Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
MadMarcus link said:
I'm confused Fonz - are you agreeing with me now that Gallop's statement was just a carefully worded cover for the real reason for the fine?  That is the only point I have trying to get across this whole thread!

And btw I think you are the first person ever on this forum to claim David Gallop is smart!

Ha ha. Intelligent is the word i should have used. My second post in this thread says it all. My point is that the fine was handed down and justified by the NRL. My other point is that regardless of what happened to Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough and most likely others made sure it was justified through their own actions. Stewart may not have broken the law but Watmough did. Whatever anybody thinks the real reason for the fine is doesn't matter. There will be no admission of guilt, or, repayment of the money. I'm sick of hearing people whinge about the money and the suspension. It's over. Move on.

Fonz link said:
I'm sick of hearing people whinge about the money and the suspension. It's over. Move on.

Just because you are sick of it doesnt diminish other peoples opinions on the matter and you cant just make people accept what happened.

Fonz link said:
The $100.000 fine was for not policing the consumption of alcohol at a club function.

If this said "the official reason for the $100,000 fine was for not policing the consumption of alcohol at a club function" I would agree with you.  I don't think anybody is disputing that.

Fonz link said:
It's plausible we would have received said fine regardless due to the fact Watmough ploughed his fist into a sponsors nose.

The NRL's handling of numerous previous and subsequent of comparable events would suggest otherwise.

Having said all that, I agree that the NRL is never going to apologise and I agree we should move on.  I have no problems with the way the NRL has handled the Carney incident.  I disagree completely with how the NRL handled the Stewart/season launch incident which I why I object to your claim that it was justified.

Thanks for the rumble.  Lets just leave it at that.

I'll move on when David Gallop gives a plausible explanation as to why Brett Stewart PERSONALLY received a 4 weeks suspension for consuming alcohol and catching a taxi home. Remember the police couldn't even establish in court that Brett was drunk or refused service. Gallop hasn't got the balls to acknowledge he panicked and made a knee jerk reaction based on a media frenzy. He failed the basic tenet of his chosen profession ...affording innocence until proven guilty. I'll cop the club fine for Manly serving alcohol at a function, but I won't cop the treatment handed out to Brett by that muppet. It was an unprecedented suspension at the time and has yet to be repeated despite a myriad of incidents far worse then catching a taxi home after a few beers. Gallop took it personally and over reacted, he needs to be a man and admit that or get the f#ck out of our game.  

I think the true measure will be in the next incident involving a Manly player that is similar to the above, hopefully one does not eventuate.

If the player is provided the same leeway and treatment as Carney then really we have no right to complain, however if the issue is dealt with more harshly then we have a right to complain.

We all make mistakes, and like Gallop or not, personally I don't like him as an administrator of our game, he may have dealt with the original Brett Stewart issue, at least in our eyes far too harshly. However there needs to be a time when we can all just move on.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186624.msg319549#msg319549 date=1299201961]
I'm sick of hearing people whinge about the money and the suspension. It's over. Move on.

Just because you are sick of it doesnt diminish other peoples opinions on the matter and you cant just make people accept what happened.
[/quote]

Other peoples opinions don't matter. It is not their responsibility to accept what happened. It did not happen to them. It's not their fight. It's Brett's fight. And as it happens he has a legal team to fight that battle for him. Has he asked for your help or anyone elses help? No. I'm sure he is appreciative of the support of fans. I know people are outraged. As am i. But really, firing off shots to the NRL is childish. Do you really expect David Gallop to personally answer you? All you are all doing is getting yourselves over excited. It won't achieve anything else.

Todays article by Phil Rothfield.  Submitted this as new article early this morning Dan, but still not up:

THE next time David Gallop walks into a Manly dressing room, the players will turn their backs on him.

Such is the fury and anger at Brookvale over Gallop's blatant case of double standards in his handling of the Brett Stewart and Todd Carney booze-fuelled pre-season dramas of the past two years. Look at the two cases. Stewart was a total cleanskin. No priors. The face of the game.

He drank a few beers at Manly's 2009 season launch and was asked to leave. He got a taxi home. It's been established in a court of law that that's all that happened.

He was suspended for four weeks - a penalty that Gallop demanded in a late-night phone hook-up to the Sea Eagles board.

Todd Carney?

He has the worst priors of any sportsman in Australia. High-speed police pursuits, drink driving, stomping on cars, urinating on a person, setting a man's groin alight. I'd need more pages to list them all.

He allegedly breaks the law by stepping into a motor vehicle while over the limit the morning after a alleged bender at the Coogee Bay Hotel, despite being warned by a judge that his next traffic offence would result in a jail term.

He receives a paltry $10,000 fine - about a week's pay - and escapes a suspension.

Roosters chairman Nick Politis must be ecstatic.

Is it possible he has exerted his influence to help diminish Carney's punishment?

David Gallop put himself in a dreadful position by handling the Carney issue on his own.

It didn't even go to the NRL board, where bright people like Harvey Norman boss Katie Page and some experienced officials could have at least been consulted and asked for an opinion. The board hasn't even met since last October.

Gallop called for no evidence regarding the Roosters star's off-field behaviour in recent months.

He asked nothing about another drunken incident at an inner-west night spot recently, where Carney misbehaved but was lucky the owner refused to go public because he didn't want bad publicity affecting his business.

So the Dally M winner is free to play in round one and Gallop has handed down his decision.

The Roosters can now rejoice.

Gallop is no doubt a man under pressure. His supporters at News Limited and the Australian Rugby league about to exit the game and hand the power back to Politis and the 15 other club chairmen who now think they run the game.

So how do we prevent this injustice from happening again?

Surely the new commission will have the foresight to set up an independent panel to deal fairly with any future off-field misbehavior. The fans deserve a level playing field.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/znrl/nrl-double-standards-on-todd-carney-brett-stewart/story-e6frfgh6-1226015601242

Who's getting overexcited Fonz?  You?

I feel very still about all this.  This is about putting pressure on Gallop to act with integrity.  I don't really mind whether or not he acts with integrity.  If he does and apologises, fine.  If he doesn't act with integrity by apologising, fine.

What I'm more interested in is exposing the true nature of the man, whether that be a man of integrity, or not a man of integrity.  A win either way.

Fonz link said:
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=186624.msg319558#msg319558 date=1299203959]
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186624.msg319549#msg319549 date=1299201961]

[/quote]

Other peoples opinions don't matter. It is not their responsibility to accept what happened. It did not happen to them. It's not their fight. It's Brett's fight. And as it happens he has a legal team to fight that battle for him. Has he asked for your help or anyone elses help? No. I'm sure he is appreciative of the support of fans. I know people are outraged. As am i. But really, firing off shots to the NRL is childish. Do you really expect David Gallop to personally answer you? All you are all doing is getting yourselves over excited. It won't achieve anything else.
[/quote]

My expressing of how i dont agree with the way the NRL handled that whole issue isnt me getting over excited.

What a circular argument.

Nah that wasn't really aimed at you Jatz. There is another thread where people are falling over them selves to write the most strongly worded letter to David Gallop. Just a waste of time IMO. And yes, circular!

Fonz link said:
Rex, Do you expect David Gallop will ever appologise, admit fault or repay the fine?

Fonz, you are missing the point.  Ultimately it doesn't matter whether Gallop apologises, admits fault or repays fines.  I'm still happy.  Just as it doesn't ultimately matter whether I make a fortune and live in a mansion or find myself destitute on the streets.  Either way I'm still happy.

This is about following the needs of the situation, as they arise.  And as I perceive them.

If Gallop was courageous he would admit error and accept the consequences, just as he is saying Carney should. The question of the moment is "Is Gallop courageous?". Only Gallop can respond to that.  I'm only putting the question.

Referees used to admit no errors, ever.  Now they make an attempt to admit their errors.  And the sky didn't fall when they did.  

THE next time David Gallop walks into a Manly dressing room, the players will turn their backs on him.

Read the full article

Post  automatically merged: [time]1299217787[/time]

Points to Rothfield for having the guts to publish this article.  

The point I have a query about is his claim that the Manly players will turn their backs on Gallop.  Is that true, or speculation and sensationalism?

I wonder whether they would seek to establish a conversation, and perhaps even express their concern about inconsistencies in treatment of Stewart and Carney - in respectful tones.

Gallop in his fury did huge harm to Brett's reputation and to Manly's reputation.  Possibly even more than the papers did.  Is he willing to take action to set things right for Brett in particular and also for Manly?

I hardly expect any comment from Gallop let alone an apology if there's a legal case pending. Lets not forget this is News Limited we're talking about here.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Gallop gone and I fear the independent commission will be a toothless tiger until that day comes.
Lets hope all good things come to those who wait. !

Fonz link said:
[quote author=MadMarcus link=topic=186624.msg319525#msg319525 date=1299198018]
I'm confused Fonz - are you agreeing with me now that Gallop's statement was just a carefully worded cover for the real reason for the fine?  That is the only point I have trying to get across this whole thread!

And btw I think you are the first person ever on this forum to claim David Gallop is smart!

Ha ha. Intelligent is the word i should have used. My second post in this thread says it all. My point is that the fine was handed down and justified by the NRL. My other point is that regardless of what happened to Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough and most likely others made sure it was justified through their own actions. Stewart may not have broken the law but Watmough did. Whatever anybody thinks the real reason for the fine is doesn't matter. There will be no admission of guilt, or, repayment of the money. I'm sick of hearing people whinge about the money and the suspension. It's over. Move on.
[/quote]

Can I ask Fonz, were you at the 2009 season launch because you have claimed on a number of occasions that it is fact that Watmough punched a sponsor. I suggest it may be worth your while to speak to the man himself or to others that were present for that incident before before you make "statements of fact."

Watmough has consistently denied punching the sponsor. He does accept hat he shoved him, but only after the sponsor shoved him first. That version of events has been publicly supported by a number of players and onlookers.

Dessie was on channel 9 news tonight and said
“I think David Gallop has been pretty disappointing.  I think David would be disappointed with himself.  I thought it was a clear chance for him to take a stance of consistency, and he’s been inconsistent in the way he’s dealt with this”.

And on channel 7 news:
“Let’s say there’d be 15 chairmen out there disappointed that David Gallop wasn’t strong.”

Go Dessie!!

Here's some more:
http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/hasler-slams-gallop-113969

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/manly-coach-des-hasler-accuses-the-nrl-of-double-standards-over-todd-carney-affair/story-fn2mcuj6-1226016087266

Post  automatically merged: [time]1299227980[/time]

Given that the forum thread "NRL EMAIL RESPONSE" has been moved to the "Have a Whinge Forum", perhaps the moderators here judge that Des should be moved there too.  He only reiterated pretty much what was said in that thread.

Arbitrary decision on whinging made in that case Rex. Gallop like in fact.

Good on Dessie for standing up and telling it like it is. Good to see someone at the club has the balls to call a clown a clown.

I hope the players do turn their back on him, although I doubt he would have the spine to front up to a Manly dressing room. I expect to see him in the Roosters sheds quite a bit this year though.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11