Wolfman's no Try

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The pass was forward. It left his hand in a forward trajectory, end of story. He wasn't moving forward, he was prancing laterally across the field. The above videos are all about players moving forward and passing. Hayne was not moving forward.

Fonz said:
Rex said:
susan said:
fonz

im glad you put the rule in black and white.where the ball ends up has nothing to do with it.it is simple-if it comes from the hands flat or backwards it is ok.It has nothing to with Hayne moving or stopping or anything else-from the hands is the only point taht matters.
I'm trying to understand what you're saying susan. You're saying if a player stops and passes the ball backwards out of the hands and it floats forward, then that is not a forward pass.

What I'm trying to understand is how a stationery player passes the ball backwards out of the hands and causes it to go forward. A sudden gust of wind? Players breathing heavily? Curvature of time-space? Or was Isaac Newton wrong?

Have a look at the replays. Hayne was not stationary whilst throwing either ball as others have stated to prove their point. Amateur arguement.

codewana said:
Surely the movement of the ball should be governed relative to the ground and not the player?

It's the rule mate. Sorry. As SER8 said, throw an apple out of your car window. Does it float forwards even though you've thrown it backwards codewana?

Apple? pffftt - seriously, it works much better with a TV.

Daniel said:
When you drop a coin inside a car, because of the Coriolis effect it seems to fall straight down to you, but if you looked at it from outside the car it would fall in a curved line.

What if you aren't actually driving a Corolla? Does it still work in a Falcon? Surely not in a Hyundai.

Fonz said:
Mother natures rules don't apply in the NRL.

They should this week (Women in League).

DSM5 said:
. . . he was prancing laterally across the field. .. Hayne was not moving forward.

'Prancing' lol

The rule that governs this is Newton's 1st law, the law of inertia.
It states "Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it."

This means that there is a natural tendency of objects to keep on doing what they're doing. All objects resist changes in their state of motion. In the absence of an unbalanced force, an object in motion will maintain this state of motion. http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/louviere/Newton/law1.html

If you could be bothered you could quite easily work out at what speed Hayne would need to be travelling to account for the forward momentum that caused the ball to float 2m forward , despite being allegedly passed backwards. My guess is that it would be a higher speed then what he was travelling at. Pointless exercise anyway, given that the ball was thrown forward.

I am pleased to see that we have so many amateur physicists posting here though.

Sorry to tell you Dan, if you dropped your apple out of a moving car it would fall towards the ground as it was accelerated by gravity, but , it would also continue its forward momentum that it had as a part of the moving vehicle before release.

TokyoEagle said:
Sorry to tell you Dan, if you dropped your apple out of a moving car it would fall towards the ground as it was accelerated by gravity, but , it would also continue its forward momentum that it had as a part of the moving vehicle before release.
You forgot the wind resistance Tokyo. The wind resistance! Slows the forward momentum.

Has everyone allowed for the wind resistance in Hayne's passes?

Fonz said:
Rex said:
susan said:
fonz

im glad you put the rule in black and white.where the ball ends up has nothing to do with it.it is simple-if it comes from the hands flat or backwards it is ok.It has nothing to with Hayne moving or stopping or anything else-from the hands is the only point taht matters.
I'm trying to understand what you're saying susan. You're saying if a player stops and passes the ball backwards out of the hands and it floats forward, then that is not a forward pass.

What I'm trying to understand is how a stationery player passes the ball backwards out of the hands and causes it to go forward. A sudden gust of wind? Players breathing heavily? Curvature of time-space? Or was Isaac Newton wrong?

Have a look at the replays. Hayne was not stationary whilst throwing either ball as others have stated to prove their point. Amateur arguement.

Never said Hayne was stationery with either pass. Amateur challenge.

Rex said:
TokyoEagle said:
You forgot the wind resistance Tokyo. The wind resistance! Slows the forward momentum.

Has everyone allowed for the wind resistance in Hayne's passes?

Fonz said:
Rex said:
susan said:
fonz

Never said Hayne was stationery with either pass. Amateur challenge.

Precisely what I mentioned earlier, once your arm with the apple goes outside the car it is subject to outside forces

Ok fellas. Well you guys can keep yelling forward pass at the tv everytime it crosses a white line while being passed backward if you like.

The fact is, the rule states that that isn't a forward pass.

I wonder how many people would still call it forward if a Manly player threw it?

Fonz said:
I wonder how many people would still call it forward if a Manly player threw it?

Heaps.. they hate us even if it wasnt forward, they would still say forward..

On here though we would all say it was backwards by a mile are you blind:D

Any way if you look back at a thread from last yr. I think chip or flip put it up & theres about 4 little clips on whats classed as forward & what isnt.. If any one can hunt that up & put it on here for Fonz it explains it good.. I remember on 1 clip the pass looked ok but they said it was forward..

can anyone remember it had line markings on the ground every 2meters so you could gauge the distance the ball floats..

It was forward. No explanation needed from the motion scientists. I observed it with my own eyes. He was moving laterally and threw it forward. He got a way with it because the touchies are predominately scared little fuquits and Hayne is the love child of all refs and commentators. There you go.

I dont even think it was forward. And I don't think it even matters

Fonz said:

Not naming names, but I seem to remember someone in this very thread say:

"Seriously if you want to look at forward passes have a look at the one DCE threw in the lead up to our last try. "

DCE passed it 48 metres out, running forward, it was a floating pass like in the vid, and it was caught 48 metres out from Manly's line.

On that record, I'd say there'd be at least one.

captainskin said:
Rex, at least Fonz spelt 'stationary' right ;^)

Not in my dictionery :p

Not really sure what your point is there. Do you agree that i look at games without Maroon coloured glasses on?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4