Trent Barrett Poll

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you believe that Trent Barrett is capable of taking Manly to a premiership win

• Yes

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 61 44.5%
  • Not sure, But I reckon he might.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Not sure, But I doubt he will.

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
Manly are ranked 2nd for the most player changes to our team this year. Cronulla and Melbourne have made the least amount. That says volumes for a consistent playing group.

It was much the same last year. Our problem isn't our Coach or our players - it's our injuries to key players.

Something needs looking at to limit the amount of injuries our team suffers. It can't be bad luck and some of the guys are too young to blame age.

and who is ranked 1st ? we are not complaining about the position we are on the ladder. We are complaining about the brand of footy we are playing when we have most of our starting line up on the park and use of the interchange

The question is more about do you think Trent has the smarts to get us there. Of course injuries, bad calls, an average squad all come into calculations but I guess the questions is, if the injury stars align do you think Barrett can recruit the right players make the right descisions on gameday and build a great culture to win another Premiership. In my heart of hearts I say no I dont think he is capable. Of course I dont wish him any bad luck that is crazy, but I am concerned we will waste 3 years of Tom and Jake Turbo's career figuring out that he can't do it.

The question is more about do you think Trent has the smarts to get us there. Of course injuries, bad calls, an average squad all come into calculations but I guess the questions is, if the injury stars align do you think Barrett can recruit the right players make the right descisions on gameday and build a great culture to win another Premiership. In my heart of hearts I say no I dont think he is capable. Of course I dont wish him any bad luck that is crazy, but I am concerned we will waste 3 years of Tom and Jake Turbo's career figuring out that he can't do it.

Well his " smarts failed " ....... " i want Dylan Walker to be 5/8, a running 5/8 "

We all have seen this experiment fail ! How many more experiments can he be allowed to fail before the Turbo's are retiring ?

It was his call to make Walker and DCE work ! He has failed !!!!!! Thats enough for me .... i do not want to see any more of his experiments

Newcastle was 1st. It was a fox sports lab ladder.

There is no brand when you can't get consistency - in attack or defence. Combinations take time and we haven't been able to form combinations.
If you went back and looked at every week - I doubt you'd get 2 weeks in a row where we had an absolute full strength team.

How any one can blame the coach is absurd to me. He is doing the best with the ever changing squad he has each week.

Right now we have Matai, Parcell, myles, snake, and Lawrence out of the starting squad.
That means - You drop Williame, Wright, Api, Starling, Brown out of our squad and we'd be getting very different results.

What about Jason Taylor and the tigers ? No Luke Brooks and you could hardly tell he was missing ??? Manage to beat Cowboys, Dene Halatau at hooker , Elijah Taylor arrived late

Look at the rest of the team - been consistent. Their defence has improved enormously cause they are forming defensive combinations. That comes by standing side by side with the same person until you understand how to defend as a unit. Same for attack. We change weekly - there's just no coach on the planet who could have done drastically different than Baz.

And honestly, comparing brooks and Farah to the amount of outs we have had this year is laughable. Like I said - go thru the year - tell me how many times Barrett got a full strength manly to coach.... Not many. Probably none.

Wests circumstances are completely different.
They have 2 genuine halves. We have DCE and 2 centres - walker who's never played at 5/8th until this season. And Lyon who isn't a 5/8 but is capable of doing the job.
Blake Green will be a massive inclusion for us. He will run the team around and free up DCE for his natural game.
Not being smart, but how do you account for Parra then. Surely they have had a lot worse problems than we have.

Barrett was used to lure all of the Penrith juniors over. It is pretty obvious the intentions they had with signing Barrett and now the partnership with Blacktown Workers

He was not employed for his coaching ability

Our recruitment plan was: sign Barrett in hope he brings their best talent to Manly.

What a sad state of affairs

Rubbish.

Any cheque book can bring across a good junior.

I would have thought getting an experienced coach and paying them $$ would entice them more actially.

Slightly off topic - maybe a little to the side.
I loved that interview with Mr Barrett a couple of weeks back when asked what he thought of coaching after the seven straight losses: "My wife said, 'This is the stupidest job you've ever had.'"

Answer me this,

How did De$ Ha$ler go in his maiden year of coaching??

Probably better than Barrett but my point is , even with him Rome wasn't built in a day.

Let me assure you , if we are 1/8 next season , with a reasonable roster and no injuries the decision to sack the coach may have already been made.

Until then, it's a moot point!!

I predicted the end of the mining boom well before it happened and when the experts were saying it would go for ever. At the peak of the financial crisis I said to a couple of people how I would love to borrow 100 grand and buy bank shares. Yet I have followed league since the early seventies and said to someone a couple of years ago that I have given up trying to predict a premier at the start of the season because I have no idea and just watch the season unfold. Is anyone clear on the name of the winning coach this year? Turn back the clock and offer the same poll to the Knights fans when Bennett arrived or the Berries when Hasler rode into town, Sheens at the cows. Does the result mean anything. Poll the Titans at the start of this year about their top 8 chances under Henry. What would the result prove? How many titles between them have the powerful clubs with all the juniors and all the money have won in the last decade.? Parra, Brisbane, Warriors, Penrith and the Dogs? I would expected plenty of titles but is it any? Any one predict how many origin series Bellamy would win compared to Meninga? One thing I will predict though is a string of NSW wins starting next year. What a hypocrite I am!!!!

Last edited:
I would imagine that going to a club where the culture is so tightly-knit because they are hated by everyone wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world. As Manly fans we are used to the hatred. To me, every time we get booed, an angel is born.

The extent of that hate is huge, so it would have been quite a shock to feel for him.

All of our premiership winning teams have been coached by a former Manly player.

In saying that, though, that's a faint excuse.

Upon reflection, why exactly I wrote this post I don't know. I've confused myself.

I predicted the end of the mining boom well before it happened and when the experts were saying it would go for ever. At the peak of the financial crisis I said to a couple of people how I would love to borrow 100 grand and buy bank shares. Yet I have followed league since the early seventies and said to someone a couple of years ago that I have given up trying to predict a premier at the start of the season because I have no idea and just watch the season unfold. Is anyone clear on the name of the winning coach this year? Turn back the clock and offer the same poll to the Knights fans when Bennett arrived or the Berries when Hasler rode into town, Sheens at the cows. Does the result mean anything. Poll the Titans at the start of this year about their top 8 chances under Henry. What would the result prove?
Thats deep!

Cursory glance at the thread topics and I misread this as Trent Barrett doll. Which could be a marketing winner for the club, actually.
You could make one that sniffs and says yeah nah.

Cursory glance at the thread topics and I misread this as Trent Barrett doll. Which could be a marketing winner for the club, actually.
You could make one that sniffs and says yeah nah.
And squeeks air through his teeth when he's pretending to be mad. It would sell well though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4