The Snake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Serious question time.

If Snake is passed fit later this season, should he come straight back in as the fullback with Tommy moving to either the wing or centres? Keeping in mind the stark contrast in their respective form when playing fullback and the impact that their form has on the rest of the team.

As much as Snake is one of my all-time Manly favourites....I have to say I'd be in favour of keeping Tom at fullback and Snake not actually playing, especially if we happen to get ourselves into a position where we can sneak into the top 8.

Its sad to say but IMO we look better with Snake not actually in this team.
It's completely in Snake's hands if he applies himself 100%:nod:

The luxury of having both a committed Snake and Turbo would be great for Manly.

Maybe Snake still wants to go out a winner :)

It's completely in Snake's hands if he applies himself 100%:nod:

The luxury of having both a committed Snake and Turbo would be great for Manly.

Maybe Snake still wants to go out a winner :)

If he stays I would have him on the wing, if he's still got some of his pace. He and Turbo at the top of their game could be a great combo. Always thought Snake could have made a great winger. But I suspect that's all a dream.

If he stays I would have him on the wing, if he's still got some of his pace. He and Turbo at the top of their game could be a great combo. Always thought Snake could have made a great winger. But I suspect that's all a dream.

No it would be my way or the highway , he'd only ever play one position.

I think he's played his last game for manly. He will be in France next year. And Turbo if fit must not be anywhere in the side except wearing the number 1. He's arguably one of the top 5 fullbacks in the nrl right now. Maybe top 3.

If Snake was ever going to play on the wing it should have been years ago in rep footy, but never for Manly. By that I mean fullback for NSW and if they were so determined to keep Slater as the Kangaroos fullback because of the Qld and Melbourne connection with Smith, Cronk etc then surely Snake should have got at least one run on the wing.

Even 8 years later I still can't understand how he was dropped from the test team for Slater in the 2008 Centenary Test at the SCG.

The fact that Snake only ever played the one test for Australia is criminal really, even remembering that he missed virtually all of 2009 and 2010 with injury (and other things.....). But then, there are more than a few players over the years that have been victims of the national selectors. Fatty and the 1982 Kangaroo Tour immediately comes to mind.

If Snake does ever play for Manly again (and I too suspect he won't), its fullback or nothing.

Last edited:
I would love to see Brett back this year fully fit. Have been harsh on his form this year and quite rightly, but he is not the Prince of Brrokvale for no reason.

If he is fit again by seasons end, he cant come back into the side in the #1. That is Tommy's now!! I do believe he could play on the wing though only if he really wants to be here.

I, along with many, have been critical of his attitude last year and especially this BUT it's really ( really ) sad to think that he may depart having never had a chance for a farewell game, and one last try and Brookvale Oval.

As has been said, after all he IS the Prince of Brookvale.

If he's off to super league next year surely it would be in his best interests to maximise his recuperation time.
Sad as it may be, I honestly don't see him returning.

Nobody likes to see their favorite players fade and move on. The facts are with Brett, he has had very, very bad knee & associated hamstring injuries which have curtailed the longevity of his career. His mind may be strong to succeed at the highest level, but his body is quitting on him. Is 12 years at the top not enough for all of you.
Tom's time has come, and Brett must be moved on or go gracefully. It is pretty simple. Brett Stewart's time as a Sea Eagle fullback are over! and he will not play wing. If he was ever going to extend his career, a move to pivot may have been his lifeline, but it's all way too late now.
The fat lady is midway through her song, and there is no turning back. His best option in my opinion is to retire. His legacy will unravel in England, where the brutal cold will do nothing for his arthritic knees.
Be thankful you watched this magician strut his stuff over the years, but it is Tom's turn now.

One thing is for sure.....I don't think any of us want this to turn out the way it is right now at the Tigpies with Farah who can't seem to accept that the coach doesn't want him there and that his time as a player with them is just about over.

I'm not saying Snake's time at Manly is over, though I have a sneaking suspicion that it is. But I don't want it to end up a media saga like we're seeing with Farah.

The media are paying no attention to the ending of Snake's NRL career. He's injured, near retirement, and not a well man (diabetes T1). An announcement of an ESL contract will only rate the "but of course" response.
The only thing the media could feed on now, would be 'bad news' about police investigations, gambling, etc.

For Snake, a change is as good as a holiday :happy: , and playing alongside Gifty again would give him a very nice finish to his footy career. Its best for all concerned if he does finish.

But His record for us as the Prince IS A FACT - it is history. These are / were ACTIONS on the field. We are just writing words. Talkers. We are not DOING anything. He DID it - Not us. He did these things despite significant obstacles. One more game or trip round the boundary would satisfy, that is all that is needed to farewell Snake. I for one, will never forget what he has given me. Pleasure to watch him for years and years.

Last edited:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/ad386da713c394c601805fff1c0b0197

The sticky situation for Manly Sea Eagles and Melbourne Storm veterans — Pressure Gauge

WE’VE almost certainly seen the last of Brett Stewart in the NRL.

The 31-year-old will miss the rest of the season following knee surgery but even if he can get up and running again in 2017 surely he can’t reclaim the maroon and white No. 1 jumper he’s made his home for the past decade.

The emergence of teenage sensation Tom Trbojevic leaves Stewart, rookie coach Trent Barrett and the Sea Eagles in a sticky situation.

If Stewart — contracted until the end of 2017 but linked to Catalans of late — does decide to remain in the NRL beyond this year, it will cause headaches either way.

Leave a club legend out in the cold and you’ll cause uproar. Leave a talent like Trbojevic, who is being tipped for an immediate rise to Origin by the likes of Peter Sterling, on the wing and you’ll cost yourself games.

Facing a similar predicament to greenhorn Barrett is one of the game’s most experienced coaches in Craig Bellamy.

Down in Melbourne the Storm are witnessing their very own case of apprentice usurping the master with Cam Munster fast making Billy Slater’s fullback spot his own.

Veteran custodian Slater has barely played a game in the past 18 months but is contracted to the club until the end of 2017.

Slater has admitted he won’t know if he’ll be back for sure from two successive shoulder reconstructions until the next pre-season.

Munster can shift to the centres if need be, and surely will to accommodate Slater if he’s fit. But should Slater struggle to get back to his best, particularly if the Storm were suffering as Manly have done this year, then questions will be asked.

Slater is arguably the greatest fullback of all time. And at his best Stewart was not far off him.

Now we might just be seeing two of the next generation’s best talents forcing the hand of these two legends. Sooner rather than later we’re going to see Munster in maroon and Trbojevic in sky blue.

If their battles are half as good as what we saw from Slater and Stewart, we’re going to need another decade worth of popcorn.

But good luck to the two coaches charged with making the call on when their time starts, and their predecessors wraps up.

I've had 4 favourite players in my 30 years as a Manly fan. First was Cliff Lyons, then it was Steve Menzies, then Brett Stewart and now Jamie Lyon. I think my favourite, favourite player has been Brett Stewart. The way he could turn a game with his blistering pace and no look passes was memorizing.

It would be a shame for him to go out like this and i believe if healthy and playing behind a good competitive side, Stewart still has something to offer in the NRL.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8