Turbo should go have a chat to Jamie Lyon about priorities

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should Turbo sit out origin to focus on his club career?

• Total voters
Off your head.
The bloke puts in 100% every game for Manly. Greatest number 7 in the clubs history.
DCE is a very dedicated & professional player, but is he as passionate about Manly as are Turbo & Jake who are local juniors? In last week's Origin I noticed that he was extremely upset when he dropped the ball. I can't remember seeing him so upset when he makes a mistake playing for Manly. I honestly wonder if he cares more about QLD than Manly. In terms of skill sets, DCE is possibly our best ever halfback, but in terms of passion for the club, I don't think he matches Captain Courageous Geoff Toovey.

DCE is a very dedicated & professional player, but is he as passionate about Manly as are Turbo & Jake who are local juniors? In last week's Origin I noticed that he was extremely upset when he dropped the ball. I can't remember seeing him so upset when he makes a mistake playing for Manly. I honestly wonder if he cares more about QLD than Manly. In terms of skill sets, DCE is possibly our best ever halfback, but in terms of passion for the club, I don't think he matches Captain Courageous Geoff Toovey.
All Queenslanders, no matter what club they play for, value the QLD jersey more than the club. It’s why QLD win more.

It’s also why I sometimes I cheer for the Manly players in a QLD team, even though I’m a proud Blue.

NSW is so tribal, it’s puts it clubs before state.

How many people, even here on Silvertails don’t care about SOO and only Manly??

Last edited:
All Queenslanders no matter what club they play for value the QLD jersey more than the club. It’s why QLD win more.

It’s also why I sometimes I cheer for the Manly players in a QLD team that Ben though I’m a proud Blue.

NSW is so tribal that it’s puts it clubs before state. How many people even on Silvertaikd don’t care about SOO and only Manly??
Origin pops up for three games a year and is manufactured tribalism for an audience that largely ignore rugby league for the rest of the year; it’s our Melbourne Cup. The NRL is the real deal. Been played for over 100 years. It’s half a year of blood, sweat and tears. I hope we all care more about Manly than SOO.

Origin pops up for three games a year and is manufactured tribalism for an audience that largely ignore rugby league for the rest of the year; it’s our Melbourne Cup. The NRL is the real deal. Been played for over 100 years. It’s half a year of blood, sweat and tears. I hope we all care more about Manly than SOO.
Agreed.

I never get the origin hype. I couldn’t care less which state you’re from. We are all Australian.

I just hope the Manly players do well and not get injured/suspended.

I always go for the team with less d***heads. So this year it’s QLD. I hate Squid James with a passion. Racist prick.

100% agree. Couldn’t give a rats about origin and only cheer for manly players playing well and not getting injured.

All Queenslanders, no matter what club they play for, value the QLD jersey more than the club. It’s why QLD win more.
This affirms my earlier post - that DCE is less passionate about Manly than Turbo & Jake.

QLD players tend to have more passion for their club team if it is based in QLD, esp. the Broncos.

Amongst Queenslanders, Paul Vautin is probably the most passionate Manly man.

It’s also why I sometimes I cheer for the Manly players in a QLD team, even though I’m a proud Blue.

NSW is so tribal, it’s puts it clubs before state.

How many people, even here on Silvertails don’t care about SOO and only Manly??
I expect these days most people in both states have forgotten that Origin only became a hit because of the history of NSW using Qld players from the Sydney comp, such as Beetson, to thrash Qld every year.

The 'irony' of Qld-produced champs thrashing their own state annually for some reason failed to amuse the Queenslanders. So Origin became a chance to set the story right. Their perceived grievance and determination to redress the wrongs is the historical reason for Queenslanders valuing Origin more than the Blues, which was how it was for the first few encounters.

The Blues fairly soon cottoned on to the fact the game was for real and so did the TV producers.

The fact Qld continue to play they way they do, even after righting the ledger with that ridiculous winning streak, I put down to the fact the original injustice has morphed and current generations have been taught to believe in some primeval necessity to defeat NSW each year. Out of some sort of lingering inferiority complex i guess!

I don't care at all about the states but the games are high standard so I watch them. I'd prefer just one game per year, but it's such a cash cow for the league and TV that we're stuck with it for now.

The fact Qld continue to play they way they do, even after righting the ledger with that ridiculous winning streak, I put down to the fact the original injustice has morphed and current generations have been taught to believe in some primeval necessity to defeat NSW each year. Out of some sort of lingering inferiority complex i guess!
Somewhat similar to the deep rooted contempt many Indians still hold for the Brits, their former colonial masters.

A lot said about loyalty and as I've always maintained loyalty is a two way issue and relates to what both parties get out of it. Jamie Lyons was hardly loyal to Parramatta when he left early in the season 2004, breaking contract. One party felt it wasn't getting what it wanted. Don't blame Lyons for his decision but he later dropped out of SOO late in his career. Didn't do so early on.

A lot of this issue about Turbo is brought about by the fact that he's played only 50% of Manly matches in the past 4 years. Few are complaining too much about DCE choosing to play SOO. Comes down to injuries. Turbo isn't responsible for his injuries (other than that silly race in Manly). But somehow he's being blamed for not playing enough games for Manly and therefore why is he playing SOO. Sorry but I cant see the argument. He's a high profile player like DCE, like any other who plays SOO. Most players strive to achieve those heights. Only a few reach them. But do we deny such opportunities because of bad luck through injuries. Its a gamble with every player. Some are like Menzies and DCE who seem graced with good fortune that they are rarely injured. Some are not. But do we discriminate on that basis for something out of their control.

Personally I think we should be cheering for the players who entertain us so well with their skill, not hiding them in a box because we're fearful they might get hurt.

I trust Tom can make this decision for himself. Both he and his brothers bleed maroon and white. They are great young men and I am so glad that they play for our club.

This affirms my earlier post - that DCE is less passionate about Manly than Turbo & Jake.

QLD players tend to have more passion for their club team if it is based in QLD, esp. the Broncos.

Amongst Queenslanders, Paul Vautin is probably the most passionate Manly man.
I don't know if I entirely agree with you.
I think Les Boyd would say NSW have as much passion, just ask Brohman.

Hey, Mr reasonable ... would love to see your evidence supporting this comment ...

Good point. Evidence is essential. I guess it comes down therefore to probabilities and likely motives. Would a footballer intentionally injure him or herself. Not saying it doesn't happen but generally I doubt that a footballer would want to be out of the game they love intentionally, The Trbojevics seem an honourable family (that also from my foster sister's family who know them). So yes evidence is unavailable in this case so best we can rely on is probability and motive, and I would suggest the probability is low that he would intentionally do such a thing and the motive to self inflict injury doesn't seem consistent with the type of person we seem to be talking about.

As for' Mr Reasonable' you've also got a good point. I tend and try my best to operate on reason rather than emotion. That means trying to take a balanced point of view. Sometimes I fail but I was trained to always examine evidence and motive, not operate on personal conjecture.

Good point. Evidence is essential. I guess it comes down therefore to probabilities and likely motives. Would a footballer intentionally injure him or herself. Not saying it doesn't happen but generally I doubt that a footballer would want to be out of the game they love intentionally, The Trbojevics seem an honourable family (that also from my foster sister's family who know them). So yes evidence is unavailable in this case so best we can rely on is probability and motive, and I would suggest the probability is low that he would intentionally do such a thing and the motive to self inflict injury doesn't seem consistent with the type of person we seem to be talking about.

As for' Mr Reasonable' you've also got a good point. I tend and try my best to operate on reason rather than emotion. That means trying to take a balanced point of view. Sometimes I fail but I was trained to always examine evidence and motive, not operate on personal conjecture.

Was all the above to say you were wrong to accuse Tom of deliberately lying to the club and fans?
and what is the following statement if not your personal conjecture?

Turbo isn't responsible for his injuries (other than that silly race in Manly

as far as available evidence is concerned ... I believe the lack of it to be more compelling ... I watched the race recording 50 times trying to see the slightest pulling up by Tom .. but nothing ... and of all the people laughing and watching ... not one came forward, or posted on social media that they saw Tom pull up, grab the back of his leg, walk of limping ... again nothing ...

So, without evidence I'm not prepared to call Tom a liar ... he said he slipped in the bathroom ... good enough for me ...

Was all the above to say you were wrong to accuse Tom of deliberately lying to the club and fans?
and what is the following statement if not your personal conjecture?

as far as available evidence is concerned ... I believe the lack of it to be more compelling ... I watched the race recording 50 times trying to see the slightest pulling up by Tom .. but nothing ... and of all the people laughing and watching ... not one came forward, or posted on social media that they saw Tom pull up, grab the back of his leg, walk of limping ... again nothing ...

So, without evidence I'm not prepared to call Tom a liar ... he said he slipped in the bathroom ... good enough for me ...

Ah Woodsie. You're at it again. Stirring the pot. You seem to love that game playing Mr Contrary. Yes lots of fun but I'm too old and crotchety to join in the play. You'll have to find another play mate.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4