:
I was under the impression an offer was in the pipeline but was not offered to Glenn for the following reasons:

1. After counsel from the NRL, the Club were advised that the NRL wouldn't sign off on the contract because it was way below the market value of a player of his ability

2. A contract was drawn up but Manly felt that to offer it to Glenn (via his manager/agent), it would have been disrespectful to a player of his standing. Again, because the offer was so low.

As things have turned out, I wish Choc had asked for a release from the start, because then with the $$$ he was receiving for 2015 could have been better used topping up Glenn's contract. I would rather Gift than Choc anyday.

More or less correct. Actually completely correct. We had less than 200k to offer him and thus did not make an offer.

Rediculous. Would gladly have seen Tom Symonds & Horo off and used that money to keep Gift. Then we could have kept Choc & the youngsters they wanted to sign. This has been poorly handled from the start and the reasons why Choc,The Stewarts,Foz & Matai are so pissed off. People on here are happy to see 2 club legends gone & replaced by has beens and maybes. This is disasterous. We have no forward leader, no club legend to show the way for the new breed to learn our culture.

Was Perry's choice. But we used that $150k to renew symonds etc so it wouldn't have kept gift.

From what I understand Gift wanted to leave last year anyway

Yep...Glenn's manager approached Manly before the 2013 season and asked would they consider a release so that he could take up a big offer by Ricky Stuart at Parramatta.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8