Warriors hand Matai deadline

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Jerry1 link=topic=184356.msg279721#msg279721 date=1280397954]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184356.msg279718#msg279718 date=1280397158]
[quote author=Jerry1 link=topic=184356.msg279707#msg279707 date=1280395951]
He would be stupid not to go. If Manly were serious they would have made him a sensible offer by now.

We did the same to Orford last year - Strung him along hoping that reasonable offers would disappear along the way.

As much as I rate the bloke which I do & Highly. He'd be a plonker to stay now.

C-ya Stevie - best of luck.

What do you know of the offers we have made him ?
[/quote]

I know that if we had made him a serious offer he would have accepted & not strung along the warriors for all this time.

Stringing clubs along does nothing for your reputation or for further offers down the track.

Would you stuff around potential employers - Buggered if I would.
As I said - seen it before & will see it again.

Live & learn.

[/quote]

Fact, we have offered the best we can do with our situation

Fact, the Warriors have offered a higher amount

Steve doesn't want to leave, and he has a decision to make, how long that takes him to make is up to him

Just trying to figure out your reasoning here as well and it has me stuffed tbh, you are saying that we haven't made him a serious offer, if that is the case, why would he not have signed elsewhere seeing as you say manly are not a contender ?
[/quote]

Not signed as yet - says it all doesn't it.
He's gone or he has no commercial sense.

10 years from now when he's bouncing on a pub door he'll be saying
Jeez I'm glad I stayed at manly for 100K a season less than moving back home.

I don't think so.

So Beaver was an idiot knocking back the dollars for all those years as well ?

Not all in this world have the sole motivation of money.

I am sure the fact he is about to become a father for the 1st time would be playing a role in things as well

things like loyalty ,lifestyle,safety,mateship etc come to mind it goes beyond the $$$$ i think steve is battling the above more then the coin

Kiwi Eagle link said:
So Beaver was an idiot knocking back the dollars for all those years as well ?

Not all in this world have the sole motivation of money.

I am sure the fact he is about to become a father for the 1st time would be playing a role in things as well
I loved beaver - but yes - last couple of years he'd have been much better off playing in the UK. Thing is a player gets what 12 years or a couple more to set themselves up for life. Most put footy before college or uni so when they finish it can be very hard for them to get a good job unless they are gifted in the media or can obtain coaching jobs. These are few & far between.

Me if I had that short a career planned I'd had to milk every cent I could out if it. I have kids to put through college & a house to pay off.

I'm sure most players will too.

Dan link said:
kurri?? his.....jjai Fro is lurking...
.. i cant see the mistake dan ???  maybe if i cant see it neither will fro..lol

his should be he's for a start....his="that is his" i.e. belonging to.

He's = He is

Fro come and do you job, that is as far as I go

I don't spend 24/7 on here chasing spelling errors :)

You realise now you have proven you know how to do it i'll expect no more spelling errors from you:)

Fro link said:

You realise now you have proven you know how to do it i'll expect no more spelling errors from you:)
u used two :p

How is it a fact that we've offered the very best we can to matai? All I've seen with regards to his contract is that Manly have offered as much as they are willing to for his service. Not as much as they can.

Cambo link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=184356.msg279784#msg279784 date=1280442836]

u used two :p
[/quote]

I did??

Manly have been doing this for years. Offer a player an amount we think is ok but not great. If he signs, great, if not, no big deal we have another player to replace him. Given Matai's injury problems it's not worth giving him top dollar. Plus you don't disillusion the fans by not even putting an offer on the table.

Same happened to Orford. Give a low but ok offer, no big deal if he doesn't sign but we get a bargain if he does.

Sensible move by the club. Des knows what he's doing in my opinion. He has players he wants to build a team around and the rest aren't worth big money, so why offer it?

abnc link said:
Manly have been doing this for years. Offer a player an amount we think is ok but not great. If he signs, great, if not, no big deal we have another player to replace him. Given Matai's injury problems it's not worth giving him top dollar. Plus you don't disillusion the fans by not even putting an offer on the table.

Same happened to Orford. Give a low but ok offer, no big deal if he doesn't sign but we get a bargain if he does.

Sensible move by the club. Des knows what he's doing in my opinion. He has players he wants to build a team around and the rest aren't worth big money, so why offer it?
mate just his passion alone on sunday would have been enough for me to resign him.. he makes the team lift with his agression..

jjai link said:
[quote author=abnc link=topic=184356.msg279838#msg279838 date=1280452013]

mate just his passion alone on sunday would have been enough for me to resign him.. he makes the team lift with his agression..
[/quote]

Yeah but is that worth the same money as the Warriors are allegedly offering? Especially given his injuries? Not in my opinion.

FFS..where does this " Matai is too injury prone"  f-in shyte come from ??? He's probably missed more games suspended than injured.

Good first post Westie.

But wrong, he is injured a lot. It's part and parcel of the way he plays, he throws himself into everything.

Personally i'd rather have someone like that who you know is going to put everything into it, than a softcok who dodges the collision because they might get hurt.

Fro link said:
Good first post Westie.

But wrong, he is injured a lot. It's part and parcel of the way he plays, he throws himself into everything.

Personally i'd rather have someone like that who you know is going to put everything into it, than a softcok who dodges the collision because they might get hurt.

Yeah agree you have to put your body on the line, but there are not many first graders that don't. And i'd have to say all Manly players put their body on the line. Brett did and he got a season ending injury because of it, and Farrar put his body on the line against the same player (Lote) on the weekend to try to stop a try. If you don't put your body on the line you don't last long in first grade.

My point is simply do you offer a lot of money to a player that has known injury issues. I'm happy to see Matai stay personally, but if he goes then so be it.

Ben Kennedey was considered to be injury prone, and look what he gave to us when he was with us. Acutally BK and Matai have something in common, Passion, and in my opinion that is worth massive amounts. How much we are prepared to pay for that passion remains to be seen, but it if it was me calling the shots I would be signing Matai immediately.

Flip link said:
How is it a fact that we've offered the very best we can to matai? All I've seen with regards to his contract is that Manly have offered as much as they are willing to for his service. Not as much as they can.

Could be argued that it is the same thing. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4