Tony Williams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hasler’s hell is just what this kid needs

31 Oct 08
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/hasler-s-hell-is-just-what-this-kid-needs/

PLAYING rugby league in 2008 with loose and undisciplined teams like Parramatta and now Tonga is hardly the right preparation for Manly’s new 19-year-old signing, Tony Williams.

If ever a player looked in need of the Sea Eagles’ rock-hard regime of coach Des Hasler it is the highly promising, soon-to-be backrower.

Williams agreed to sign with Manly early in the 2008 season while still a relatively unknown in Parramatta’s under-20 Toyota Cup side. Used mostly as a winger by the Eels, the youngster made 11 NRL appearances in his rookie season and scored four tries.

Parramatta were little more than a rabble at the end of the season as they imploded into a side with little spirit.

It was hardly the environment needed for Williams to gain valuable experience before his switch of clubs.

Young stars like Jarryd Hayne, Krisnan Inu and Feleti Mateo actually went backwards in their careers after promising so much the previous season.

Once Parramatta failed to make the finals, Williams targetted the World Cup and his selection in the Tongan side as his next challenge.

And if Tonga’s performance against Ireland last Monday is a guide, then there is little to be gained by Williams in the blood-red jersey of the South Pacific island. Tonga play a power game with no signs of discipline and if the bully-boy tactics don’t work then there is no fallback.

To be fair, Williams did his job and didn’t get involved in a lot of the rubbish that went on in the game.

Williams looks to me to be a young player looking for a pathway in the game. He will get it the moment he steps into the Manly system.

Exactly 12 months ago Josh Perry came to Manly looking to revive his career. As a youngster Perry carried everything before him and played in a premiership-winning side and State of Origin before he was 22. But, like Williams, he was in need of a change and all the hard work has paid off with another premiership and selection in the Australian World Cup side his reward.

Williams has a summer like never before ahead of him. But come March he will be ready to embark on an exciting career with a football club which believe the harder one works the luckier one gets

The Wheel link said:
Yeah I thought he went pretty good as well, Zorba's article in Manly Daily today says he will be in the forwards and he can expect a pretty hard off season to get him fit
  Half an off season.  He's wasting the first half of it playing hit and giggle stuff for Tonga.

I love that first sentence  "PLAYING rugby league in 2008 with loose and undisciplined teams like Parramatta and now Tonga...

Mind you, Des likes to fly under the radar rather than talk it up like Zorba. This sort of arrogance, though true, can come back to bite?

Bit of a good write up about him in Thursdays Telegraph. He will debut for Manly in England against Harlequins on Feb 22nd

Manly players have nicked named him T-REX

I just hope he is a better footballer then a bike rider, he fell off a push bike at training today and injured his right arm.

Manly Sea Eagles unveil Tony Williams

By Dean Ritchie | December 11, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24781133-5006066,00.html

0,,6393731,00.jpg

THIS is T-Rex - the man mountain about to be unleashed on unsuspecting London.

Manly have officially unveiled big Tony Williams - the former blockbusting winger who arrived from Brookvale from Parramatta.

Williams, nicknamed T-Rex by his new team-mates, will debut for Manly in a World Club Challenge lead-up game against Super League club London at The Stoop on February 22.

The Sea Eagles will play Leeds the following week in the WCC at famous Elland Road. Standing 196cms and weighing 115 kgs, Williams - a potential cult figure - will play in the backs and forwards next season.

"I really want to make an impact at Manly,'' Williams said after being photographed yesterday at Warriewood Beach. "I know Manly are the premiers and it will be tough getting a position in the team.

"But I'm willing to wait and learn. I can't believe how welcome everyone has made me feel.''

Williams, who turns 20 tomorrow, played 11 first grade games for Parramatta last season and has also represented Tonga. "I may play centre or on an edge in the forwards,'' said Williams, who injured his arm after coming off a bike in training.

"I also want to brush-up on my goal-kicking.''

Manly coach Des Hasler said Williams could prove dynamic at Brookvale. "He is a great talent,'' Hasler said. "It will be fantastic for him to reach his full potential. Tony will give us that x-factor with his physical attributes.

"Given he's only 19, Tony has shown a lot of maturity in his understanding of the game.''

The name’s Tony but my mates call me T-REX

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/t-rex/

IT’S the news that will strike fear into every rival player in the NRL.

Giant Sea Eagles recruit Tony Williams, who burst into first grade with a series of destructive performances last season, has warned he’s only going to be bigger and stronger next year.

In just 11 top-grade appearances for Parramatta last season, the Tongan international earned a reputation for being able to trample over defenders.

Williams, who turns 20 tomorrow, measured in at 192cm and tipped the scales at 110kg when he began pre-season training with former club Parramatta 12 months ago.

Now, in full preparations with Manly for next season Williams, whose massive frame has seen him dubbed “T-Rex”, stands at 194cm and 114kg.

‘’And I’m still growing,” Williams told The Manly Daily at Warriewood Beach on Wednesday.

“I’m still a baby I guess, still developing.

“The training here is based mostly on bodyweight, there’s not much heavy lifting but you can always get stronger.

“I’m aiming to be fitter, stronger and more mobile so I can have an even better year next year.”

And that’s something that will undoubtedly happen under the tough training regime at the NRL premiers.

While Williams was a rare bright spot in an otherwise average 2008 Eels team, there’s no doubt he could have been even more dominant if he was used correctly and was fitter.

“I know that and it’s something I’m working pretty hard on,” he said.

“The training at Manly is a bit different. They’ve got their own things going on and it’s been pretty tough but I’m enjoying it.

“Des (Manly coach Des Hasler) has been working a lot more with me on the technical stuff. It’s something I need to improve as well as my power and strength.”

Sea Eagles fans will get their first look at Williams in maroon and white when Manly head to the UK for the World Club Challenge in February.

But what about that nickname?

“Feleti (Mateo) used to call me a dinosaur because I was so big and then one thing led to another and I got T-Rex and it just stuck,” Williams said.

“It’s just a nickname, it doesn’t bother me.”

But it should bother whoever Williams comes up against next season.

One things for sure is that some of the Pomms playing for Leeds will not want to tackle him

if he can play backrower and any outside back position and he performs well, perfect replacement for beaver, of course we can't expect the same standard week in week out, but you have to give credit to a player who can play 50% of positions on the field.

Salad days ahead
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/blindside9/

HE spent most of last season on the wing, prefers to play in the second row but don’t be surprised to see new Sea Eagles man-mountain Tony Williams in the centres next year.

The 20-year-old, nicknamed T-Rex, has been training in that position in the pre-season and would be a more than handy replacement for Steven Bell.

“I don’t care where I play as long as I get a starting position,” Williams told us.

And the self-confessed McDonald’s tragic has admitted he’s cut back on the burgers since his move to the NRL premiers.

“I can’t afford to keep eating that stuff, not with the training we do here,” Williams said. “I’m eating healthier, a lot more salads now.”

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8