Pre-Game Tigers v Manly [Round 8, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

16 22
Campbelltown Sports Stadium
23 Apr 2023 04:05 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im finding the tigers super interesting at the moment. If they genuinely get worse and worse, Sheens' stint back will involve one of the worst 'logbooks' in recent memory

After he came in
1. Poor start to season under Madge
2. The season started to feature a few decent showings (and big eels win)
3. Tigers announce Api, Papalii signings. Tigers' future appears bright now.
4. The Tiger's mild-resurgence wasn't enough. Sheens punts Madge early, with no apparent solution
5. Season completely derails, and kimmorely thrown under the bus in the process
6. Chases Ciraldo quite desperately w/ no other options... fails
7. Conducts a review for finding the Tigers next coach... Decides he is the only suitable option.
8. Knights wanted Brooks (finally Tigers can end the failed marriage)
9. So Sheens gives them Hastings... (a 'lock')
10. Absolutely dire performances to start 2023 @ home
11. Sheens mentions Douihie, the man keeping Hastings at lock, is the clubs best fullback
12. Lacking a single half, Sheens desperately searches for one, but gets rejected by every man and his dog
13. Tigers lose to Manly by 70 in rd 8

It writes itself :inlove: (although number 13 was my favourite)

I’ll be a lot lot more convinced that we are heading places when we win a game against a side like this and are ruthless.

Because to be 110% honest , it’s more than a decade since I’ve seen that happen.
Great, you've made Trent Barrett's 21' bulldogs upset now,

They got walked over so easily that it barely even counts

Last edited by a moderator:
Im finding the tigers super interesting at the moment. If they genuinely get worse and worse, Sheens' stint back will involve one of the worst 'logbooks' in recent memory

After he came in
4. Punted Madge early, with no apparent solution
6. Knights wanted Brooks, so Sheens gave them Hastings (a 'lock')
7. Absolutely dire performances to start 2023 @ home
8. Noticeably desperate in searching for a half, but getting rejected by every man and his dog
9. Lose to Manly by 70 in rd 8

It writes itself :inlove: (although number 9 was my favourite)

The Moral of your Tiger Town story ...
An Organization is only as Great as the Great people it acquires

The Moral of your Tiger Town story ...
An Organization is only as Great as the Great people it acquires
Definitely,

I went to edit one of the points and ended up adding 4 more without even having to think!!

After he came in
4. The Tiger's mild-resurgence wasn't enough. Sheens punts Madge early, with no apparent solution
6. Chases Ciraldo quite desperately w/ no other options... fails
7. Conducts a review for finding the Tigers next coach... Decides he is the only suitable option.
8. Knights wanted Brooks (finally Tigers can end the failed marriage)
9. So Sheens gives them Hastings... (a 'lock')
10. Absolutely dire performances to start 2023 @ home
11. Sheens mentions Douihie, the man keeping Hastings at lock, is the clubs best fullback
12. Lacking a single half, Sheens desperately searches for one, but gets rejected by every man and his dog
13. Tigers lose to Manly by 70 in rd 8

It writes itself :inlove: (although number 13 was my favourite)

Ok , once then !!

But you know what I mean

I’ll be a lot lot more convinced that we are heading places when we win a game against a side like this and are ruthless.

Because to be 110% honest , it’s more than a decade since I’ve seen that happen.
Oh, a shame you missed 2021, there were some great moments for Manly as they did it pretty much on a weekly basis after Round 5!
:)

Oh, a shame you missed 2021, there were some great moments for Manly as they did it pretty much on a weekly basis after Round 5!
:)
Yeah well that was a one off too , brought on Vlandyball rules 1, which suited a certain fullback to a T.

But other than that , my point is still a valid .

Ok , once then !!

But you know what I mean
oh no I actually agree with what you were saying

The bulldogs were so vulnerable in that game it probably doesn't qualify as being 'ruthless'.

Definitely some glimpses in the recent years (even the start against newcastle). But it'd be great to see us shut the opposition out of the game early and continue with it for the full 80mins.

oh no I actually agree with what you were saying

The bulldogs were so vulnerable in that game it probably doesn't qualify as being 'ruthless'.

Definitely some glimpses in the recent years (even the start against newcastle). But it'd be great to see us shut the opposition out of the game early and continue with it for the full 80mins.
We would have won 100-0 that day if we were ruthless. The Bulldogs were woeful and we were cruising.

We would have won 100-0 that day if we were ruthless. The Bulldogs were woeful and we were cruising.
We are still lacking an ultra-competitive player to help motor us for the full 80. Tom's a litttle underdone still so he won't be able to do it on his own this year

Although I wouldn't go as far as to describe our squad as a 'ruthless' one, I do think there were plenty of better examples of it in 21' than that bulldogs game. But it also emphasises that Barrett has been the coach of some horrible teams

OK starting to get the pre-game excitement now! Our team for this game looks pretty strong. Schuster and Garrick still confirmed In. Our official plan is still Giant Bench Strategy, although I really was expecting Weekes to be elevated for 9 relief and backline cover. I'd prefer if that were the case although a plan to bash the Tigers in the middle and force them to play grinding football is not a terrible plan. They like high-score touch footy, not tough footy. Should be a solid win and Go Manly!

If the 1-17 does indeed stay as is, I can only assume Croker is considered back up for any halves injury & Jake is considered back up for Croker.

Fingers crossed none of our 1-5 go down injured because I can’t see any back up for them, other than Samuela at centre perhaps?

Anyway, interested in seeing the final 17 & if it does stay as is, interested in seeing how the game goes, as I imagine it’s going to be very physical & played down the middle for the majority of it.

Makes the Nase situation even more disappointing. Was looking forward to the day when we started 2 sets of 3 brothers. The tears from Sam and Ola really started to flow when Nase was mentioned.

Poker nights, golf days and talented girls shooting ping-pong balls out of their nether regions:​

Mateship driving Manly revival​

If Manly’s players looked a little weary on Friday, it was for a good reason. And it wasn’t the normal rugby league after-dark madness.
Several Manly players did not go to bed until after midnight because they were playing poker at Tom Trbojevic’s house. They played for money. As if Turbo needs any more

A few weeks earlier, more than a dozen Sea Eagles spent their day off at Campbelltown, where front-rower Josh Aloiai lives, playing the video game FIFA.
There have also been card games at Taniela Paseka’s place; a trivia night hosted by Trbojevic and his brother Jake; competitive games of table tennis; and a round of golf, when a few players were contenders for being charged with grade-three reckless swinging.

There were two storylines coming out of the northern beaches during the off-season. The first was Tom Trbojevic’s dodgy hamstrings and his trip to see reconditioning guru Bill Knowles. The second was how new coach Anthony Seibold had made bringing the players together a priority after the pride jersey fiasco had, apparently, divided the group.
There was a three-day army camp in Mudgee before Christmas and a pig on a spit, which was wheeled out one night at Brookvale as a show of appreciation to the club’s large Polynesian contingent.
Happy campers ... Haumole Olakau’atu and Daly Cherry-Evans embrace.

Happy campers ... Haumole Olakau’atu and Daly Cherry-Evans embrace.CREDIT: GETTY
It was all designed to bring the players together.
Even Manly owner Scott Penn was struck by the bond between the players during their trial win over the Roosters in February.

“We needed someone who could help galvanise [the group] and get the younger players to believe in themselves and bring them through,” he said. “Anthony is doing a terrific job.”
Last year was last year. The inclusivity jersey fiasco thrust the spotlight onto a problem that was already festering. Seven players refused to wear the club’s rainbow-themed jersey, which was, ironically, designed to celebrate diversity and inclusivity.
Josh Aloiai, Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega and Jason Saab after last week’s win against the Storm.

The players did not hate each other, but they barely associated off the field. And with former coach Des Hasler being a strict disciplinarian, the mood in the change room was never going to lighten.
This is not a story about Hasler. Dessie has enjoyed success, and will enjoy success whenever he and his wonderful hair pop up in the NRL again.

This is a yarn about how Manly became mates, and how the off-field friendships are driving their resurgence on the field.
The Sea Eagles go into Sunday’s clash with the battling Wests Tigers a point outside the top four. Depending on results, they could head into Magic Round chasing top spot.

Manly players drag a five-tonne truck, loaded with another two tonnes of equipment, through the bush near Mudgee.

Manly players drag a five-tonne truck, loaded with another two tonnes of equipment, through the bush near Mudgee.

It’s a scenario that seemed a world away when they lost their final seven matches and missed the finals last season.Aloiai was among the players who finished up late at Trbojevic’s pad. He told The Sun-Herald it was unlikely he would have done such a thing this time last year.“A happy group makes good footballers,” Aloiai says. “We’ve spent a lot of time together, and we are tighter than we’ve ever been.“It’s funny how much you turn up for your mates on the field when you have those closer bonds off the field. You understand your teammates a lot more when you understand where they come from, how they were brought up and what makes them tick and why.
‘The golf day was fun. I played with Josh. He had the most unco-ordinated swing I’ve seen.’
Tom Trbojevic
“Even for me, it’s been surprising how much of a difference being well connected makes.
“It starts at the top. I give big praise to Seibs [Seibold] and the rest of the coaching staff.

“The leaders are trying to drive it now. Whether I host something at my house – we had a big FIFA tournament running at my place with most of the boys coming out to my place – or Turbo hosts things; we’re trying to organise different things for the whole group.
“It didn’t happen last year. It wasn’t one of our priorities, put it that way.”
Aaron Woods (right) has been impressed by the spirit of togetherness at Manly since his arrival from the Dragons.

Aloiai was painted as the ringleader of the seven Polynesian players who refused to wear the inclusivity jersey because of their Christian beliefs.
The jersey was the beginning of the end for Manly’s season, and ultimately cost Hasler his job.

You have to wonder if the same thing would have happened had the Manly players known each other as well as they do now.
There was never a wedge between the Pacific Islanders and the rest of the Sea Eagles. Aloiai says it was a lazy narrative that should never have taken off the way it did.
Trbojevic said Seibold had been big on “connection”, and he would have pushed that mantra, regardless of what happened towards the end of last season.
“That’s the type of coach Seibs is,” Trbojevic says. “Some boys are closer than others, which happens at every workplace. It’s not compulsory for everyone to turn up to these events, but it’s been great.
“I remember going to Mudgee and we were speaking about trying to put something on at least once a month. The golf day was fun. I played with Josh. He had the most unco-ordinated swing I’ve seen.”

‘I had to pinch myself’: The Haumole hit that shook Queensland

Aaron Woods arrived a couple of weeks ago from St George Illawarra and was struck by the happy camp at Brookvale.
There were a few players he already knew, including Aloiai, who was starting out at the Tigers when he was captain.
“We used to call Josh ‘Hums’ because he was so humble – but he’s not humble now,” Woods quips.
“I walked in here the first day and he sent me a text asking me to get him a latte with one sugar and a bacon and egg roll with barbecue sauce. He’s one of the leaders now and the alpha male. “But this joint has been unbelievable. Sometimes a change is what you need.”Manly have had just that.

Last edited:
How many tries will we score? I'm gonna say 6 tries and 5 goals. Tipping us to keep the Tigers to 6pts or less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10