Unsigned 2014 props available

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
jbb/james said:
I honestly think the prop role has changed and so has the thinking of the clubs regarding them. 10 or 15 years ago a top tier prop on big coin was essential. Now not so. With stats and coaches getting players to buy into the game plan much more a group of props that makes many good runs and tackles in short spurts can just as effective. As long as they dont drop the ball

Even still I worry if we lose the experienced ones to injury as mentioned above

Don't agree sorry, a good hard running tough prop, who can break the defensive line and offload as well, is weight in gold to have. I wouldn't mind the Burgess Boys here, they tick all the categories for the Modern Prop. Big, fast, mongrel, break the defense and score tries.

If the key is toughness, and it is, it doesn't stop with front rowers. I was talking to Jason Hetherington the other day on this subject. He reckons Bullfrog Moore had the idea years ago at the dogs. Moore wanted forwards from country Qld (and I'd add country NSW too) to come to Canterbury because they are naturally tougher players. They don't go into their shell and sook when they've been belted or things are going against them. Moore said that once you get them to Sydney and teach them how to play footy properly (?) you have a champion.

I naturally got the conversation straight back to the Eagles (LOL) and Hetherington then nominated Jamie Lyon as a perfect example. I took it further and asked him to imagine our line up, and keep in mind we have country and city players, and pick out the guy he thinks isn't physically and mentally tough. He said that that's the true success of the Manly club. There is no real weakness and when you add the individual brilliance of DCE, Lyon etc etc, you have the perfect balance. Tough, smart, bonded.

He then started to tell me about the Bulldogs and I told him I was way too busy to stand around chatting and left. LOL!

mozgrame said:
If the key is toughness, and it is, it doesn't stop with front rowers. I was talking to Jason Hetherington the other day on this subject. He reckons Bullfrog Moore had the idea years ago at the dogs. Moore wanted forwards from country Qld (and I'd add country NSW too) to come to Canterbury because they are naturally tougher players. They don't go into their shell and sook when they've been belted or things are going against them. Moore said that once you get them to Sydney and teach them how to play footy properly (?) you have a champion.

I naturally got the conversation straight back to the Eagles (LOL) and Hetherington then nominated Jamie Lyon as a perfect example. I took it further and asked him to imagine our line up, and keep in mind we have country and city players, and pick out the guy he thinks isn't physically and mentally tough. He said that that's the true success of the Manly club. There is no real weakness and when you add the individual brilliance of DCE, Lyon etc etc, you have the perfect balance. Tough, smart, bonded.

He then started to tell me about the Bulldogs and I told him I was way too busy to stand around chatting and left. LOL!
I agree with what your saying, especially with the country guys, they practice their tackling and stepping chasing pigs and chickens ( true ). Lol

Eagle Rock said:
mozgrame said:

I agree with what your saying, especially with the country guys, they practice their tackling and stepping chasing pigs and chickens ( true ). Lol
Yes that's part of the job. Throwing and strapping mickey bulls and fencing etc tends to build your core strength too. Then for fun in your down time, you chase and catch 100kg pigs through the bush with the dogs.

You'll never know what your true strength and reflexes are until you try to flip a big boar pig and tie him, even with the dogs help, it's not easy. I've seen 40kg dogs flung like frisbies by big boars. Haha! It's great fun and gets the heart really pumping! Makes tackling JWH front on seem rather dull. :)

mozgrame said:

ba hahahaha. gold!

I actually lol'ed at this!

8 thumbs up (if yer a qlder)

Eagle Rock said:
jbb/james said:
I honestly think the prop role has changed and so has the thinking of the clubs regarding them. 10 or 15 years ago a top tier prop on big coin was essential. Now not so. With stats and coaches getting players to buy into the game plan much more a group of props that makes many good runs and tackles in short spurts can just as effective. As long as they dont drop the ball

Don't agree sorry, a good hard running tough prop, who can break the defensive line and offload as well, is weight in gold to have. I wouldn't mind the Burgess Boys here, they tick all the categories for the Modern Prop. Big, fast, mongrel, break the defense and score tries.

I didnt really say they dont get good hard running props. Its just they dont spend big coin on them anymore.Maybe Matt scott but not many more. Apart from Sam I cant imagine the burgess boys getting top money. Richie was hard running, with good leg speed and repotedly on 130k. I think if you look through the team sheets compared to 15 years ago, front rowers while valuable dont command the same coin, and most teams need 6 or 8 where back then 4 or 5 was considered ample

jbb/james said:
Eagle Rock said:
jbb/james said:

I didnt really say they dont get good hard running props. Its just they dont spend big coin on them anymore.Maybe Matt scott but not many more. Apart from Sam I cant imagine the burgess boys getting top money. Richie was hard running, with good leg speed and repotedly on 130k. I think if you look through the team sheets compared to 15 years ago, front rowers while valuable dont command the same coin, and most teams need 6 or 8 where back then 4 or 5 was considered ample

Props are very rarely on top $$$ compared say backs and key positional players. They don't usually have a longevity in the sport. Another top prop who could play a whole game, great player was Petero Civoniceva

Experience is the only worry tbh, we have 4 or 5 props ready to step up one of those i think will be playing in rep teams within a few years barring injuries.

Players like King just need to share wisdom and they pay for themselves.

It makes for a great pre-season etc for interest and excitement as we have so much opportunity for some young guns

Imo we should start with Lawrence and Starling and interchange with King & whoever the 4th prop in the pecking order is. That way we won't be throwing 2 young blokes to the wolves.

How hard is it to play prop ? If a young bloke has the heart and strength in him he will do the job

BOZO said:
How hard is it to play prop ? If a young bloke has the heart and strength in him he will do the job
We'll find out soon enough how much the modern game has changed. Most of our premiership teams have featured tremendous front rows to lay the platform.

Lord Eagleton said:
Mate i would be very very happy if the rumors were true and Aaron Woods managed to get out of his contract this year to join us immediately. As long as we dont pay overs for him, i think he would complement Lawrence and King nicely

I can't see that happening. He may have been raised as a fanatical Sea Eagles fan and own property in the area but I think that his supposed asking price of $600,000 per season would put a stop to that. Our salary cap is already supposedly at the bursting point (that is if you believe what is written in the papers) and we are supposed to be struggling to hang on to Gift too because our cap is so tight.

There is a section in today's DT Sport Confidential article that says:

"Wests are painfully aware of the affection Woods has for Manly, and have made his retention priority No. 1 before the season kicks off. Tigers CEO Grant Mayer met with Woods' agent this week and is very confident of finalising an extension soon."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sport-confidential-dave-smith-could-learn-a-few-thing-from-the-way-nfl-does-business/story-fni3fbgz-1226820078435

Lord Eagleton said:
This guys available. He'll have a crack and do it for a few schooners and a pie after the game

He looks like a prop we used to have years ago - Billy Weepu.

tookey said:
Lord Eagleton said:
This guys available. He'll have a crack and do it for a few schooners and a pie after the game

He looks like a prop we used to have years ago - Billy Weepu.

Sheesh we'll all be weeping if it comes to that.
If we're going to get criminals we could try for Packer, assuming he does better on appeal. Or there's that Ryan Tandy fellow. The options are limitless.

Ralphie said:
Another good option would be to lure Luke O'Donnell out of retirement.

He's as mad as a cut snake that bloke, and I love it. Imagine a cpl weeks with Donny, some head games from Tooves, and bring Richie in as a mad man consultant, then let him off the collar!!!...there'd by bodies everywhere!!:D...
(I might need to lay off the espressos too....I:s)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6