What will a poor 2009 really cost us ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just 1 thing that I will comment on from this topic, the "bring in new guys and the crowds will come"

Let's be honest, the people who stop going, are bandwagoners. A bunch of young kids copping a hiding every 2nd weekend won't keep them coming through the gates either

Kiwi, no one's talking about running the U20 as our Premier side.  But just how hard is it to be dropped?  For example give Princess a rest and promote JWHargreaves.  What I'm saying is why do we have to put on the field, week after week, a bunch of players who fail.  Identify the weakest links and replace.  Robbo as fullback....again....c'mon. 

My motto is only drop if the side will be made stronger, or there is a high likelyhood that it could. So JWH over King on in for Cuthbo, yep, no problem with that.
Robbo was fine last week, are the Sunshine Coast guys any better, i doubt it highly, so a no from me there. Moving Wolfman across, I would agree with
Siniula for Bani, no issue

Anyhow, I am lacing up the boots this weekend for the 1st time in 14-15 years, so a couple of decent games and I will put my hand up, that will surely bring the crowds in :p

I think we are missing a bit of enthusiasm - bring in JWH for Cuthbo who is out for the next 4 weeks and Suniula for Bani.

Time for Des to bite the bullet - Bailey isnt working at 5/8th. Put Lyon back there, i am confused as to why he was moved in the 1st place.
Does the Bailey/Lyon situation remind anyone of when we had to fit Craig Field in the team, moving Cliffy from his prefered position and Toovey to 5/8th?

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
But I think you'll find the \"build it and they will come\" refers to the playing field not the team.

I know the origin of the phrase, I was using it as an anology to illustrate if the team performs on the field than the fans, sponsorship and merchandise dollars will come. Build a successful winning side and the rest of the stuff is made so much easier.

In general the point I was trying to make is that success in the NRL is cyclical, you really only have a 3-4 year window to build a side and then make the most of it to win a premiership. After this the salary cap catches up to you and you've got to start rebuilding again. We obviously still have a bloody good side, one more than capable of winning this year, but for reasons of off field drama and poor performances we are frittering away a wonderful opportunity to capitilise on the last 3 years hard work. This side could have been considered one of the best Manly sides ever with back to back premierships, now they will be remembered as overachievers who couldn't back up and were mentally weak. Things haven't changed that much from last year, it seems an attitude problem to me.

Be very careful Kiwi.  I've heard lots of stories about horrendous injuries happening to guys coming back to contact sport after years away.  Pepi, Arh, you've brought back memories with the name Craig Field.  Funny one I remember was when he was playing for Balmain at leichhardt one day.  The whole crowd braying at him from the stand above the players run to 'give us back the money you crunt'.  

Could a stale, fear-based, belief-inspired, defensive attitude be the fundamental problem here?  Image and expectations of being the unbeatable team based on a 40-0 aberration?  That ridiculous score a gift from Melbourne's injuries, suspension and mental self-destruction?  Could the 40-0 now be a chain around their necks?  Gold for last year, poison for this one?  And the Stewart, form and divisive board-room issues just add to the defensive siege mentality?  

Des and the team playing safe, not willing to try new things, try new perspectives?  And if so, how to get the players and coaching staff to erase the image and memory and get back into fearless, radical, learning mode?

Edit: "How" is not the real question.  The burning question is "Can" they?  And if so, what differences would we see that would cause and be associated with this?

Hey Rex, you roused me from my comortable snoozing mediocrity.
So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.
That's it - let's attack!!

[with no apologies to FDR]

It was OK for FDR to spray this stuff around, he had the largest, most advanced and well resourced military machine going around.  (no disrespect to the NAZIs who were having their butts kicked on the Eastern front when the US got into serious attack mode)  We, on the other hand must rely on players well out of form.  Whether it's a mental thing, not enough cows blood or just tired from to much footie is a puzzle.  That puzzle is there for the coach to solve.  He's either up to it, or should pass.  All people outlive their usefullness. (with no apologies to AH)    

DSM5 link said:
Be very careful Kiwi.  I've heard lots of stories about horrendous injuries happening to guys coming back to contact sport after years away.   

I want a match report (preferably with pics) of kiwi eagle's comeback game.

LOL well I shall provide one for you then

The day started well when our side had 10 players, and the opposition loaned us 3. Was very, very rusty. Got smashed 2nd hit up so that settled the nerves

Best way to describe my day would be a Watmough day

Missed plenty of tackles, probably made 3 and missed 6 at a guess. We were hot on attack, I had the pill 2m out, heard a yes call so popped the offload, and then watched the opposition run 98m to score lol. After that just tucked the ball under the wing and played a Martin Lang type of game. That paid off at 1 point when I got through the line, outpaced the fullback and fended off the centre to score from about 30m out which kinda made up for the earlier stuffup

Am a bit sore at the moment, copped a knee in the thigh, and sore thumb and finger as well somehow. The other side was pretty good, got hammered in 1 tackle and the guy asked on the way down if I was ok, and when ya made a decent run they told ya as well

Probably a 6/10 in the RLW ratings

No photographer present on the day

Kiwi Eagle link said:
... Am a bit sore at the moment, copped a knee in the thigh, and sore thumb and finger as well somehow...

Bit of a Hoppa response to being kneed them?

Rex link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180299.msg222052#msg222052 date=1241860825]
... Am a bit sore at the moment, copped a knee in the thigh, and sore thumb and finger as well somehow...

Bit of a Hoppa response to being kneed them?
[/quote]

Haha no idea how they came about, but the finger is bloody swollen this morning

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7