Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
He will be announced before friday, will train with the boys for a few weeks then take over the #6 spot, Croker will play#4 until Dylan returns then be our bench utility after the weather cools down. We will pay him 100k and put 700k away to sign a TOP centre before june 30 or front-load someone if we don't find one.
Sounds good to me and solves the goalkicking problem.

That’d do nicely, can you inform the SeaEagles of your intentions!!

He will be announced before friday, will train with the boys for a few weeks then take over the #6 spot, Croker will play#4 until Dylan returns then be our bench utility after the weather cools down. We will pay him 100k and put 700k away to sign a TOP centre before june 30 or front-load someone if we don't find one.

Inside info or just an opinion?

Croker won’t play centre.

That can’t be right....because that would make it this week! that’s too soon!

We need another centre ? Surely from Walker , Kelly . Parker , Tom and Matt Wright , there can soon be a combination that will serve Manly "s requirements . Granted that Walker"s absence will leave a bit of a void for a while but the remaining centres should be able to still do the job . Just pleased that Parker and Tom Wright are on extended contracts into next season as i think that it was very important to retain these two . Even Kelly looks to have shown some improved form yesterday . If Manly does not utilize and show confidence in guys like Parker and Tom Wright and Kelly when they can offer much to the club . they will inevitably lose them .

Parker will get a chance I would think.

I would like it to be Parker too matey.

Bit of a problem though with Croker when Carnage arrives. If he can't play centre in Dylan's absence what do we do with him? Will he hang around for 2 years doing his apprenticeship or will he want out? I don't believe he is like DCE was when he came out and will blossom quickly... but he may grow into a good, solid 5/8 under good tutelage.

I don't think he is ready right now and the whole thing nowadays is "results now" driven.

We need another centre ? Surely from Walker , Kelly . Parker , Tom and Matt Wright , there can soon be a combination that will serve Manly "s requirements . Granted that Walker"s absence will leave a bit of a void for a while but the remaining centres should be able to still do the job . Just pleased that Parker and Tom Wright are on extended contracts into next season as i think that it was very important to retain these two . Even Kelly looks to have shown some improved form yesterday . If Manly does not utilize and show confidence in guys like Parker and Tom Wright and Kelly when they can offer much to the club . they will inevitably lose them .

Another quandary here.

I like Kelly a lot and think he has talent BUT centres these days need to be BIG enough to defend against opposing centres and wingers, let alone get on top of them attack-wise consistently. Most centres and wingers are HUGE and my mate Kelly is never going to be big enough, often enough. Sadly.
That alone realistically leaves Dylan's future centre partner options down to T Wright and Parker.

T Wright will be the one...eventually.

That leaves Parker to hang in there and hopefully claim Uate's wing spot in a year or 2, BUT Jade Anderson is the heir in waiting I feel.

Quite the conundrum facing the guys who's employment relies on producing results NOW.

I agree with you there. I still feel Kelly is paddling upstream when it comes to strength and speed compared to a lot of other centres. I personally find T. Wright a better fit or even parker. Kelly is skillfull and has beautiful hands but am afraid his faitherweight frame may hold him back. I also notice that he tends to come off his line very quickly which is OK if you effect the tackle But if you don't you expose yourself. This happened twice against the sharks which led to tries. He is looking more confident though and putting his body on the line and with Taufua also back he should find his stride..just glad we have options.

Another quandary here.

I like Kelly a lot and think he has talent BUT centres these days need to be BIG enough to defend against opposing centres and wingers, let alone get on top of them attack-wise consistently. Most centres and wingers are HUGE and my mate Kelly is never going to be big enough, often enough. Sadly.
That alone realistically leaves Dylan's future centre partner options down to T Wright and Parker.

T Wright will be the one...eventually.

That leaves Parker to hang in there and hopefully claim Uate's wing spot in a year or 2, BUT Jade Anderson is the heir in waiting I feel.

Quite the conundrum facing the guys who's employment relies on producing results NOW.
I have a similar line of thinking and looks like it will be crunch time soon with other back line retention options . And yes , Is Uate retained when someone like Parker can be groomed for his wing spot . Agree that Tom Wright certainly could be the one most likely to partner Walker soon . Kelly [ and defensive issues aside ] while capable of some elusiveness probably will not find the extra speed to go to the next level but Anderson as a wing - full Back prospect should be one to hang on to as well . Anyway these things will be determined in due course and ideally Manly can keep the guys who will be able to offer the most and best contributions for the club .

Ask the Eels to release a centre, they’ve got about ten of them.

I agree with you there. I still feel Kelly is paddling upstream when it comes to strength and speed compared to a lot of other centres. I personally find T. Wright a better fit or even parker. Kelly is skillfull and has beautiful hands but am afraid his faitherweight frame may hold him back. I also notice that he tends to come off his line very quickly which is OK if you effect the tackle But if you don't you expose yourself. This happened twice against the sharks which led to tries. He is looking more confident though and putting his body on the line and with Taufua also back he should find his stride..just glad we have options.

I think he comes out of the line because he is used to having to try to stop them before they get some steam up. A product of not having enough bulk maybe. Yes, Gorge will help his defence, as will Thommo. A decent defensive 5/8 will go a long way for him too.

Yep, lots of options is GREAT but we will have to cull some to keep the more promising AND with some big money contract upgrades next year will take a big chunk of our cap.

It's tough to compete when you don't get a million bucks of TPA's and the governing body continuously has you under intense scrutiny.

Interestingly Bulldog Ritchie did mention this morning on the BSB that Barrett has been in dialogue with Carney. I’d imagine if after the cap stuff wraps up and we’re able to, he’ll be signed on a short term contract.

For me this is a win/win. Short term, cheap deal means it will have little impact on our cap moving forward. So if it works great, if not we’ll still be able to go to market next year.

One of my player manager mates reckons that Manly are trying to source a big, mobile front rower for our 30th spot. The only large one I know available and I hope I am very wrong was Dave Taylor? I wonder if we will be looking at ESL?

Also heard that Manly had someone watch Carney goal kicking over a 2 day period, around 250 shots to check out how consistent he is. It evidently rained cats and dogs but even in the rain he went pretty good with a better than Matt Wright conversion percentage. They evidently asked for medical reports?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11