Trial V Roosters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What a joke that decision was. since when have we started calling those players near the ruck on last tackle kicks. the pennies have built a 3-peat on that (and with more than just one player in there). You’d think they could at least ref these preseason games fairly.
Since this year mate

Now I remember why I never look at game day posts. Sorry I love you all for supporting Manly and the great game of Rugby League but honestly some of you post like twelve year olds, and some of you may well be, but jeez watch the game and put your phone down or have a think about the negativity, and plain ignorance you're spewing over a trial game. It's a long way to seasons end, and there will be at least three more games this year than last.

Roosters were off, and with some early ball and momentum, helped the inexperienced guys get a little confidence and get into the game and compete. Happy to at least see a reasonably competitive game considering the lob-sided nature of the teams playing.

I was a little disappointed with some of the upcoming guys we were excited about. The wingers and hookers had a pretty ordinary day. Rather, it was other lesser lights that showed up and had a great crack.

Two critical areas have me worried after watching that game.

1. Ruck control was atrocious (as it has been of recent history). I saw nothing today that suggests it has been addressed. When the roosters held the ball, they made easy meters up the middle and were consistently moving forward with easy momentum. They also targeted their runs behind the ruck and carved us up there. Watson’s try from dummy half examplified this issue.

2. Dealing with kicks in the air (whether bombs, kickoffs or drop outs; attacking or defending). I can only hope it was more an individual skill issue and that our first grade team does much better… though we have been poor in this area over recent history, so let’s see.

Last edited:
Now I remember why I never look at game day posts. Sorry I love you all for supporting Manly and the great game of Rugby League but honestly some of you post like twelve year olds, and some of you may well be, but jeez watch the game and put your phone down or have a think about the negativity, and plain ignorance you're spewing over a trial game. It's a long way to seasons end, and there will be at least three more games this year than last.
Agree , I’m avoiding game day threads this year , it’s one of the reasons I had six months away from the place.

Halves combo of Arthur and Wakeham nearly took out Keary and Walker. That alone has to be embarrassing for Trent Robinson. And that's a win in every way, shape, and form. Hope everyone who played today came away with some pride and confidence in their efforts for nearly doing the impossible. We were in the fight until 6 minutes to go, and we were one conversion from it being a one-point game. Against a team with a combined value of $8-9 million, and probably a few of Uncle Nick's yachts included in there too.

T
The ignore function’s good for blocking out the negativity 👍

I thought:

Paulo looked great
Hopoate looked great
Arthur was fantastic - I really want a spot for him in our team - as a 13 maybe?
Humphrey's was the most likely/dynamic at Hooker
Sipley looks as fit as I've seen him
Paseka was a machine

I also thought the Chooks looked terrible. Hopefully they struggle this year. Our rookies had a right dig, and gave it to them. I'm pretty happy with that performance, against a full strength team.

EDIT: And who is Cameron Brown and where did he come from? VERY much a pleasant surprise.

We fielded a second string team against the rooters today. I thought we played well to be in the game for an extended period of time. Very pleased.
You only needed to put DCE in that side and Manly win. Add another Trboievic and Manly win comfortably.

Apart from JWH and Lenu that's a full strength Roosters and they played with the same team all game considering Dom Young's injury didn't give Tedesco a break when Manu came on, or afford much of a reshuffle carrying only 21.

But they had to stick to that team because they weren't racing away by half time.

The competition for spots for Manly is unreal.

Obviously you are always going to have a better knowledge of the side you support but there's options there this year where last year an injury meant someone untested or out of position stepping in.

Trial error counts from this weekend for our dear friend @The Royal Soup

15 - Roosters
13 - Sharks
12 - Bulldogs
11 - Storm
11 - Knights
9 - Manly

Players aren't robots, there will always be the odd mistake....especially in an early trial.
it was more the blantant drops with no players around that was the issue i had, simply not catching when wide open

I thought:

Paulo looked great
Hopoate looked great
Arthur was fantastic
Humphrey's was the most likely/dynamic at Hooker
Sipley looks as fit as I've seen him
Paseka was a machine

I also thought the Chooks looked terrible. Hopefully they struggle this year.
Wakeham not in top 30 but he was great today.

Woods bashers can't help themselves (hi @BOZO) but he's not guaranteed a spot in first grade and may play the season out in reserves but he's tough enough, his defence is good, and he has plenty between the ears that all clubs need in experienced forwards.

Halves combo of Arthur and Wakeham nearly took out Keary and Walker. That alone has to be embarrassing for Trent Robinson. And that's a win in every way, shape, and form. Hope everyone who played today came away with some pride and confidence in their efforts for nearly doing the impossible. We were in the fight until 6 minutes to go, and we were one conversion from it being a one-point game. Against a team with a combined value of $8-9 million, and probably a few of Uncle Nick's yachts included in there too.
Taking nothing away from our boys who put in a resilient performance
As far as the Million dollar Roosters team goes .
Sometimes top teams become complacent against lesser opposition
Top teams lift when they face the challenge of top opposition

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8