Where does this Panthers Team Rate?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Given this achievement of a 3peat. I was thinking where do people rate this team?

I would probably say going back to the Eels 81-83 team? Mainly due to my age.

Personally I find it hard to go past the Raiders team of 89-94.

But there have been some great teams:

Manly 70s
Eels early 80s
Raiders 89-94
Broncos early 90s
Manly mid 90s (although failing to get 2 Premierships in that 3 year period makes it rough).
Storm 2006-2010 (yes they are a bunch of cheating kunts, but still interested in the comparison).
Roosters double in recent years.

And yes the Dragons with their 11 straight....but well before my time.

Been thinking about this myself, but very fair to say this Penrith team, love or hate them, are right up with the best.
I would absolutely love to see that winning Manly 2008 or 2011 team take them on and would be a 50/50 game imo.
It's hard going back to those earlier years of 70's and 80's as the game has changed so much and the body shapes and styles are so different.
I will say that the Eels team early 80's was the dominant side of that period by a long way and the backline was 1 of untouchable class, which really annoys me to say as it cost Manly another 2 Premierships and changed the career of young Gun Phil Blake, who if we win those 2 games is known in the same breath as the biggest Manly Legends and would have had a far different career.
The Raiders of that 90's period, even 89 beating hotshot Tigers was stacked with Superstars, though Manly late 90's took over but could only seal the deal once to my dissappointment......2000's Melbourne took a strangle hold on the comp, until Manly murdered them and took the momentum and in reality without a few key outs like Snake Stewart....again would have won a couple more comps
But to answer the question honestly, this Penrith side is the real deal and up with the Best.

You'd have to think that the current 'riff team will be lurking at (or near) the top of the heap for quite a few more years. If that eventuates then they'd be regarded as one of the best ever.

Souths had a handy team late 60s to early 70s as well.

Just had a quick look at the list of premiers from way back and St George and/or Souths were at the pointy end every year from 1949 to 1971 inclusive... Must've been monotonous if you didn't support one of those two!

Don 't get to appear in 4 consecutive G f 's if you are not a team or squad of the highest order .
So the Panthers would have to rank right up there and particularly in the cap era of again , a very high quality outfit .
Not unbeatable and showed some fragilities against some of the individual classy plays of the Broncs the other night . But also showed that well honed , professional style of play and cut throat approach that has served then so well in recent seasons in that comeback .
Have their systems [ bit like the Storm culture ] up to a very high and consistent level .
Maybe the Broncs slackened off a bit but only the very good sides can mount comebacks like the other night to gradually get on top of an opposition and retrieve the or a very dire situation .
Certainly will be losing a really good player in Crichton , and will reduce their competitiveness a bit
Have to think that they will still be there abouts in the premiership stakes for some time yet if the footy Gods are kind to them injury wise .

Been thinking about this myself, but very fair to say this Penrith team, love or hate them, are right up with the best.
I would absolutely love to see that winning Manly 2008 or 2011 team take them on and would be a 50/50 game imo.
It's hard going back to those earlier years of 70's and 80's as the game has changed so much and the body shapes and styles are so different.
I will say that the Eels team early 80's was the dominant side of that period by a long way and the backline was 1 of untouchable class, which really annoys me to say as it cost Manly another 2 Premierships and changed the career of young Gun Phil Blake, who if we win those 2 games is known in the same breath as the biggest Manly Legends and would have had a far different career.
The Raiders of that 90's period, even 89 beating hotshot Tigers was stacked with Superstars, though Manly late 90's took over but could only seal the deal once to my dissappointment......2000's Melbourne took a strangle hold on the comp, until Manly murdered them and took the momentum and in reality without a few key outs like Snake Stewart....again would have won a couple more comps
But to answer the question honestly, this Penrith side is the real deal and up with the Best.
Summed it up well Maxta, big difference to the 80's, the footballers of today are bigger and quicker and more athletic than the tough hard as nails plodders from those days. But, give Penrith their dues winning 3 in a row in our cap levelling comp is quite an achievement.

Don 't get to appear in 4 consecutive G f 's if you are not a team or squad of the highest order .
So the Panthers would have to rank right up there and particularly in the cap era of again , a very high quality outfit .
Not unbeatable and showed some fragilities against some of the individual classy plays of the Broncs the other night . But also showed that well honed , professional style of play and cut throat approach that has served then so well in recent seasons in that comeback .
Have their systems [ bit like the Storm culture ] up to a very high and consistent level .
Maybe the Broncs slackened off a bit but only the very good sides can mount comebacks like the other night to gradually get on top of an opposition and retrieve the or a very dire situation .
Certainly will be losing a really good player in Crichton , and will reduce their competitiveness a bit
Have to think that they will still be there abouts in the premiership stakes for some time yet if the footy Gods are kind to them injury wise .
They have a conveyer belt of juniors all chugging down the line at the Penrith carousel waiting to be snapped up and all champing at the bit to show their wares.

Every decade has been dominated by the rise of a new Premiership winning Empire
And the Panthers Players have won their way into the NRL History book of all time Great Premiership Winners

The Greatest Glory is what every player plays for and what every club strives for
The Greatest Glory is raising the Winning Premiership Trophy

God Bless our Manly Sea eagle Premiership Winning Heroes that Elevated our Legendary clubs Status
1696393465905.png

Parramatta team Kenny, sterling, price, cronin, Ella,Taylor, grothe, edge, leibeater sharp Wynn were a better side.

Manly, on 8 Premierships since the intake of new clubs in 1947, rates higher than clubs which came after that timeline, or many clubs which started up to 40 years earlier.

The thing to admire about the current Penrith club is that for the past four seasons it has been losing an average of two top players each season, thanks to the salary cap, yet it continues to replenish and prosper. I'm sure it is sticking to the salary cup, unlike Easts which can win a comp and still recruit proven stars.
Our premierships, since the 1980s, have been one-offs. After winning premierships we've lost great players/coaches and not been able to repeat the effort the next season. The 'Riff have done a remarkable job staying at the top for so long.

Manly, on 8 Premierships since the intake of new clubs in 1947, rates higher than clubs which came after that timeline, or many clubs which started up to 40 years earlier.
Or one premiership every nine and a bit seasons, a figure gradually drifting out, courtesy of the longish drought since 2011.

Plus Manly have played in 19 first grade grand finals, not including the 1978 replay. Take out the three years as the Northern Eagles, that’s better than one GF appearance every four seasons.

The thing to admire about the current Penrith club is that for the past four seasons it has been losing an average of two top players each season, thanks to the salary cap, yet it continues to replenish and prosper. I'm sure it is sticking to the salary cup, unlike Easts which can win a comp and still recruit proven stars.
Our premierships, since the 1980s, have been one-offs. After winning premierships we've lost great players/coaches and not been able to repeat the effort the next season. The 'Riff have done a remarkable job staying at the top for so long.
It’s obviously a hard thing to do, going back to back, or threepeating.

It's like comparing apples with oranges. If this current panthers side were to play ANY team from history under today's rules it would be a no contest. As has already been said, today's players are far fitter and bigger. Their only job is to be better footy players and they have diet and science on their side.

Penny have to be the best imo..
Atleast of any team in the last 40 years… apart from the way they manage to handle losing key players each season, you also need to look at HOW they won the titles..
Against the bunnies it was a very even game, a good arm wrestle that they managed to come out on top…
Against the eels it was a demolition job.. over after 20 minutes…
Against broncos it was backs against the wall, come from behind in the biggest comeback in nrl gf history..
hell… even look at the storm gf, had that game gone another 2 minutes or so the panthers would be 4/4 as they got over the nerves and came absolutely storming home to almost steal it…
Just a class club that can win when it’s close, can win when expected, and can win when their backs against the wall and most (if not all) other teams would have crumbled

Just had a quick look at the list of premiers from way back and St George and/or Souths were at the pointy end every year from 1949 to 1971 inclusive... Must've been monotonous if you didn't support one of those two!
That was down to the residency rules at that time. The real reason those two hate Manly is because Arko successfully challenged those rules & had them abolished.

It takes time to assess a team or era IMO.

We are in the midst of the Panthers era so in their favour is recency bias but going against them is the fact we are measuring them on what could well be halftime on their achievements.

Give it 5 or 10 years then lets reflect. My suspicion is in that time this squad will stack up against any

Last edited:
They are a great team no doubt about it , To play in 4 consecutive Grand finals puts them in comparison with all the great teams of the past that played in consecutive Grand Finals , Going back to South’s , St George, Manly , Parramatta, Brisbane and Melbourne
Its hard to compare different era’s But there up there with best of them , If they win a few more with majority of there squad they have now I’d dare say they will be of the greatest of all time

I think it depends on context…

It terms of consistency, they’re up with the very best but on most other criteria, I don’t have them anywhere near the top…

90s Manly
90s Raiders
90s Broncos
2007+ Storm
2007+ Manly
Early 2000s Roosters
Early 2000s Dogs
…beat this Penrith side when they play their best football.

I just don’t fear this Panthers side or get excitement from their football. Outside of Leota charge, they’re pretty straight up and down in everything they do. They don’t have exciting speedy backs or a particularly creative spine. They just do all the 1% stuff well and have done for 4 years. It’s highly effective and winners are grinners but there have been much more fearsome and damaging football sides over the years.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10