Yesterday's Crowd- How it stacks up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I went to some of those 90's one. I was only a teenager. Dad and I used to go in early and sit on benches right next to the family hill fence in the corner. Never used to get up because you couldn't go to the toilet or get food for the crowd and people would be in your seat before you blinked.

I remember one game where the walkways were chocas and everyone was standing in them

These were the days when the walkway went through the hill as well

Bradza said:
Larissa
Historical crowd stats can be found at the following site.
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

We had numerous crowds over 20k over the decades. The main problem with comparing crowds is that prior to 2000 it appears that we used the same approach as the Roosters, Sharks and Titans are still using now, ie: count the feet of all attendees then 15 minutes before kickoff make an estimate of people still waiting to get in and then multiply by 1.8!
We seem to have used a more honest approach over the last decade.

Anyway, if we can get 17k+ to the Tigers (Gosford) and Roosters games our average will be getting up over 15k for the season which compares well to any other year.

I actually use to work on the old gates (ie pay as you thru the turnstiles) and was good friends with the guy who ran it in those days for the club - I can guarantee all crowds in those days had 3 or 4 thousand added to them - I questioned it one day and was told it was good for the club in terms of sponsorship etc to have bigger crowds.

Bradza said:
The main problem with comparing crowds is that prior to 2000 it appears that we used the same approach as the Roosters, Sharks and Titans are still using now, ie: count the feet of all attendees then 15 minutes before kickoff make an estimate of people still waiting to get in and then multiply by 1.8!

newcastle used to count the heads of supporters as they entered the gates thus doubling the number of people at the game

The Arthurson stand wasn't there for the big games in the 80's as it was something like 1995 when completed. I would have thouight it would allow extra people to see the game. I was there for the Parra game '86 and the Tigers game 87 and it was so packed it was difficult to actually move through any walkway and the place was chockers. Any crowd these days near 20,000 is a super accomplishment.

The Wheel said:
Bradza said:
Larissa
Historical crowd stats can be found at the following site.
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

We had numerous crowds over 20k over the decades. The main problem with comparing crowds is that prior to 2000 it appears that we used the same approach as the Roosters, Sharks and Titans are still using now, ie: count the feet of all attendees then 15 minutes before kickoff make an estimate of people still waiting to get in and then multiply by 1.8!
We seem to have used a more honest approach over the last decade.

Anyway, if we can get 17k+ to the Tigers (Gosford) and Roosters games our average will be getting up over 15k for the season which compares well to any other year.

I actually use to work on the old gates (ie pay as you thru the turnstiles) and was good friends with the guy who ran it in those days for the club - I can guarantee all crowds in those days had 3 or 4 thousand added to them - I questioned it one day and was told it was good for the club in terms of sponsorship etc to have bigger crowds.

Maybe the extra crowd added was to cover for the 3 or 4 thousand that you blokes used to let in free every game?

The single record attendance for any event at Brookvale was set during a regular season clash between the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and Parramatta Eels on 31 August 1986 which drew 27,655 fans. Given changes to the configuration of the ground undertakens in the 1990s it is likely that this record will never be broken. The game is officially declared sold out when crowds creep around the 20-22 000 mark, although no official arbitrary cut-off is continuously used.

In 2006, the ground saw its largest average attendance over an entire season, with an average of 15,484 patrons watching each of the club's 11 matches played there. Since the club started playing in 1947, over six million spectators have visited the ground.

Wikipedia

bones said:
Manly V Gold Coast 11th May 1997 Crowd 2506.

I think I was at that game. The lowest crowd I ever remember going to was a Manly v GC game around that time.

And at the time I thought there were really less than 2000 people there...

I was impressed at how quickly the ticket lines were moving. We bought our tickets on the northeast corner of the ground and despite it being a very long queue it moved along much faster than I could have expected. I will certainly be there for the Roosters game and hopefully the good crowds will bring some much needed money to the club. It was a good demonstration of why Manly home games should be scheduled for Sunday afternoons. Is there a better way to spend a sunny Sunday?

Fonz said:
Since the club started playing in 1947, over six million spectators have visited the ground.

I really hate this way of expressing crowds, there is no way over 6 million different people have been to games at Brookvale.

For example they could come up with a total spectator figure at the end of this year, but many of us would be counted as 10 spectators if the figures are expressed in the same style as above.

It surely isnt meant to portray 6M different people though. The fact that there has been that many visits simply means its a popular place. Thats all ive read into it.

Brookie4eva said:
Fonz said:
Since the club started playing in 1947, over six million spectators have visited the ground.

I really hate this way of expressing crowds, there is no way over 6 million different people have been to games at Brookvale.

For example they could come up with a total spectator figure at the end of this year, but many of us would be counted as 10 spectators if the figures are expressed in the same style as above.

Are you all there?

Fonz said:
Brookie4eva said:
Fonz said:

Are you all there?

I only use 3 of my multiple personalities at the footy, I save the others for different situations. :mad: :D :huh:

Im sure the parra figure is fudged a bit, but I can easily see how there coudl have been 25k or so with an extra hill and more people. You could fit 22-3k into brookie currently if you had them all standing as people who were there for the big games say.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6