Who are your top eight sides and why?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle said:
Napper said:
Dogs Melbourne Manly will be strong all year no doubt. There is no reason Cronulla shouldn't be there either.

The only REAL danger, in my opinion, to these 4 will be the chooks. Great backline, Pearce has been average but not poor but i think Maloney will bring the best out of him. Both solid defenders and Maloney is quality. He should have been playing Origin by now. Last year he was quiet but so was his whole team.

Their forward pack are menacing, cut out the stupid errors and pointless niggle, throw in SBW and it will be hard to stop.

Cows, Canberra, Parra will round out the 8 imo.

Maloney is massively over rated I reckon. He is a good NRL level player, but as a playmaker he doesn't offer a hell of a lot and nowhere near Origin quality

His best attribute is as a support player using his pace to run off an offload. His kicking game is ok, but as a playmaker he doesn't offer much at all, and he is a terrible defender. Always gives 100% though
Exactly why he will prove dangerous Kiwi, plenty of Chooks fowards with an offload & add SBW (best offload in the game) & he will make Plenty of line breaks in 2013. Not the best conventional 5/8 but as a runner up with the best.

That's why I think he'd probably go better as a fullback tbh. I can't class him up amongst the top 5/8s personally coz he is a bit limited

I'm not convinced that Roosters are a top 8 team, let alone a top 4 team. I might be wrong, but their spine doesn't excite me. 1 is old, 6 is still dining out on a good 2011 and fresh off a uninspiring 2012, 7 lacks creativity, and 9 ?? well who is their 9 ?? was he the one who was dealing in nursing home patients' valium prescriptions ?

SBW will be a threat and is a superstar, but I think the defensive workload will take away his edge, he's forgotten what it is like to have to make 30 or so solid tackles a match. Jennings is a class centre, just depends whether he can get his head right. Plenty of distractions in the East. They are a good young side, but I think they will lack a level experienced head to take control. Anyway we'll see, at this stage I'd be laying them to make the 8.

Kiwi Eagle said:
That's why I think he'd probably go better as a fullback tbh. I can't class him up amongst the top 5/8s personally coz he is a bit limited
Yeh very true he is purely a running based 5/8 but with Pearce commanding 75% of the organisation, it could well suit the Roosters who have big boppers unloading all day allowing him to play that role. No doubt fullback would also be an option but will imo add much more spark at 5/8 than a disinterested Anasta has offered there in recent seasons.
Roosters should finish 6-8 imo....

Eagles2nv said:
My Team in no particular order... well expect for manly being premiers :).

Manly - Improved talented halves, talented mix of youth and experience, great culture, no more des rubbish, 2V second year, the list goes on - Premiers for sure.

Storm - Assuming bellyache stays but, you cant ignore the talent of the storms spine. Backing them for minor premiership, but choke in the finals.

Dogs - Im expecting J renolyds may suffer a lil form 2nd yr syndrome (his contract is up also whihc may make him better or worse). Barba will probably have another good yr and they have a big forward back. Des will have them in the 8 (as much as it sucks)

Souffs - Like his brother from another mother, im expecting A renolyds to be down on last yrs form. No dave taylor this yr either. However i still think they have the talent to make the back end of the 8

Cronulla - On paper building a good side. if carney is firing the sharkies will do well, as he has some talent around him. Im expecting the sharkies may even make it to the Grand final (and loose it to manly of course :))

Raiders - Terry's back, dugans had a few years in the nrl, and they have some talented forwards and backs. Assuming they can manage injuries, i think they''l make the 8

Donkeys - Brisbane have alot of very talent young players. They have now added an expierenced half to their ranks, which should help them out. Prince is a good player, the titans ruined him.

Cowboys - assuming they can hold onto thurston, cowboys are in. they have talented front row and a experienced halfback.

Dark horse - Warriors - They had a atrocious 2012, however johnson is heading into his 3rd season and will be the senior play maker. They have an imensly talented junior line up, so they will be one to watch.

Spooner - Titans - dont think i need to explain this one :)

Anyway thats my take on it.

Great summary, but don't discount Dragon wooden spoon.

I wonder if anyone else has read the article, in the Sydney Morning Herald today, about how hard it is for clubs to consistently be in the top 8.It repeatedly quotes Geoff Toovey about the difficulty in motivating players to play at their top the whole season and the closeness of the competition.Just one off game can make a lot of difference in the results.
I am not computer literate so I cannot put the article on here but maybe someone else can.Tooveys comments are really interesting.

Don't read too much into it. Toovey is experienced enough to know that you don't need to go into every single match with extreme intensity. Have faith that he has good relationships with his players, expects nothing other than a title in 2013 and will demand nothing other than absolute determination come finals time.

In 2013, we may very well crown Toovey (again).

Manly fans, strap yourselves in and enjoy the 2013 ride.

mbe said:
I wonder if anyone else has read the article, in the Sydney Morning Herald today, about how hard it is for clubs to consistently be in the top 8.It repeatedly quotes Geoff Toovey about the difficulty in motivating players to play at their top the whole season and the closeness of the competition.Just one off game can make a lot of difference in the results.
I am not computer literate so I cannot put the article on here but maybe someone else can.Tooveys comments are really interesting.

copy.....paste....happiness....+ 1 Like......Karma......pizza

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/no-guarantees-in-race-for-top-eight-20130127-2df1b.html

Manly coach Geoff Toovey, who is coming into his second season in charge of the Sea Eagles, admitted it was sometimes difficult to keep the players motivated, which is a big contributor to the discrepancy in finals teams for year to year.

''Once you've achieved some success, it can go one way or the other,'' he said. ''You can maintain that success or dwell on last year and not focus on the year ahead. That can also lead to your downfall. I think a lot of it is mental when you're trying to maintain your success and maintain the same principles that got you there in the first place.

''The more success you have the harder it is to keep their minds switched on the job. You just really need to concentrate on the playing group you've got and realise if they've met their full potential as yet. To do that, they have to keep working hard away from the game, as well as game day. It is about having the desire and maintaining that desire to succeed.''

silvertail said:
Don't read too much into it. Toovey is experienced enough to know that you don't need to go into every single match with extreme intensity. Have faith that he has good relationships with his players, expects nothing other than a title in 2013 and will demand nothing other than absolute determination come finals time.

In 2013, we may very well crown Toovey (again).

Manly fans, strap yourselves in and enjoy the 2013 ride.

Of course he is probably mindful of Manly's display in the semi that saw them finish for the season. Lot of reasons, including injuries being carried but I think after the battle the week before against the Cowboys, which was a brutal affair, Manly just didnt have the energy to go further.

I think I can also see what he is saying because we all saw matches Manly played during the year that we thought they should have won easily and lost and then other games when it all clicked and they played like premiers.

Hopefully injuries and suspensions wont affect Manly so badly this year and their seemingly outstanding back up squad and rising talent will give Manly more breathing space this year, should some players form drop unexpectedly.

globaleagle said:
mbe said:

copy.....paste....happiness....+ 1 Like......Karma......pizza

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/no-guarantees-in-race-for-top-eight-20130127-2df1b.html

Manly coach Geoff Toovey, who is coming into his second season in charge of the Sea Eagles, admitted it was sometimes difficult to keep the players motivated, which is a big contributor to the discrepancy in finals teams for year to year.

''Once you've achieved some success, it can go one way or the other,'' he said. ''You can maintain that success or dwell on last year and not focus on the year ahead. That can also lead to your downfall. I think a lot of it is mental when you're trying to maintain your success and maintain the same principles that got you there in the first place.

''The more success you have the harder it is to keep their minds switched on the job. You just really need to concentrate on the playing group you've got and realise if they've met their full potential as yet. To do that, they have to keep working hard away from the game, as well as game day. It is about having the desire and maintaining that desire to succeed.''

Exactly why these new signings of talented young guns & naturally competitive players Fa'aso/ Horo will help maintain that high level of desire & will to win every game. This is a really exciting part of the 2013 that imo gives Manly a tougher edge than in 2012.
In 2012 the importance & reliability on she Rex came up well short at crucial times. Having a devestating player who at his best is 9/10 & at his worst is 1/10 can really demotivate a team.
Players like Horo/Fa'aso may be 7/10 players but give that 7/10 every game making the intensity better as a team & is enough to lay the platform for the best backline in the comp to score enough points to win majority of games.

I don't think we would have had the amount of re signings and new signings if toovs didn't have a good relationship with the players

MK Eagle said:
Exactly why these new signings of talented young guns & naturally competitive players Fa'aso/ Horo will help maintain that high level of desire & will to win every game. This is a really exciting part of the 2013 that imo gives Manly a tougher edge than in 2012.
In 2012 the importance & reliability on she Rex came up well short at crucial times. Having a devestating player who at his best is 9/10 & at his worst is 1/10 can really demotivate a team.
Players like Horo/Fa'aso may be 7/10 players but give that 7/10 every game making the intensity better as a team & is enough to lay the platform for the best backline in the comp to score enough points to win majority of games.

Fa'aoso just won a premiership ring so his hunger will be sated somewhat.

AT LEAST half of last year's semi-finalists will miss this year's finals, if recent history is anything to go by.

In the past five seasons, no more than four of the top eight sides from the previous year have qualified for the finals the following season.

This is the time of year when all 16 NRL clubs set their goal of reaching the play-offs, but you can almost guarantee there will be a few surprises come September.

Last season only four of the 2011 semi-finalists reached the play-offs, with Canberra, Cronulla, Canterbury and South Sydney all making their way up from the bottom half of the ladder to replace St George Illawarra, Newcastle, Wests Tigers and Warriors at the business end of the year.

It is a fair indication that the salary cap is doing what it was designed to do - even out the competition. Manly coach Geoff Toovey, who is coming into his second season in charge of the Sea Eagles, admitted it was sometimes difficult to keep the players motivated, which is a big contributor to the discrepancy in finals teams for year to year.

It has been nine years since all top-four sides maintained their position in the finals the following year, but It is hard to see which team out of Melbourne, Canterbury, South Sydney and Manly will miss out on the play-offs this season.

Since the introduction of the top-eight finals system in 1999, the same eight sides haven't qualified for the play-offs the following year. Six teams have rebooked their place in the finals on two occasions, five teams have done it four times, four teams have retained a berth on five occasions, while three teams retained finals positions once.

The closest to a repeat came in 2002 when seven of the reigning finalists retained their position in the finals.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/no-guarantees-in-race-for-top-eight-20130127-2df1b.html#ixzz2JQ0ECF4u

Cowboys-last chance b4 thurston leaves
Storm-quality in key positions
Manly-look stronger up front
Souths- inglis and super forwards
Knights- mongrel in the forward pack and some handy backs including gagai
Roosters-I think Jennings will cut loose with Pearce and Maloney. SBW
Sharks- good pack and carney may fire up since off contract
Broncos- may even finish top four. Prince signing is massive, just what they needed.

Not sure about the order but pretty confident of the teams.

This year will be closer than ever. There's 14 teams who can clearly make the 8 and 2 teams who could scrape in.

A better bet is the top 4 and here's mine (plus a hypothetical on the rest):

Cowboys - this could be their year. Barring injuries and the impact of SOO, which will take a toll, they could go through losing only 3 games and win the premiership. Definite Top 8

Sharks
- I actually expect, based on paper, a Sharks/Cowboys Grand Final. This would be great for the game but SOO will take a toll on both. The Sharks could go through losing only 3 games. Definite Top 8

Manly - A premiership is ours if the cards fall our way. It will depend on who we meet in the semi. SOO commitments and injuries could take a toll on us. I predict a big gap to the top 2 and we'll probably lose 6 games. Definite Top 8

Storm - I think they'll crawl in to the top 4, but they will be carrying injuries. I can't see them making it past the semis as their depth has been severely diluted this year, even with Finch - They'll probably lose 7 games. Definite Top 8

Bulldogs - I think the Bulldogs over performed last year and they will probably be 5th (I hope) this year. I just don't get a good feeling about them, I don't know why, but I just don't. Maybe 2014 will be their year. They'll probably lose 7 games Definite Top 8

Tigers - The Tigers could be the spoilers in the top 4, but I'm torn with them as there's so much uncertainty with them and so much depends on Benji and Farrar. They could come in the top 4 and then again they could come last. They'll probably lose 7/8 games Definite Top 8 (Smokey top 4)

Souths - They have all the talent and great coach, but I still think the top 4 can beat them any day. Again injuries will determine it. They could be No.1, but so much rests on so few players. Definite Top 8. They'll probably lose 7/8 games (Smokey top 4)

Canberra - A really young side that underachieved in 2012. They could be a smokey for top 8 but while their attack is brilliant, their defence is questionable. Maybe Top 8 They'll probably lose 7/8 games (Smokey top 4)

Warriors
- if the Tigers are the spoilers, this team, if their head is right, could easily be Top 4, but, they're a week to week situation and so unreliable. Maybe Top 8 They'll probably lose 7/8 (Smokey top 4)

Roosters - There's too much in-house ill discipline and Management is just closing thier eyes to it. It's a holiday camp at the Roosters. They'll win more than they lose but at the expense of lower teams and those who they meet during SOO who have fewer SOO commitments. If they fix their attitude, the Roosters could beat any team on their day, but I can't see a top 8 happening this year. SBW will guarantee good gate returns when he's not injured and then he'll be back to Rugby Union (let's hope it's worth the investment) but it'll be entertaining while he's here.

Broncos - Given the strength of other teams, I can only see them scraping into the Top 8, if at all and that will depend on how many of their favourable home Friday night games they win. SOO will have a huge effect on them this year and they'll find it difficult to recover from it if they lose a few during that time. It's a rebuilding year for the Broncos.

I can't see the other teams making a play for the Top 8 unless something strange really happens:

Newcastle - On paper they do not hold an ace compared to others although they do have some great players like Gidley, Boyd, Mason, Mullen, Snowden, Buderus and Uate but injuries have always taken its toll. Sure, Bennet is a wild card but other teams across the park just seem better and to have better coverage. They'll have quite a few upset victories in 2013 but it will be a year of rebuilding for both Bennet and Tinkler. They could scrape into the top 8, but that will be at the expense of other teams mistakes rather than earning it and it will be at the lower half of the Top 8.

Parramatta - Ricky will have less hair by the end of this year and may consult Warney for an ambassadorial role with his hair replacement company. Parramatta will win some surprises and miss out by a couple on others but they just don't have the 'across the park' engine to destroy other teams. Hayne is a genius and Sando is tricky but they just don't have the support. They're just missing a couple of cylinders (good players) to be dangerous across the park.

Penrith - Unbelievably, they could be the shock, but they will be more so in 2014. They are a very young team that's building toward 2014-2015. They're probably a bit confused with a lot of the senior players leaving, but there's a dearth of junior talent in Penrith. They say one premiership in a decade is considered successful in a 16 team competition and that's what it appears Penrith is aiming toward.

Titans - They are good when it's not SOO and one of the top teams but when it's not, they'll be thrashed when their stars are not on board. At full strength they are a top 4 contender in the forwards, but their backs are weak. They'll fight for the wooden spoon due to SOO commitments for their forwards and the weakness in their backs..

St George - It's a year that Dragons supporters are unlikely to enjoy too much. They'll probably beat a a couple of teams above them, but they won't threaten anyone too much.

Chip and Chase said:
I'm not convinced that Roosters are a top 8 team, let alone a top 4 team. I might be wrong, but their spine doesn't excite me. 1 is old, 6 is still dining out on a good 2011 and fresh off a uninspiring 2012, 7 lacks creativity, and 9 ?? well who is their 9 ?? was he the one who was dealing in nursing home patients' valium prescriptions ?

SBW will be a threat and is a superstar, but I think the defensive workload will take away his edge, he's forgotten what it is like to have to make 30 or so solid tackles a match. Jennings is a class centre, just depends whether he can get his head right. Plenty of distractions in the East. They are a good young side, but I think they will lack a level experienced head to take control. Anyway we'll see, at this stage I'd be laying them to make the 8.

Bump. This is why I'm not a bookie ;) - FIU*JAM

U= useless

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8