Trial vs Broncos

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree on all that but I thought lehmann looked as good as our other second wing options too. Good hands except for one he probably shouldn't have gone for. Two tries.
Yeah fair enough although not sure he’ll trouble the existing options but maybe a nice backup.

Had the notion that Condon and Matterson may have been able to go up a notch or two but not on yesterday "s indication .
James looks like he could have some worthwhile go forward , thought that Navale showed a bit of promise . Really missed Sipley when he was off . Parker should come good as a backrower
Humphries showed his good versatility again , maybe in the slightly longer term , 7 may still be his go .
Still have some misgivings losing Latu Fainu , had pace and not bad defence , ideally Humphries [ and of course Brooks ] will be able to more then make amends.
Faulalo and both wingers went well , Brown probably no real previous centre experience and more comfortable on the wing and still looks a good mover .
Gordie should do better with a stronger pack and being such a scrappy game did not help his game . .
Wakeman a relatively quite game but still think not a bad individual player .
Must have been a quite ordinary Souths trial lineup a couple of weeks ago but a mainly combined Brisbane Wynnum Manly and South Logan line up does have some pretty fair players

Had the notion that Condon and Matterson may have been able to go up a notch or two but not on yesterday "s indication .
James looks like he could have some worthwhile go forward , thought that Navale showed a bit of promise . Really missed Sipley when he was off . Parker should come good as a backrower
Humphries showed his good versatility again , maybe in the slightly longer term , 7 may still be his go .
Still have some misgivings losing Latu Fainu , had pace and not bad defence , ideally Humphries [ and of course Brooks ] will be able to more then make amends.
Faulalo and both wingers went well , Brown probably no real previous centre experience and more comfortable on the wing and still looks a good mover .
Gordie should do better with a stronger pack and being such a scrappy game did not help his game . .
Wakeman a relatively quite game but still think not a bad individual player .
Must have been a quite ordinary Souths trial lineup a couple of weeks ago but a mainly combined Brisbane Wynnum Manly and South Logan line up does have some pretty fair players
That should have been Souths - Logan . Brisbane Souths were quite a competitive i st grade Brissy comp side back in the day and on a regular basis .

Just saw the game,scoreline is disappointing,but not all doom and gloom.
Hodgson had a good game,good under the high ball and good positionally,got involved and dangerous.
Faulalo was very good again,glad he is signed up for next year too.
Lehmann had a good game apart from one bomb.
Humphreys did very well at 6 early but was average after moving to 9,needs to do more than just pass the ball.
Thought the front row were all good,Sipley was strong,James went better than given credit for and Gordie was solid,dropped off after they were all subbed out.
Parker looked good so far in his move to the back row.
Bunting from Flegg showed some class and vision and a good kicking game.
Thought Uesele and particularly Navale did an excellent job off the bench.

I liked it when we were up 10-nil, but not so much after that. Just too many fundamental errors to compete, really.

And I know it's only a trial, and it's not our first-grade squad, but one thing that has killed us for years was evident out there tonight as well: our one-out forward hit-ups every set make us sitting ducks for the defence.

I'm not sure if it's because we are poorly coached, or because we don't have players at dummy half who are skilful enough to engage the markers, or because we don't have any decoy runners, or forwards who are smart enough to pass the ball on, or whether it's a combination of all those things. But watching a play-the-ball and knowing the dummy half is going to pass it to the only forward who is running all by himself on one side of the ruck, and that that forward is then going to be hammered, is really beginning to piss me off. We are no chance of gaining any momentum through the middle if that's all we're going to offer.
Your spot on our hookers must be told not to move at all other teams when they get the opportunity move like a wave with 2-3 players supporting the hooker or first receiver

Just saw the game,scoreline is disappointing,but not all doom and gloom.
Hodgson had a good game,good under the high ball and good positionally,got involved and dangerous.
Faulalo was very good again,glad he is signed up for next year too.
Lehmann had a good game apart from one bomb.
Humphreys did very well at 6 early but was average after moving to 9,needs to do more than just pass the ball.
Thought the front row were all good,Sipley was strong,James went better than given credit for and Gordie was solid,dropped off after they were all subbed out.
Parker looked good so far in his move to the back row.
Bunting from Flegg showed some class and vision and a good kicking game.
Thought Uesele and particularly Navale did an excellent job off the bench.Llike to see
Like to see Hodgson put into some space , keen and looks like sharp runner of the footy but limited opportunities in attack . Did seem safe under the high ball and in the conditions .
Butting definitely some neat touches , probably still eligible for Flegg
.Navale looked to have a bit more mobility then i was aware off , solid defender previously and club has probably made a good choice in signing him up for a few seasons or so

I think it's become exceedingly obvious that Gordie is a massive weakness defensively. His first contact is just not up to standard, and I've been hoping for several months that we would see some improvement. Very smart and quick with ball in hand, but Danny Levi 2.0 when tackling.

On the other hand, seeing the club throw Jamie at 6 to start, and his progress physically, goalkicking etc, implies he is the next 14 (after Lawton). Next year, I think Karl and Gordie won't be at Manly, and the foreseeable future is a Croker-Humphreys combo.

Humphreys, Sipley, Faulalo, Parker showed glimpses of quality yesterday

I think it's become exceedingly obvious that Gordie is a massive weakness defensively. His first contact is just not up to standard, and I've been hoping for several months that we would see some improvement. Very smart and quick with ball in hand, but Danny Levi 2.0 when tackling.

On the other hand, seeing the club throw Jamie at 6 to start, and his progress physically, goalkicking etc, implies he is the next 14 (after Lawton). Next year, I think Karl and Gordie won't be at Manly, and the foreseeable future is a Croker-Humphreys combo.

I’m glad someone else is seeing what I’m seeing. He looks to be easily overpowered even if he does stick. Some guys who are built low to the ground, use their centre of gravity to be quite stout defenders (Koroisau). Unfortunately, Gordon doesn’t seem to have this trait and is steamrolled frequently.

I also think his service/passing is terrible. He does this ‘pause’ as he collects the ball and the spirals are less than crisp. The young Broncos 9 was easily the best hooker in the game yesterday.

Missed the game, may watch a replay or mini today but how did Navale go?

For those bemoaning depth, relax, only 4-5 of these guys will be called upon at most.

Remember our first port of call on depth is already in Vegas!!

I wouldn't even stress on Blacktowns results on this game (why would you anyway) as half a dozen players could slot back into this side.
there it is !! the lone voice of reason amongst a sea of babies thrown out with the bath water .
Thank you Disco

I’m glad someone else is seeing what I’m seeing. He looks to be easily overpowered even if he does stick. Some guys who are built low to the ground, use their centre of gravity to be quite stout defenders (Koroisau). Unfortunately, Gordon doesn’t seem to have this trait and is steamrolled frequently.

I also think his service/passing is terrible. He does this ‘pause’ as he collects the ball and the spirals are less than crisp. The young Broncos 9 was easily the best hooker in the game yesterday.

Time will tell whether he can develop a "grown man's body" that can stand up to the rigours of defending in the middle in the NRL for extended minutes.

But at the moment as you say, he is way off from that.

Time will tell whether he can develop a "grown man's body" that can stand up to the rigours of defending in the middle in the NRL for extended minutes.

But at the moment as you say, he is way off from that.
Yeah and like I said earlier, his service is not great. Essentially, his strength is energy and some zip around the ruck. His defence and pass leaves a lot to be desired.

In regards to his service/passing,have a look again at our first two tries.
They were lasers,no pause at all,right to the front and in the hands of the halfback,enabling the ball to get to Humphreys like lightning.
Maybe the occasional pause is because a ball runner can't time their run?

In regards to his service/passing,have a look again at our first two tries.
They were lasers,no pause at all,right to the front and in the hands of the halfback,enabling the ball to get to Humphreys like lightning.
Maybe the occasional pause is because a ball runner can't time their run?
It’s a style thing that he has going on. He passes off the ground, where he will reach down, pause in that crouched position and then kinda flick the ball up to his runners. It’s old school. I don’t rate his service at all. But that’s just me.

The Glimpses of quality Perspective

First of all what standard was the quality of our opposition ?
How many line breaks against that quality opposition did Parker make ? NIL
How many barnstorming quality backrow carries did Parker make against that quality opposition ? NIL
Parker did run a very good line untouched to score and tackled well against that quality opposition
As for Humphreys , Sipley and Faulalo as you say they did show glimpses against that quality of opposition .

The last question that puts this quality glimpse in Perspective is
What quality of opposition was the broncos ? It was NOT NRL quality .

We have a Big Game in the Big U....S of A coming up Against NRL Rep quality
This is the Benchmark of Quality Play
1708900717203.png

Soon as Sipley went off and got a few bad calls, the Manly team fell apart.
Humphrey and centre Faulolo the standouts in a disappointing performance after a promising start.
Fortunately not too many of these blokes will see 1st grade.
Only a trial so not too concerned, but the officials already look like they have a few dollars on Broncos in 2024, forward passes and basically every call......but not an excuse, as Manly needed more resilience and showed nothing whenever the screws were turned by a hungrier young Broncos side....that Massive young Brisbane front rower looks a handful and is sure to have a huge career ahead of him dominting the middle at a young age.

Humphrey and centre Faulolo the standouts in a disappointing performance after a promising start.
Only a trial so not too concerned, but the officials already look like they have a few dollars on Broncos in 2024, forward passes and basically every call......but not an excuse, as Manly needed more resilience and showed nothing whenever the screws were turned by a hungrier young Broncos side....that Massive young Brisbane front rower looks a handful and is sure to have a huge career ahead of him dominting the middle at a young age.
Good summery feathered friend @maxta
They Key word to your post is resilience and Game setbacks and adversaries are never overcome by Excuses but only by Resilience
As you say it is only a Trial and our Test of NRL Character and Trial and Tribulations start on 2nd March against a very Pumped up South Sydney team that grossly underachieved last season

Yep Maxta, it's like a production line that never ends for the Broncs, good raw boned youngsters all waiting for their chance to impress in first grade. The team they had out there was the best out of 3 feeder teams we shouldn't be to hard on ourselves.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8