Turbos D looks down on past?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Does anyone think Tommy's final line D looks a little frail this year? He seems to be in the right places as always but that final contact just looks a bit off.
Don't get me wrong he's still one of the best at being in the right place at the right time and looks under control its just that personal last moment stuff that looks a bit off? since he filled out in 2018/19 he has smashed guys in that last line of D so often.
the panthers forward Garner stepped him pretty easily the other night. The teenage kid Blaze from Parra smashed over him a few weeks back and there have been a few arm grabs etc.

Does anyone think Tommy's final line D looks a little frail this year? He seems to be in the right places as always but that final contact just looks a bit off.
Don't get me wrong he's still one of the best at being in the right place at the right time and looks under control its just that personal last moment stuff that looks a bit off? since he filled out in 2018/19 he has smashed guys in that last line of D so often.
the panthers forward Garner stepped him pretty easily the other night. The teenage kid Blaze from Parra smashed over him a few weeks back and there have been a few arm grabs etc.
Absolutely. I had the same impression, EOL. I remember when Turbo first came into grade he understandably struggled a bit on the D side. He was at the start of his learning trajectory for positioning, his body was still lanky, and he was struggling with balls along the ground. His growth in these areas over the years has been obvious and a pleasure to watch. As you mentioned, he would often smash guys as the last line after his body really filled out.

As exciting as Turbo is when attacking, it's having the D side to his game that makes him a complete and outstanding player... Yes, that all said, there have been a few disappointing moments this season, including the two you mention. There was also that "effort" on the Sloane try in the Steelers game, where he wasn't quite where he needed to be, and seemed to give up a bit too easily.

Anyway, I hope he finds his confidence and hits top gear again soon. He is a joy to watch when he's at his best (at both sides of the game)... an I hope he has that Blaze try etched into his memory bank, with a small note of determination to smash the next guy who even thinks of running over the top of him.

I'm ok if Tom lets a few slide by him.
Better choice than what Teddy did the other night.
And how many Manly-playing months have Snake and Tom lost from throwing an arm out trying to stop an inevitable try.
Just not worth the 6 points.
I think Tommy is big enough not to do a teddy. hopefully. He was a fearsome defender for a number of years. he is 110% on his effort to be in the right positions generally just the contact is a bit off.

I'm not too concerned at this point. To be fair, any FB would have had trouble stopping the Parra kid so close to the line. He's a solid kid and was at pace. He tried the ball and all tackle but just couldn't hold him up. And Garner had a lot of room and yep, did wrong foot him but he's a good mover. Remember when he had that runaway try at Brookie and Turbo had him ... and then he didn't? Interesting to keep an eye on though.

Thought this again after today's game, didn't even get close to attempting a tackle on SJ!

Old mate Triton is looking down here:
IMG_9584.jpeg

And so is this bloke, who also looks a little down:
IMG_9583.jpeg

You could see he was in two minds about taking Johnson or the outside support and ended up taking no one. It’s still not great defence because you have to take the ball runner, no matter what, in that situation (the person with the ball is the most dangerous).

However, he certainly wasn’t beaten ‘all ends up’ by a player he was intent on tackling. On first glance it appears he was, but the close up replay showed him standing between Johnson and the support, with his eyes actually on the support runner. Then, at the last micro second, he sees the dummy and goes to move but it’s too late.

I actually think Brooks defence was worse for that try. He came up out of the line and left the space and his turn and chase was lethargic.

Said it in another thread, but he does look a little off his game at the moment. With the exception of the Dragons game, where he was close to the worst player on the field, he hasn't been bad and he has done some very good things, but he hasn't been a dominant force either.

It's probably expecting too much for him to don the Superman cape again, but that's three weeks in a row where he has not been the best fullback on the field - and one of those games he was up against Tyrell Sloan.

I wasnt one bit worried about SJ stepping him, not a player in the NRL would of got a hand on him.

I was more concerned about his general positional play in defence.

Its about time coach told in not to touch the ball on the 4th tackle, even if just for a few weeks. I think this is a carry over from when DCE was our only decent kicking optioon, Tom would hit up on the 4th so DCE didnt get into decent position to kick on 5. At least get someone else to take on this role.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8