Trent Barrett as assistant coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Is there any point in spending 1.4M on DCE and then not spending on the coach though? Kind of like buying an AMG merc to park outside your dump in Shalvey
Agreed. I just think it is a matter of Cleary having no intention of leaving Penrith. I'd suggest he would want to stay until he delivers a premiership - he doesn't want to be known as the coach with potential that almost got there but never did (like Smith).

Agreed. I just think it is a matter of Cleary having no intention of leaving Penrith. I'd suggest he would want to stay until he delivers a premiership - he doesn't want to be known as the coach with potential that almost got there but never did (like Smith).

If that's what was most important he'd still be at the Warriors.

I reckon he'll do what's best for his family.

Could prove to be a very smart move if Barrett does come our way

Have read things from people whose opinion I'd rate pretty highly on this topic saying Barrett will be an outstanding NRL coach in the near future

But posters on here have told me he is a terrible coach...

KE, I agree that Phil Gould is a very smart man and his opinions are worth listening to. He's also very loyal to his players and coaches (again, a positive quality), so it doesn't surprise me that he'd give Barrett a good report. But he also had a high opinion of Brad Fittler, and look how his coaching career panned out…
Coaching a rep side once a year or working as an assistant coach is very different to coaching a first-grade NRL team week in, week out. Much like Fittler, Trent Barrett never struck me (or anyone else, as far as I know) as a mental giant. If we're going to turf a club legend like Tooves, I'd feel a little bit better about it knowing we were replacing him with a demonstrably better option. Even Nathan Brown has more runs on the board than Barrett.
I'd like the club to tough it out and stick by Tooves, although I know that's increasingly unlikely.

I'm not in the camp that wants Toovey gone either, will be fuming if he gets shafted

I'm just prepared to give young blood a go as well I think, and Barrett may just fit the bill, I think he may currently be assisting with NSW as well. I don't think his intelligence has a lot to do with it, and none of us know him enough personally to know about his general intelligence anyway, but I wouldn't doubt his footy intelligence at all and he has been in some good systems to learn the trade

Again I'm happy with Tooves, but not against a young coach coming in if we need a new coach. Look at Robinson, very young and already up among some of the best coaches

I'm not in the camp that wants Toovey gone either, will be fuming if he gets shafted

I'm just prepared to give young blood a go as well I think, and Barrett may just fit the bill, I think he may currently be assisting with NSW as well. I don't think his intelligence has a lot to do with it, and none of us know him enough personally to know about his general intelligence anyway, but I wouldn't doubt his footy intelligence at all and he has been in some good systems to learn the trade

Again I'm happy with Tooves, but not against a young coach coming in if we need a new coach. Look at Robinson, very young and already up among some of the best coaches

But, then again, how good would Robinson be at Parramatta? He has unlimited resources at the Roosters. Coaching this Roosters team would be a dream first up gig.

But, then again, how good would Robinson be at Parramatta? He has unlimited resources at the Roosters. Coaching this Roosters team would be a dream first up gig.
Roosters were a basket case when he started.

Bit like when Toovey took over it was a dream job. You can ask the same question of Toovey how would he go at the eels?

The Trent Barrett interview:

Q: Will you use everyone on the bench and not just bring on 1 guy for 3 mins?
A: Yes!

You're hired!

Bonus question:
Q: Do you rate Hasson?
A: No!

Double this man's salary!

Fair point

A lot of coaching comes down to the cattle you have, and Robinson is lucky there, just something about the way he handles himself and they way the Roosters play look good to me. I think Jason Taylor is a pretty decent coach too, just never had the cattle to be right up amongst the contenders, usually having an average roster and getting them up around the fringes of the 8

Gotta be lucky enough to get the right opportunity at the right time in the coaching game sometimes

If that's what was most important he'd still be at the Warriors.

I reckon he'll do what's best for his family.

Yeah but nobody wins a premiership at the Warriors, he's not Superman :)

I assume that Bozo has had some exposure to Barrett through the SOO setup, so his opinion is probably formed based on that (presuming Bozo is the one driving this). As others have mentioned it's a big difference between coaching the cream of the crop in representative fixtures to the weekly grind of man management in the NRL arena. On face value I wouldn't have particularly thought Trent was a good choice, but what do I know I've never been coached by the guy. I do like our tried and true formula of Manly players being Manly coaches, but that can't go on forever I guess. The only way we'll find out if Barret has the goods is if he is thrown into the deep end. If it does happen then Tooves needs to exit on his own terms and respectfully.

One thing I do find amusing is how every little bit of action at Manly is now linked inextricably with our perceived efforts to retain DCE. It must be embarrassing for Daly to read that every player signing, staff signing, sponsorship arrangement, training regime, boot sponsor, sandwich ingredient and Lord knows what else is being made to help him achieve the triple backflip with pike. I hope he doesn't do a Rick Disneck and blow a sandshoe on approach.

Round 13 deadline will make for some interesting reading on here when the day comes, one way or the other.

Gotta be lucky enough to get the right opportunity at the right time in the coaching game sometimes[/QUOTE]

Happened to one Ricky Stuart, got gifted a premiership team then sweet FA after that.

One thing I do find amusing is how every little bit of action at Manly is now linked inextricably with our perceived efforts to retain DCE.

Maybe Tooves might be getting replaced to entice Foz to backflip... From all reports DCE has no issues with Tooves but the other guy does

You're not suggesting the following is on the cards are you ???

Don't have any source to go by but media suggesting Tooves being replaced is to help DCE make his decision doesn't make sense. I'm in the keep Tooves camp as i would like him to get a good run. He had that in 2013 and 2014 up to September and he did very well. When he is left alone to do his job he delivers.

The club is being run by the cast of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Next, every player will have to do the silly walk to appease DCE.

I'd have Barrett in a heartbeat.

Also, pull the offer from DCE, sign Carney to play with Lyon - the way DCE is making this club look like a circus is embarrassing. Same as 1.4 million dollar boy (LOOOL) Foran.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4