This is another reason why we can't get sponsors:

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ryan link said:
Our club selected a person who's prime role was about mediation, and existing staff retention, rather than a salesperson, who could bring in fresh and exciting ideas.

I don't know if you recall me persistently suggesting this may have been the wrong thing to do at the time, and I posed the analogy that we needed someone in the role that could sell, sell, sell.....

But apparently that was negative, because Lowey's a top bloke, and he's Manly frew and frew mate (pass the ciggy's).

Now, what was suggested by me those 16 odd months ago has come to fruition (inability to acquire \"the major\" corporate partner - job well done with Centerbet though).

Therefore, the decision makers have to live with that, and lie in their own beds. You get what you want sometimes.

Your words were alot harsher than that. On one front he has done a good job in keeping the peace or keeping the owners quiet.

With all the s**t the club has self-infilcted on itself and the drammas of the last few years hasn't helped the cause one bit.

Would you say our media manager is doing a good job? Also our coach with the flying under the radar crap, media bans etc etc etc.

I don't know Lowe or how he operates but there is plenty of blame that should not only be pointed at Lowe, but a group of people.

Everyone knows Mayer was made the scapegoat and I think there is still  a sour taste in the mouths of some board members, management, coach and everyone involved with the club.

Time to move on.

DSM5 link said:
Agreed.  I don't like the 'under the radar' approach of Des and his mates.  Put some talking head out there and promote the team and brand.  Wolfie is good.  A very good image for kids.  George would be good.  King is articulate.  There's obviously more so why not get Parramatta off the back page and us on it.  And Canteen, we both want the same thing, it's just that bygones are bygones and he's gone.  No use raking up the ghosts of the past.      

A problem with a couple of those guys is their manager. He is notorious for overcharging for what his signed players do.

Matt Ballin is the 1st one the club should put up. He is the one we normally ask for (also cause he is keen to work with us too). He is articulate, respected for his work ethic and he is a deadset cleanskin. As an extra bonus the guy has model good looks, which means when he does TV he can attract a female audience as well as a male footy fan audience. They need to get some media training for a few players. I'd look at Foran cause he is an international, a playmaker and a good looking kid. Its a shame Lyon isn't a big fan of media work cause he is teh leader, but not all captains are built to do the media side. Wolfie would be idea if not for earlier stated problem.

When you book for these guys for media work you have to asses a few things, who is a the playmaker or star, who's is a communicator , good looking and who has the big personality. Cause for media you want to get the most number of possible viewers/readers, not just the fans of that team

swoop link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186276.msg312035#msg312035 date=1295256448]

Your words were alot harsher than that. On one front he has done a good job in keeping the peace or keeping the owners quiet.

(True enough)

With all the s**t the club has self-infilcted on itself and the drammas of the last few years hasn't helped the cause one bit.

Would you say our media manager is doing a good job? Also our coach with the flying under the radar crap, media bans etc etc etc.

(Honestly, not really. I think there could be a much stronger & pro-active approach, but that's just me. The problem I have is that the club still has a 1970's way of approaching the business on all fronts. That being said, Des has taken us from the basement to the boardroom, so I have no complaints about him too be honest.)

I don't know Lowe or how he operates but there is plenty of blame that should not only be pointed at Lowe, but a group of people.

(Lowe is, and should be the key decision maker. If he's not, then I would question the structure of the club)

Everyone knows Mayer was made the scapegoat and I think there is still  a sour taste in the mouths of some board members, management, coach and everyone involved with the club.

(Well, Lowe's key skill was apparently people skills. There should be no lingering bitter tastes in anyones mouth. If there is, the one thing he was hired to do is not progressing well enough)

Time to move on.

(Agree, and that will happen when I see progression, not regression.)

[/quote]

Ryan link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186276.msg312057#msg312057 date=1295259232]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186276.msg312035#msg312035 date=1295256448]

(True enough)

(Honestly, not really. I think there could be a much stronger & pro-active approach, but that's just me. The problem I have is that the club still has a 1970's way of approaching the business on all fronts. That being said, Des has taken us from the basement to the boardroom, so I have no complaints about him too be honest.)

(Lowe is, and should be the key decision maker. If he's not, then I would question the structure of the club)

(Well, Lowe's key skill was apparently people skills. There should be no lingering bitter tastes in anyones mouth. If there is, the one thing he was hired to do is not progressing well enough)

Time to move on.

(Agree, and that will happen when I see progression, not regression.)

[/quote]

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with you! lol

[/quote]

It appears Manly are finally realizing they need to do a better job getting and looking after sponsors ....

http://www.sportspeople.com.au/sp/position/PositionDisplay.asp?ID=14485

the more media the better, but as we are seeing with Lowey, who would spend a million a year on a club (Manly) that gets very little publicity, to be honest, if you didn't support a team who would you sponsor? My rankings: In terms of publicity for your club
1. Souths 2. Broncos 3. Roosters 4. Saints 5. Storm

The rest: Sharks, Sea Eagles, Parra, Tigers, Knights etc all are average NRL clubs with not alot of recognition. When you look at the top 5 that is where you will get your money's worth.

Darren link said:
the more media the better, but as we are seeing with Lowey, who would spend a million a year on a club (Manly) that gets very little publicity, to be honest, if you didn't support a team who would you sponsor? My rankings: In terms of publicity for your club
1. Souths 2. Broncos 3. Roosters 4. Saints 5. Storm

The rest: Sharks, Sea Eagles, Parra, Tigers, Knights etc all are average NRL clubs with not alot of recognition. When you look at the top 5 that is where you will get your money's worth.

I'd probably vote Tigers and Parra a lot higher than Roosters and Storm. They have the largest fanbases, do more media appearances than any other team and get more games on channel 9 free to air coverage. Plus Benji and Hayne are posterboys for the league

Ii agree with the Captain. Parra have a huge fan-base, though it does amaze me at the level of support that Manly has out in Country NSW.

Souths publicity is on the back of Rusty and the Broncos and Storm are one-city teams, though have done well based on their success. Dragons have a huge fan-base as do Dogs.

Channel 9 games is the key at the present and we were badly dudded in 2010.

Canteen Worker link said:
Ii agree with the Captain. Parra have a huge fan-base, though it does amaze me at the level of support that Manly has out in Country NSW.

Souths publicity is on the back of Rusty and the Broncos and Storm are one-city teams, though have done well based on their success. Dragons have a huge fan-base as do Dogs.

Channel 9 games is the key at the present and we were badly dudded in 2010.

Yeah its a shame country areas aren't counted in ratings. All they care about is Syd, Melb, Bris and more importantly where the ratings boxes are in those capital cities.

Pity Nathan Tinkler's not a Manly supporter!!$10m a year for 10 years is his latest offer to the knights.Imagine that much moola!We might even be able to get the local/state/federal govts to chip in and replace 1 or 2 blades of grass on the hill at Brookie

ayjay007 link said:
Pity Nathan Tinkler's not a Manly supporter!!$10m a year for 10 years is his latest offer to the knights.Imagine that much moola!We might even be able to get the local/state/federal govts to chip in and replace 1 or 2 blades of grass on the hill at Brookie
Mate, read between the lines.
He is only guaranteeing 10 million in sponsorship per year. Not actually paying that amount himself. He will just kick in the shortfall which probably won't be all that much.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=ayjay007 link=topic=186276.msg312094#msg312094 date=1295309884]
He is only guaranteeing 10 million in sponsorship per year. Not actually paying that amount himself. He will just kick in the shortfall which probably won't be all that much.
[/quote]

Based on the knights current sponsorship of $7m a year he will kick in at least $3m next year.

Not a bad sum to support a football team.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=ayjay007 link=topic=186276.msg312094#msg312094 date=1295309884]
[/quote]

I realise there would be "fine print" to his support,but as tookey posted after us,$3m (an estimate) is better than no million.Also,as you said,sponsorship is not forthcoming-YET!!Maybe Patinack Farm (his horse empire) or his coal company could be OUR front of jumper sponsor for a lazy $1 to 2 mill per season.

BY the way WHICH teams were up in Brisbane today doing volunteer work helping people shovel the mud out???

Manly...cough cough....no

Parramatta and Tigers

Fantastic publicity, on every TV station here and will be across the papers tomorrow (and I bet the online media have LAPPED IT UP)...and you can bet 100 to 1 that the NRL paid for their airfares so cost to clubs would have been nada.

Name the teams with biggest SEQ fan base

1) Dragons
2) Manly

Nuff said!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:

1) Dragons
2) Manly

Nuff said!!

forgive my ignorance but what is SEQ?

Also Bulldogs and Titans were doing cleanup today as well. Hasim did an Iv on 9 news and boy has he been hitting the pies since retirement

Captain of the Gate link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=186276.msg312181#msg312181 date=1295345132]

1) Dragons
2) Manly

Nuff said!!

forgive my ignorance but what is SEQ?

[/quote]

South East Qld

And Mark you are right, why didn't our club send anyone up there. A perfect opportunity missed.

Did our club completely severe ties with the sunshine coast sea eagles and forget about them.  This is where we need a media manager who's proactive.

Thanks Swoop...yes South East Queensland, basically sunny coast, goldie and Brizvegas...sorry thought most people knew what SEQ meant.

I was dissapointed to see other clubs represented and not Manly, I know they are doing the Tenty 20 match BUT that's not exactly "getting your hands dirty" is it??

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Thanks Swoop...yes South East Queensland, basically sunny coast, goldie and Brizvegas...sorry thought most people knew what SEQ meant.

I was dissapointed to see other clubs represented and not Manly, I know they are doing the Tenty 20 match BUT that's not exactly \"getting your hands dirty\" is it??

The media were all over the NRL guys that went up there. On just every tv station.

It would cost a motza to pay for that much publicity.

Having said that, I hope the mess up there is sorted out quickly. Some gut-wrenching scenes on TV and the tragedy of 20 plus people losing their lives.

Having seen this first hand myself at the weekend I can assure you what you see on TV is relativly sanitized....being there, on the streets, with the smell, the mozzies and the mud.....now that's a life changing experience!!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7