UEFA Champions League Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
agree - he did manage to stay on his feet for about 15 seconds during it.....

meh, i have faith in SAF... he may not win the CL or PL but he is certainly making it his priority given the team he sent on today... Coudn't believe berbatov missed and that penalty wasn;t awarded.

Agree re the penalties

All I will say about SAF is it is a touch hypocritical to have a go at Rafa for not respecting the opposition when he sends out a weakened team (understand why he did it but still.......)

At least you are after trophies...we are hanging onto 7th hoping to make it into the revamped UEFA cup!

This morning it was the first leg of the semifinal between Barcelona and Chelsea in Spain.  Barca went in with a 3-3-4 setup and Chelsea went with a 1-2-3-4 and was there to spoil. Barca showed enterprise and controlled all the play, but pussy-footed around the box and really only threatened the goal on a couple of occasions. It was 0-0 at half time and Barca had held 70% of the possession and had 10 shots to Chelsea’s 3, but if they could have blazed away more quickly they might have had a result and doubled that number.

The second half opened with the first 10 minutes looking like a triage theatre, players going down every minute. Chelsea continued to spoil and got some good breaks but it was all the home team as they added another 10 shots to Chelsea’s 1. Despite some very tough challenges it was another example of continental footie at its worst with more dives than a weekend spent with Matthew Mitcham. Added time was over 5 minutes but easily could have been nearer 15 as there were that many stoppages. Barca finished with 65% possession but the final score was 0-0 and Chelsea sitting in the box seat for the return leg. Hopefully the game between Man Utd and the Gunners at Old Trafford will offer a bit more excitement tomorrow.

MB personally, if you are barc supporter i wouldn't be too worried, a goal scoring draw or better means they go through.

The game was ****e, absolutely no other word - this is what Chelsea wanted, however as a fan of football i am disappointed with the game and i know many a person who feel the same way. We were excited to see henry, messi and eto play against anelka, drogba and lampard, to see some expansive back and forth footbal. I thought chelsea should have at least tried to get the away goal, even if they lose 2-1, it makes a 1-0 victory at home very inviting. But i guess it does with a 0-0 draw aswell.

No chelsea fan should ever complain about another team for diving.

Man Utd and Arsenal tomorrow YAH!

A question for you all

The lads on SBS were talking this morning about the value of an away goal and how this works against the home team i.e. Teams are so scared of conceding at home the games are often negative

What do you think? I tend to agree. It makes the second leg more exciting...and could play into Barca's hands (Chelsea need to play more open than they did...)

Messi was incredibly disappointing but his weaving magic was there. You are both right, I don't know why Chelsea or the away teams don't push more for that away goal. Not scoring certainly puts the pressure back on Chelsea at home. A 1-1 will see Chelski goneski.

The battle was on at Old Trafford this morning and Fergie’s fighters came out firing from the starting whistle. Almunia made many great saves but United were rewarded with a goal to O’Shea on 17m. This was a different game to yesterday and it was free-flowing from one end of the field to the other. At half time it was 9 shots to only 2 from Arsenal and they were guilty of playing way too many deft touches that were easily cleaned up by the home town back 4.

The second half was almost identical but the Gunners had better control and pushed forward but it was obvious they missed the finishes of Arshavin and Van Persie who were not there. But it was United who found spaces regularly and deserved a better full-time finish of 1-0. MOTM was easily Rooney who played the left then right flanks and had almost the perfect game.

I woke up at 15mins in. so the goal made me fully awake real quick.

Ferdinands injury could mean the difference at highbury, and where you normally don't put the hopes down to one player Man Utds Defense without Ferdinand is like Manlys Attack without brett stewart. Infact i would be willing to add vidic aswell. Man Utd needs both CB's in the team.

Rooney MOTM? yeah he was good, chasing back in defense and such, but he had a pretty poor night in attack. He usual pinpoint crosses or passes just weren't there. He certainly made up for that in enthusiasm, which is why i have alwyas said if you had a choice between ronaldo and rooney you pick Rooney always.

Once again i thought the LB and RB of man utd were on work overload. Constantly O'Shea and Evra were pushing forward and yet when Arsenal Broke ferdinand and vidic would always have those two close by by the time the ball got back down the other end.

My MOTM, hard to say, I really did like the way caddick played, but he does that as standard in any game. He somehows create time for himself and it reflects in his passing to the attacking players. For mine, O'Shea, because of the offence, the defense (often having to mark two players, ****ing Ronaldo) and the goal.

Was just thinking man utd played a

4-2-1-2-1 . Incredible.

Also in addition to above i thought fletcher would have been close to MOTM.

Zep link said:
Rooney MOTM? yeah he was good, chasing back in defense and such, but he had a pretty poor night in attack. He usual pinpoint crosses or passes just weren't there.
His passes were perfect. You are just wrong :p

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Zep link=topic=180047.msg221007#msg221007 date=1241061741]
Rooney MOTM? yeah he was good, chasing back in defense and such, but he had a pretty poor night in attack. He usual pinpoint crosses or passes just weren't there.
His passes were perfect. You are just wrong :p
[/quote]

No i am not, He crosses were crap, he stalled the attack twice atleast from memory with passes that went behind the man. He did do some good work, but for mine it was all about Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson in the mid to mid defensive mid field.

I thought the arse keeper had to be man of the match......or Silvestre was MOM for Manu....

All the excitement was at Emirates Stadium this morning. Unfortunately the game was all over within 11 minutes with AC United taking 2 away goals, meaning the Gunners needed 4. From then on it was straight to the FF button for me. Final Score was 1-3 and the Red Army heads to Rome.

Manchester United 3 - Arsenal 1

Park 8'
Ronaldo 11, 61

Van Persie 76(P).

Was a good first half from United. Absolutley controlled the game, were good in defense and created chances in Attack. 1st goal was lucky for Man Utd as Gibbs slipped in the penalty area allowing Park to get the ball, put it on to his right and strike home from 5 metres out and 5 metres wide.

Second goal was all class from Ronaldo, after winning the penalty from a clumsy Van Persie tackle, Ronaldo fooled the keeper and struck a thunderbolt from 35 metres. It was an angle that the keeper should have had cover but he was caught off guard.

From then on long periods of the game were controlled by Arsenal but they lacked the ability to create space and were struggling to catch Man Utd on the counter attack. Utd on the other hand found space readily with Ronaldo and Park continuing to find spaces and chances on goal.

The second half started in a bit of a messy play with the gunners trying hard to get back in the contest. This proved to be in vain as United countered from deep within there own half, 3 esquisite passes and a solid strike was all that was needed. A back heel flick from Ronaldo on the left, broke Park into space, Park then found Rooney (who out paced the defender) out wide on the right, who played two touches and then pushed the ball infront of the goal for Ronaldo to side foot into the back of the net.

The only pain that United will receive out of this game is the fletchers red card and the subsequent penalty goal. Fletcher deserves to be in the final.

Not a soccer fan at all really, but follow the results

1 thing I don't understand with this comp, is why they go through the whole home and away format, and then play a 1 off final. any reasoning behind that other than having a result on the day ?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6