Toovey urges refs to penalise Dogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Manly coach Geoff Toovey says it is for 'good reason' the Bulldogs are the most penalised team in the NRL as he turned up the heat on officials to closely monitor Canterbury's controversial decoy runners on Friday night.

Read the full article

Tooves is right. But let's see if things change.
It seems the best way to get a penalty from a shepherd is to take a dive, alla Hall V Manly at Dairy Farmers. It's a terrible shame RL has had to resort to these catty soccer tactics, all because of poor decisions by the video ref.

The rule cuts both ways though. We will need to be flawless also. It would be just like an NRL referee to spend more time refereeing the team whinging about the rule.

Dont even get me started on refereeing standards , we constantly cop it from them , in a way I hope he keeps going coz he will put you mob in the spotlight for the wrong reasons

And so he should.

Massive amounts of tries come that one play.

It was even highlighted by Jason Taylor.

It was then going to be stamped out with hollywood's 2 hour vid jerk explaining what the rest of us already knew.

And it still happens just as much.

Makes you wanna head butt a porcupine!

globaleagle said:
And so he should.

It was then going to be stamped out with hollywood's 2 hour vid jerk explaining what the rest of us already knew.

I used to like Jason Taylor , but he is a coach who cant get a gig .

No wonder he got smashed by one of his own players

barrack o barba said:
globaleagle said:
And so he should.

I used to like Jason Taylor , but he is a coach who cant get a gig .

No wonder he got smashed by one of his own players

Yeah he is a **** coach and a knob but he is way better at commentary on teams and tactics than that dumb **** Kimmorley. How Kimmorley got a gig on Fox I'll never know. Almost as stupid as Tallis.

Perhaps you should piss off to your own site b-o-b and make your own friends. No one here wants to read your comments. You either follow Manly, or you don't, and you obviously don't, so go back to your own site and make your comments there.

In fairness the reason the Bulldogs DON'T get penalised for it, is because it is rarely an obstruction play.

The attacking player approaches long before the try line, and then runs behind a decoy running, once the defence is spread the balls goes wide to the gap and tries are scored.

If the decoy runner takes out or interferes with the defender it's a penalty, but this rarely happens.

The only clubs/coaches complaining loudly about this are the coaches that are unable/lack the intelligence to coach their sides to do the same thing.

MrInvisible said:
In fairness the reason the Bulldogs DON'T get penalised for it, is because it is rarely an obstruction play.

The attacking player approaches long before the try line, and then runs behind a decoy running, once the defence is spread the balls goes wide to the gap and tries are scored.

If the decoy runner takes out or interferes with the defender it's a penalty, but this rarely happens.

The only clubs/coaches complaining loudly about this are the coaches that are unable/lack the intelligence to coach their sides to do the same thing.

This bloke makes my skin crawl.

MrInvisible said:

Wrong, the real issue is the question of so called mis-reads. The decoy runner is tackled by the defending team, as they are coached to do. The ball runner then runs behind that decoy and gains an advantage because the tackler has tackled the decoy runner. This is usually not penalised because it is construed as a "mis-read in defence."

That interpretation is bollocks!!! If a ball runner runs behind a decoy and gains an advantage for ANY reason, it should be penalised.

MrInvisible said:

^^^^ obviously never played the game.

I had a laugh when I was perusing the Kennel and this article was brought up. They all complained how much Toovey was a complainer. Des definitely isn't know for being softly spoken in his opinion of refs. Classic. People complaining about people complaining.

MrInvisible said:

So the reigning Premiers are unable or lack the intelligence to do the same thing? ...lol

The key issue is whether Barba receives the ball on the inside or outside of the first decoy/blocker. Usually it is slightly on the inside and therefore should be a penalty but it happens so fast that he is on the outside before the refs can really make a call. If a try is scored and they go to the video it is still hard to tell. Canterbury push this to the limit and even though it is hard to tell from the overhead shot the real issue is that the defenders nearest the first decoy runner can't clearly see Barba getting the ball. ie: it's a friggin shepherd if he then goes on and takes an advantage after running behind his own player.

After seeing it done so many times teams should be defending this better but that doesn't change the fact that it's not legal. Taylor is not an idiot and it's funny how vocal bulldog's supporters are against him now simply because he is highlighting facts and backing them up with video evidence.

Lovely work from Tooves anyway after Hasler made his subtle jibe about Tooves not having to do much with the team this year.

The first Bulldogs try against the Roosters was very suspect where the decoy runner created the gap for Barba. I thought that should have been called back, the decoy runner pushed the defender back so he could not continue sliding and make an easy tackle on Barba.

When I was reading this story it already had 58 replies. I'd say 80% were having a go at Tooves for whinging.
Quote:" Hated him as a player - always crying to the refs - Hate him more as a coach - still crying!"

Oh well, it was Des that 'the others' complained about last year - so perhaps it's just Manly!

hehe

The big danger is the Bulldogs getting away with their offside tactics (rarely onside when defending their line, left hand side wide defence offside for long periods ); markers splitting early on the last tackle (usually Ennis), unusually high number of forward passes from Ennis ignored; tackled player (often Inu and Perret) taking 2 large strides before playing the ball to clear the ruck when taken low to take the defenders involved out of play (eg Inu against the Tigers a few weeks ago in the lead up to the first try of the game); All these tactics add up , especially in an environment where the referees will be reluctant to blow penalties .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8