Warriors hand Matai deadline

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The nrl site and the manly site dont display total games played.....started in 2005 ...according to wikipedia ( yeah i know )...he's played 103 games and about nearly a dozen internationals....at 24 games max. a year for the normal rounds ...i reckon hes doing ok. for a guy thats puts it like he does....If he goes ( and i hope he doesnt ) , then he goes with my best wishes , and no one can complain about him looking after himself etc , esp. if the warriors  offer is better than the one we've made.

IT could be argued as the same thing Garts but the general tone here on Silvertails these past few weeks are that manly are having financial difficulties and lack of contract negotiations and signings is an indicator that we aren't spending to the cap.

That I assume was the reason to post we can't offer him more.

injuries are one thing, but missing games is something else.
Matai does get 'injured' during games, but the important thing is he continues to front-up, minute-by-minute and game-to-game.

The warriors decision may actually help us. He can't be very highly thought of considering the deadline...?! Maybe that is where Manly are smart, offering a deal and applying no deadline shows that we are keen but not going to run-out & buy someone else...

Time will tell... but i would have signed-up Matai in a heartbeat.

PCam link said:
injuries are one thing, but missing games is something else.
Matai does get 'injured' during games, but the important thing is he continues to front-up, minute-by-minute and game-to-game.

100 % SPOT ON

Flip link said:
IT could be argued as the same thing Garts but the general tone here on Silvertails these past few weeks are that manly are having financial difficulties and lack of contract negotiations and signings is an indicator that we aren't spending to the cap.

Could be, but I dont believe all the stuff I read on here.  Some of the posters take 1 + 1 and get 15.  I would say we have upgraded contracts and are especially wary after the Storm situation.  I am sure we are tight but doubt we are not spending to the cap.  Our roster is one of the best in the comp on paper so I dont expect to be making any high profile signings.  But the Foran situation leaves me scratching my head.  

Flip link said:

I think you give posters on here too much credit Flip.

99.9% know SFA about manlys financials, they just make it up as they go along :)

I wasn't suggesting that the posters have any idea about the club's financials, Fro. I was commenting in a way that seems fit the general concensus here these days.

That said i don't think we are struggling with the cap at all.

consensus is overrated :)

And I am of the opinion that we have at least 1 big signing in the wings waiting to be announced, so I'd agree as far as us and the cap goes

I reckon Lyon would have missed more game through injury that Matai in the past 3 seasons, have no stats or anything to back it up though

this is the longest deadline in the history of player negotiations..  i bet  this time next week  the headlines will say  warriors give matai ultimatum..  its the end of july  nearly this things been going since may..

Fro link said:

And I am of the opinion that we have at least 1 big signing in the wings waiting to be announced, so I'd agree as far as us and the cap goes

I'll give you some "FANlove" as well if that's true Fro, especially if the big signing is the same big signing that Baz is talking about....although to be honest I'd prefer another top line Prop (if one was available) if a choice was possible

I was never Matai's biggest fans.. but the last few years he has become the first name on the team sheet. His defence has improved out of sight.. his judgement in defence etc.

He never misses games due to injury.. he might get injured during a game but he always plays the next week. If anything he misses more games through suspension.

We would lack much needed aggression without him in the side.. too many soft players..

However if he does go.. we have Whare who can step up.. and i think thats why we have not matched the warriors bid.

If he stays.. excellent.. if he doesnt.. Whare your up.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=184356.msg279892#msg279892 date=1280460260]

I'll give you some "FANlove" as well if that's true Fro, especially if the big signing is the same big signing that Baz is talking about....although to be honest I'd prefer another top line Prop (if one was available) if a choice was possible
[/quote]
I'm with you Mark!
If we can hold onto Matai and Foran, then give us Sika Manu.

Jerry1 link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184356.msg279724#msg279724 date=1280399698]
So Beaver was an idiot knocking back the dollars for all those years as well ?

Not all in this world have the sole motivation of money.

I am sure the fact he is about to become a father for the 1st time would be playing a role in things as well
I loved beaver - but yes - last couple of years he'd have been much better off playing in the UK. Thing is a player gets what 12 years or a couple more to set themselves up for life. Most put footy before college or uni so when they finish it can be very hard for them to get a good job unless they are gifted in the media or can obtain coaching jobs. These are few & far between.

Me if I had that short a career planned I'd had to milk every cent I could out if it. I have kids to put through college & a house to pay off.

I'm sure most players will too.

[/quote]

This "players only get 10 or 12 years" bull**** drives me insane. I didnt go t Uni, and have no trouble surviving from day to day, as do a lot of people in this world who dont have tertiary educations.

Jerry, you are a tool.

It seems that the deadline thing was bull****, but this does give me a bit more confidence about our ability to retain him, the baby factor will play a part. From NZ Herald today

"Meanwhile, Bell confirmed the club had informed Manly centre Steve Matai it needed an answer on its contract offer sooner rather than later.

Matai, who has an offer to stay at Manly and is also being chased by the Sharks, is believed to be reluctant to move to Auckland as his partner is expecting a baby in September.

"Steve is our priority at the moment given what is on the market. But when a player is at a good club it is always hard to get them away from places like that. We should know in a few days."

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Jerry1 link=topic=184356.msg279738#msg279738 date=1280402051]

I am sure the fact he is about to become a father for the 1st time would be playing a role in things as well
I loved beaver - but yes - last couple of years he'd have been much better off playing in the UK. Thing is a player gets what 12 years or a couple more to set themselves up for life. Most put footy before college or uni so when they finish it can be very hard for them to get a good job unless they are gifted in the media or can obtain coaching jobs. These are few & far between.

Me if I had that short a career planned I'd had to milk every cent I could out if it. I have kids to put through college & a house to pay off.

[/quote]

This "players only get 10 or 12 years" bulls**t drives me insane. I didnt go t Uni, and have no trouble surviving from day to day, as do a lot of people in this world who dont have tertiary educations.

Jerry, you are a tool.
[/quote]

10 - 12 years and then a free step into business, or media, or journalism, or product endorsement or whatever... plus the clubs support players into and through uni, and then there is coaching and sports management jobs.... plenty to go around if they want to.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=184356.msg280037#msg280037 date=1280479981]

[/quote]

This "players only get 10 or 12 years" bulls**t drives me insane. I didnt go t Uni, and have no trouble surviving from day to day, as do a lot of people in this world who dont have tertiary educations.

Jerry, you are a tool.
[/quote]

10 - 12 years and then a free step into business, or media, or journalism, or product endorsement or whatever... plus the clubs support players into and through uni, and then there is coaching and sports management jobs.... plenty to go around if they want to.
[/quote]

I have no idea where this belief came from that NRL players deserve to only have to "work" until they're 30 odd. If my job/business can't support me until retirement, then I have to find something else. Any player who hasn't the nouse to invest wisely or prepare for life after league only has themselves to blame.

That rant over, I have no problem with players earning as much as they can from the game, but spare me this "players only have 10-12 years to set themselves up for life" routine.

clontaago link said:

[/quote]

Jerry, you are a tool.
[/quote]

Mate - it's hard to go from earning 250 or 300K a year to an average wage of say 60K.

We can tell you didn't go to uni.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6