Trivia Time - Easy question

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Firstly, well done @manly al for getting the players.

Well I know Bozo kicked the most, and DCE's kicked 20, so I would say the order is:
Bozo, Ward, DCE, Batty and Ridgie

You got it!

Fulton, Ward & Batty got most of their field goals when points values were 2 for a field goal and 3 for a try. DCE is arguably evidence of the impact of the golden point rule. Ridge got a few in close games, but most of them just seem to have as he liked it! (61-0 for example!).

57 - Bob Fulton
30 - Dennis Ward
20 - DCE
18 - Bob Batty
11 - Matthew Ridge
9 - Matt Orford
8 - Phil Blake
7 - Rick Chisholm
7 - Michael Monaghan
6 - Cliff Lyons

Who is the only player to score a try & goal & field goal in a Grand Final ? No cheating don’t Google.

Looking at the stats since mid 1970s there seem to be only a few who like Wombat scored by all three methods in one game - a try, goal & field goal.

Matt Orford did it twice in 2006. Matthew Ridge also did it twice, including the 61-0 win over Dragoons (1 try, 10 goals & 1 field goal).

Some obvious goal kickers who never got the trifecta of try/goal/field goal at least once were Snoz, T Melrose, Dorahy, Jamie Lyon & DCE, as well as Max Krilich, Mal Cochrane, Mike Eden and Steve Hegarty. Nor did Shannon Nevin, Craig Field, Michael Witt or Ben Walker.

I was amazed to see there are two other Manly players since mid 1970s who in a match got TWO tries, plus a field goal and at least five goals! One was in the 1980s and the other in the 1990s. Anyone want to have a guess?

Last edited:
I was amazed to see there are two other Manly players since mid 1970s who in a match got TWO tries, plus a field goal and at least five goals! One was in the 1980s and the other in the 1990s. Anyone want to have a guess?
No but if anyone can enlighten me as to the circumstances of the 2 highlighted below - I'll be grateful!
These are of the players who kicked a field goal for Manly:
BATTY, Allan / BATTY, Bob / BLAKE Phil/ CHERRY-EVANS, Daly / CHISHOLM Rick / DAY, Ken / DORAHY, John / EADIE, Graham / FERRIS, Jason / FIELD, Craig / FULTON, Robert / GIBBS, John / HEGARTY, Steve / HODKINSON, Trent / JONES, Fred / KRILICH, Max / LITTLEJOHN, Jack / LYONS Cliff / McDONALD, John / MARTIN, Steve / MAYES, Johnny / MELROSE, Tony / MONOGHAN Michael / O'CONNOR, Michael / ORFORD Matt / PHILLIPS, Luke / PIERCE, Daryl / RANDALL, Terry / RIDGE, Matthew / SHEARER, Dale / STANTON, Frank / THOMPSON, Alan / VAUTIN, Paul / VEIVERS, Mick / WARD, Dennis / WILLIAMS, Graham

No but if anyone can enlighten me as to the circumstances of the 2 highlighted below - I'll be grateful!

Paul Vautin got 2 field goals in the space of 4 weeks in 1985.

The first was on Aug 4 at Brookie in a 17-2 win over Canberra.

The next was in the mid-week play off for 5th place that Manly lost 10-7 in extra time. The stats sites don't record when points were scored. I think Fatty's field goal put Manly in front 7-6 in extra time but the Panthers then got a late try or maybe it was two penalty goals from Brandy. So long ago!

Fatty also got 2 place kick goals in 1988 in the Rd4 win over Newcastle 44-12.

Got nothing on the Mick Veivers field goal which was in the 1960s.
Custom Match List - Rugby League Project

For a big man, Veivers was quick on his feet, as well as being noted for his ability to offload the ball under pressure. And on one occasion, he won a match for Manly with a 50-metre field goal.

Seems it was in a 23-21 loss to Souths at Brookie in 1967.

You got it!

Fulton, Ward & Batty got most of their field goals when points values were 2 for a field goal and 3 for a try. DCE is arguably evidence of the impact of the golden point rule. Ridge got a few in close games, but most of them just seem to have as he liked it! (61-0 for example!).

57 - Bob Fulton
30 - Dennis Ward
20 - DCE
18 - Bob Batty
11 - Matthew Ridge
9 - Matt Orford
8 - Phil Blake
7 - Rick Chisholm
7 - Michael Monaghan
6 - Cliff Lyons

I think DCE will take it.
But I'm wrong a lot...

Looking at the stats since mid 1970s there seem to be only a few who like Wombat scored by all three methods in one game - a try, goal & field goal.

Matt Orford did it twice in 2006. Matthew Ridge also did it twice, including the 61-0 win over Dragoons (1 try, 10 goals & 1 field goal).

Some obvious goal kickers who never got the trifecta of try/goal/field goal at least once were Snoz, T Melrose, Dorahy, Jamie Lyon & DCE, as well as Max Krilich, Mal Cochrane, Mike Eden and Steve Hegarty. Nor did Shannon Nevin, Craig Field, Michael Witt or Ben Walker.

Just to maybe complete this [ your ] recent Quiz [ trivia ] How about Rick Chisholm for the 80 "s and Luke Philips for the 90 "s . [ Can never overlook the mercurial Phil Blake "s exploits but i will stick with Chisholm for the 80 "s ]

I'll concur with @manly al with Chisholm for the 80s but I'll say snoz O'Connor for the 90s...

Just to maybe complete this [ your ] recent Quiz [ trivia ] How about Rick Chisholm for the 80 "s and Luke Philips for the 90 "s . [ Can never overlook the mercurial Phil Blake "s exploits but i will stick with Chisholm for the 80 "s ]

WINNER!!!!

Rick Chisholm in 1980 vs Sharks at Brookie. Got 2 tries, field goal & 5 goals in Manly's 17-14 win. Rick got all 17 points.

Luke Phillips in 1998 played 5/8th vs Magpies at Campbelltown. It was like he released his inner Cliffy the way he played that day. Manly won 45-30. Luke got two tries, field goal & six goals. Lyons was on the bench.

Phil Blake never kicked a goal for Manly. He got 8 field goals. Pretty amazing that Blake got the field goal and try double on six times! And on two of those occasions he actually got 2 tries and a field goal. What a freak of a footballer he was.

One rule that never gets used anymore is that you are allowed to kick a penalty goal via a drop kick. The last one must have been a long long time ago. DCE should give it a go! Its odd you never see it anymore cause some players like Jamie Soward were better drop kickers (with opposition running at them) than place kickers (with no one running at them). I guess no one reads the rule book.

Last edited:
WINNER!!!!

Rick Chisholm in 1980 vs Sharks at Brookie. Got 2 tries, field goal & 5 goals in Manly's 17-14 win. Rick got all 17 points.

Luke Phillips in 1998 played 5/8th vs Magpies at Campbelltown. It was like he released his inner Cliffy the way he played that day. Manly won 45-30. Luke got two tries, field goal & six goals. Lyons was on the bench.

Phil Blake never kicked a goal for Manly. He got 8 field goals. Pretty amazing that Blake got the field goal and try double on six times! And on two of those occasions he actually got 2 tries and a field goal. What a freak of a footballer he was.
Real shame that Luke Philips was let go to the Roosters [ did have a few injury issues but certainly came real good after that and again unfortunately not at Manly ] Good full back at Easts but also did really well as a 6 at times at Manly [ apart from wing and full back . ] Recall that he was a ref at N R L level a few seasons ago , obviously then gave it away [ originally a Raider then Cowboy and would have been really good if he had played some more good footy with Manly .

Paul Vautin got 2 field goals in the space of 4 weeks in 1985.

The first was on Aug 4 at Brookie in a 17-2 win over Canberra.

The next was in the mid-week play off for 5th place that Manly lost 10-7 in extra time. The stats sites don't record when points were scored. I think Fatty's field goal put Manly in front 7-6 in extra time but the Panthers then got a late try or maybe it was two penalty goals from Brandy. So long ago!

Fatty also got 2 place kick goals in 1988 in the Rd4 win over Newcastle 44-12.

Got nothing on the Mick Veivers field goal which was in the 1960s.
Custom Match List - Rugby League Project
Its amazing how many strings Fatty has in his bow :cool:

Its amazing how many strings Fatty has in his bow :cool:
How about the time he took that impressive [ maybe fluke] running catch in that cricket exhibition game quite some time ago .. Probably surprised himself as much as everyone else that saw it . Had some real natural talent but had a good dedicated work ethic as well .

How about the time he took that impressive [ maybe fluke] running catch in that cricket exhibition game quite some time ago .. Probably surprised himself as much as everyone else that saw it . Had some real natural talent but had a good dedicated work ethic as well .

I swear I always picture him doing that with a beer in the other hand.

Real shame that Luke Philips was let go to the Roosters [ did have a few injury issues but certainly came real good after that and again unfortunately not at Manly ] Good full back at Easts but also did really well as a 6 at times at Manly [ apart from wing and full back . ] Recall that he was a ref at N R L level a few seasons ago , obviously then gave it away [ originally a Raider then Cowboy and would have been really good if he had played some more good footy with Manly .

TBH at the time considering we needed a fullback with first Ridge leaving, then Nevin, I'm surprised we didn't go after Tim Brasher who was having issues getting what he wanted out of Balmain and actually ended up leaving there to go to Souffs. Nothing against Luke Phillips, he was OK, but as a fullback he wasn't in Brasher's class.

On Facebook about 3-4 years back, Phillips said that a lot of the reason he gave up being a referee was because of how the whole show was run. As a former player he just couldn't cop the week to week and sometimes mid-round focus changes usually because something happened that the media picked up on and made a big deal about. And sometimes that even led to mid-round rule changes (nothing has changed there has it.....).

He said that the whole thing was a joke. He was right.

Last edited:
Oh Phil Blake. What a Manly god of attacking brilliance. We shall never see his like again.

He was magic in attack. My favourite try was against Parramatta when he kicked ahead and split through three Parra players to score one of his long range tries. The only other half with such outstanding flair, though not quite to that standard, was John Gibbs, who scored some remarkable tries in a career regretably too short because of injury.

You got it!

57 - Bob Fulton
30 - Dennis Ward
20 - DCE
18 - Bob Batty
11 - Matthew Ridge
9 - Matt Orford
8 - Phil Blake
7 - Rick Chisholm
7 - Michael Monaghan
6 - Cliff Lyons

In those early years Manly had some very under rated players. Dennis Ward was outstanding at half but rarely got the recognition

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11