Tony williams bashers.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Barry Hyland link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=184793.msg286708#msg286708 date=1282468851]
Its called trying to save face.

I noticed Glen Stewart fell off another tackle for a try ( has to be 3 from the last 4 games) and gave away his usual penalty.

Following Watmoughs footsteps
Glen did miss that tackle that led to a try, but he was probably our best against the Warriors. His form hasn't been up to his usual standard, but last night he seemed to play a 5/8 role and run and distributed well.
As for T-Rex: he touched the ball once only in the first 10 minutes, and doesn't go looking for work. If that is the way he is being coached I'm amazed. However, when he did get involved he played very well. He is excellent under the high ball, and clearly outpointed The Beast. What frustrates me, and many other posters, is that he doesn't seem to want to help the forwards run the ball out from tough spots. He is the biggest unit we have, and we all hope that he takes it upon himself to go looking for the ball. We need him more than ever to fire, with our forwards down on troops. He has so much more abaility than Hoppa Snr had, yet I'd reckon 90% of Manly fans would want Hoppa Snr on the wing than T-Rex because he always had a dig.
[/quote]

Totally agree re Stewart. Some dumb stuff, and an embarassing miss on Mannering, but overall, very good. Put Lyon away in the lead up to our first, and set T-Rex up for his second.

Re. Williams, I'll state quite frankly that I couldn't care less that he does some soft stuff at times, but I don't see his team mates looking too upset with him outgunning The Beast last night.

Doesn't anyone give him any credit for the way he beat three defenders for his second try? Two with the swerve, and straight through a third. Average wingers don't do that. Give him the ball within 10 metres of the line one on one, and he'll almost certainly score. You can't rely on average wingers to do that. He outgunned The Beast, average wingers don't do that.

FFS, two or three years ago, the commentators outwardly laughing at the Beast's handling, especially of kicks. But the Warriors persevered with him, and now look. He's a weapon under the high ball.

No, his positives far outweigh his negatives, and I'm happy to have him.

If a guy scores a 2 tries but lets in 2 tries is he worth having??? No doubt he needs a rocket in him but seriously I watch a game and he frustrates the crap out of me, then he goes and scroes a couple of tries, what do you do? He isn't bad enough to drop but he isn't consistent enough to keep!

Fulton link said:
If a guy scores a 2 tries but lets in 2 tries is he worth having??? No doubt he needs a rocket in him but seriously I watch a game and he frustrates the crap out of me, then he goes and scroes a couple of tries, what do you do? He isn't bad enough to drop but he isn't consistent enough to keep!

I see your point, but what two tries did he let in last night?

You know last night I was thinking that the trex name should go to watmough. He is much more like a trex...big head and little hands

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=codewana link=topic=184793.msg286645#msg286645 date=1282452461]
Not true KE. All he has to do is put in 100% effort every game (or almost every game if that is too unreasonable) and I will be silenced.
I'll say it again, when someone wears a Manly jersey all I expect of them is to try their hardest. When Tony does this you'll see me sing a different tune.

We read all week Tony should be dropped, he is not NRL standard, will be no match for Vatuvei etc

Last night he scores 2, makes no errors, no tries are scored down his side of the park, and he played his part in shutting down the NRLs most dangerous winger

Yet people still aren't happy
[/quote]

Interestingly, a few weeks ago I thought Williams had a great game - so much so that I created a thread and expressed just that.

http://www.silvertails.net/forums/index.php?topic=184271.0

What I'm getting at here is that for you to say that some of us have the mentality that "Whatever Williams does, it will never be good enough" is obviously not true (at least on my behalf).

Merdy33 link said:
[quote author=Barry Hyland link=topic=184793.msg286735#msg286735 date=1282474389]
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=184793.msg286708#msg286708 date=1282468851]
Its called trying to save face.

I noticed Glen Stewart fell off another tackle for a try ( has to be 3 from the last 4 games) and gave away his usual penalty.

Following Watmoughs footsteps
Glen did miss that tackle that led to a try, but he was probably our best against the Warriors. His form hasn't been up to his usual standard, but last night he seemed to play a 5/8 role and run and distributed well.
As for T-Rex: he touched the ball once only in the first 10 minutes, and doesn't go looking for work. If that is the way he is being coached I'm amazed. However, when he did get involved he played very well. He is excellent under the high ball, and clearly outpointed The Beast. What frustrates me, and many other posters, is that he doesn't seem to want to help the forwards run the ball out from tough spots. He is the biggest unit we have, and we all hope that he takes it upon himself to go looking for the ball. We need him more than ever to fire, with our forwards down on troops. He has so much more abaility than Hoppa Snr had, yet I'd reckon 90% of Manly fans would want Hoppa Snr on the wing than T-Rex because he always had a dig.
[/quote]

Totally agree re Stewart. Some dumb stuff, and an embarassing miss on Mannering, but overall, very good. Put Lyon away in the lead up to our first, and set T-Rex up for his second.

Re. Williams, I'll state quite frankly that I couldn't care less that he does some soft stuff at times, but I don't see his team mates looking too upset with him outgunning The Beast last night.

Doesn't anyone give him any credit for the way he beat three defenders for his second try? Two with the swerve, and straight through a third. Average wingers don't do that. Give him the ball within 10 metres of the line one on one, and he'll almost certainly score. You can't rely on average wingers to do that. He outgunned The Beast, average wingers don't do that.

FFS, two or three years ago, the commentators outwardly laughing at the Beast's handling, especially of kicks. But the Warriors persevered with him, and now look. He's a weapon under the high ball.

No, his positives far outweigh his negatives, and I'm happy to have him.
[/quote]

and thats my point re T rex. He is good and bad in most matches yet a lot of people only focus on his bad, if you did the same with Glen he would be receiving the same calls to be dropped.

And anyone who thinks T rex is allowed to just wander out of position to take a hit up obviously does not follow Des' style of play.

Dan link said:
You know last night I was thinking that the trex name should go to watmough. He is much more like a trex...big head and little hands

And can't hold a football? 

Fluffy link said:
all he has to do is out run the props for hit ups, second rowers for second phase play, hooker for tackles, half back for kicks, 5/8 for try assists and full back for bomb taking.

piece of piss really

And spend more time on the bench than Chris Bailey.

This argument that T-Rex needs to look like he's really trying is really very, very funny.

When T-Rex creamed Finch he didn't look like he was really trying.

When T-Rex trampled Slater he didn't look like he was really trying.

When Cliffy bamboozled defenses he didn't look like he was really trying.

When Irvine scored countless tries he didn't look like he was really trying.

When El Masri swung his foot to kick goals he didn't look like he was really trying.

When Beaver drove players back in tackles he didn't look like he was really trying.

When the very best play their musical instruments or play their sports, they NEVER look like they're really trying.  

Go watch park footy if you value watching players look like they're really trying.

Rex are you seriously comparing Fifi to Cliffy, Beaver, Irvine etc?

T rex out played and out scored the so called beast vatuvei , he also brushed off the australian fullback slater as if he was a little kid,amongst other victims on his way to the try line.  but all the negative supporters out there just look at his faults and not his good points , remember he is still a young , he is improving and will get a lot better .

I just can't wait for the radical brain surgery that sees us putting Matai's head on Fifi's body

susan link said:
until he plays well consistently he wont get my vote as a regular first grader.Its pretty obvious isnt it.One week people like yourself are on here calling him a superstar,the next people like me are calling him hopeless.

Unless his attitude improves and he turns up each week he is warming david williams seat for him.he does not have the pressure of a playmaker,all he has to do is run hard and try to catch the football.it aint rocket science.

in two games i have seen I have higher hopes for Oldfield.

100% correct. Nice post.

I'd just like to see him take a hit up a few times in the middle to give the forwards a rest.  This would at least give us another option and keep the opposistion guessing if he hovers around the middle a bit more rather than staying out on his wing all the time.

Further I'd like to see him stop crabbing across field and run someone over we know he's good at it.

LOL Rex!!! Can't see the big man retaining his spot for long. That is assuming that the wolfman is right to go next year. Like eagle rock said, i'd tlike to see him in the middle having a bit of a go sometimes, not just on the end picking up the scraps. The middle is where his future lies i would think considering the talent and speed coming up around him. I'd probably get used to seeing Farrar at the back too. Devastating i know but more likely than not!

David Williams form was fairly ordinary last year (by his own admission) and he won't of set a foot on the park for the entire 2010 season. He's played some great footie in the past but I don't quite understand people's logic in regards to him being a walk up start.

No one said anything about walkup start. After september it's a clean slate for everyone. I just believe that being fairly fresh, with a full off season under his belt he'll get the jump on the others. He's proven performer and would be hard to leave out i believe.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8