The real reason the coach is a dud

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I know I have posted this before but

Decision made with 'heavy heart': Penn

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Chairman Scott Penn says the decision to terminate Geoff Toovey’s coaching contract at the end of this season was one made with a ‘heavy heart’.

Although contracted as Head Coach for 2016, the club has decided to honour Toovey’s contract in full until the end of next season in recognition of his legacy to the Sea Eagles for almost three decades.

Penn said it was a difficult decision but one made in the best interest of the club’s future.

“Geoff is a legend of the club, a life member and one of our longest serving players. It is obviously an emotional time for our fans and for our players,’’ Penn said.

“As a club, we are a results driven business. We live and die by our results on the field. 2015 has not been a season we are used to. The thought of potentially missing the finals after Ten years of consecutive Final appearances is not a place we want to be as a Club.

“This year we have been conscious of making decisions based on our results. Ten weeks ago, we were on the bottom of the ladder, both of our halves were leaving, and we didn’t have a lot of hope for the future.

“I had a frank conversation with Geoff in March to say we are going to be watching results closely this year. We don’t want to make any rash decisions but if the team is not performing as we want to, you and I are going to have to have a tough conversation. Unfortunately, we have had that tough conversation.”

Penn said the club had undertaken an exhaustive process to make sure the right processes were in place for 2016 and beyond, to ensure the Club were once again Premiership contenders.

He said the board decided to give Geoff time to hopefully turn the team’s performance around without making a ‘rash decision’ 10-12 weeks ago.

“There have been a lot of changes behind the scenes. We bought in some advisors to help with that process and what that has done has given us hope for the future,’’ Penn said.

“We have signed a number of marquee players for next year and we have a lot of hope around the club. The fact is we didn’t believe we had the best coaching structure in place at that point of time and we have decided to make some significant changes for 2016.”

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2015/07/29/decision-made-with-heavy-heart-penn/

Man Scott penn and co are absolutely destroying this club with the help of TB.. 2V's was never this poor results wise.

He won't come back nor should he but 2V's would be hurting so much seeing how his beloved manly sea eagles is right now.

Last edited:
I know I have posted this before but

Decision made with 'heavy heart': Penn

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Chairman Scott Penn says the decision to terminate Geoff Toovey’s coaching contract at the end of this season was one made with a ‘heavy heart’.

Although contracted as Head Coach for 2016, the club has decided to honour Toovey’s contract in full until the end of next season in recognition of his legacy to the Sea Eagles for almost three decades.

Penn said it was a difficult decision but one made in the best interest of the club’s future.

“Geoff is a legend of the club, a life member and one of our longest serving players. It is obviously an emotional time for our fans and for our players,’’ Penn said.

“As a club, we are a results driven business. We live and die by our results on the field. 2015 has not been a season we are used to. The thought of potentially missing the finals after Ten years of consecutive Final appearances is not a place we want to be as a Club.

“This year we have been conscious of making decisions based on our results. Ten weeks ago, we were on the bottom of the ladder, both of our halves were leaving, and we didn’t have a lot of hope for the future.

“I had a frank conversation with Geoff in March to say we are going to be watching results closely this year. We don’t want to make any rash decisions but if the team is not performing as we want to, you and I are going to have to have a tough conversation. Unfortunately, we have had that tough conversation.”

Penn said the club had undertaken an exhaustive process to make sure the right processes were in place for 2016 and beyond, to ensure the Club were once again Premiership contenders.

He said the board decided to give Geoff time to hopefully turn the team’s performance around without making a ‘rash decision’ 10-12 weeks ago.

“There have been a lot of changes behind the scenes. We bought in some advisors to help with that process and what that has done has given us hope for the future,’’ Penn said.

“We have signed a number of marquee players for next year and we have a lot of hope around the club. The fact is we didn’t believe we had the best coaching structure in place at that point of time and we have decided to make some significant changes for 2016.”

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2015/07/29/decision-made-with-heavy-heart-penn/

Man the Scott penn and co are absolutely destroying this club with the help off TB.. 2V's was never this poor results wise.

He won't come back nor should he but 2V's would be hurting so much seeing how his beloved manly sea eagles is right now.

They certainly have a lot to answer for. If they were honest and said they believed release/retention decisions made by Toovey caused tensions in the playing group, it would have still been a very wrong and totally un-Manly decision to sack Tooves. But history shows they sprouted their 'results driven business' line. Now we're having close to our worst season ever and no comment on the coaching staff, or any communication with the fans.
Fans and particularly paying members need to hear from them. A forum, a club statement, letters to members, anything to explain why Barrett's results are tolerated when they shafted an absolute legend who had a great coaching record.
Speak to the fans Penns. Or at least lets hear from Gorman.

We weren’t doing any better under tooves at his later stages isn’t that why they stood him down if I remember.
Weren't doing any better??????
Grand finalists.
Semi finalists twice
9th spot with what was our worst roster and worst year for injuries, only to miss the finals in a 'nothing suss' final comp game.
And here's something else.
His replacement was given four internationals as a welcome to the club present.
Tooves is better off out of the joint.
They did the champ a favour...

Last edited:
Coaches develop rosters, players play with the roster they've got. Look at the roster Barrett took over and look at the roster we have now. We have more 'marquee players' although lack any balance or mental strength bar Jake Trbojevic, Joel Thompson and Martin Taupau... Balance and Toughness create a good team, not a team consisting of some great individuals.

They certainly have a lot to answer for. If they were honest and said they believed release/retention decisions made by Toovey caused tensions in the playing group, it would have still been a very wrong and totally un-Manly decision to sack Tooves. But history shows they sprouted their 'results driven business' line. Now we're having close to our worst season ever and no comment on the coaching staff, or any communication with the fans.
Fans and particularly paying members need to hear from them. A forum, a club statement, letters to members, anything to explain why Barrett's results are tolerated when they shafted an absolute legend who had a great coaching record.
Speak to the fans Penns. Or at least lets hear from Gorman.
I fear that Lyall now resembles Norman Bates's mum...

Barrett has confirmed his status as a full time rookie coach in tonight's press conference. He speaks, responds and reacts like he's still a player, not a coach. A once mighty club like Manly cannot continue like this. It's over.

I actually had this exact thought listening to the presser. Agree 100%. Where's strone33

Dropping the f-bomb. Whoops. I still like Barrett. We are probably 4-5 players away from competing.

Koroisou, Sironen back would be two.
A speedy replacement for Uate is needed.
We need a new quality bench backrower for next season.
We need a quality 5/8 (that should be the focus).

Dropping the f-bomb. Whoops. I still like Barrett. We are probably 4-5 players away from competing.

We just need to recruit the Rooster's sombrero and all will be sweet

Are you okay mate?

So that’s something to boast about seriously.
Mate, the injuries we had that year were outrageous, our forward leader was a 35 yo Willie Mason. Josh Starling, Dunamis Liu, Ligi Sao were his side kicks. Snake, Choc and Foran were in full rebellion and the team was divided. Under those conditions, ninth place is somewhat of a miracle. To try and compare that, with the carpet ride Trent Barrett has received is chalk and cheese. In any case, the owner has clearly stipulated that this is a results driven business... and our current coach has had two seasons where our results culminated in a lower ladder finish than his predecessor, who got shafted for not making the finals. Fark me, it’s not difficult to work out man.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8