2016, the year that was , or wasn't

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As people have said, the Turbo's, Darcy, Ferris and Kapow were the standouts.

The injuries, the draw, Snake's fall from grace (though that was balanced somewhat by Tom's emergence as one of the games best FB's), some rather puzzling selections (e.g. Walker at 5/8 for 10 rounds when it because obvious after 2 or 3 that it wasn't working), the lack of structure in attack where DCE was expected to do just about everything (no coincidence that his and our best games came with Killer at pivot), the at times rather pathetic defence.....they were the low lights for me.

Green at 5/8 will hopefully allow DCE to get back to what he does best. Walker in the centres should go some way to counter the loss of Killer while off-season surgery will hopefully see DCE, Tom, Jorge and (reportedly) Jake all fully fit and raring to go.

Provided we're not forced to play the likes of Wiliame, Brown and Wright (who while putting in wholehearted efforts, lacked that certain class) for long periods like we did this year, I don't think we're looking overly bad for 2017. The problem is going to be if we get another injury crisis we simply don't have the quality back ups to remain competitive, either in the backs or forwards.

For my money, our best 17 in 2017 should probably look like (provided we can remain relatively healthy):

Tom Trbojevic, Jorge Taufua, Dylan Walker, Steve Matai, Akuila Uate, Blake Green, Daly Cherry-Evans, Darcy Lussick, Matt Parcell, Jake Trbojevic, Martin Taupau, Shaun Lane, Jamie Buhrer. Res - Addin Fonua-Blake, Api Koroisau, Nate Myles, Willis Meehan / Jamil Hopoate.

Uate is the question mark signing and Skivy's health is the other question mark. If we don't sign Uate or another pacey winger then Brad Parker would be there (not a bad choice because he's been good IMO) while Cameron Cullen can play centre if Skivy has to retire (and is a better back up half or 5/8 than Walker or Api). And if we do manage to sign someone like Gillett then I would have him in the back row (obviously) and drop Lane to the bench or NSW Cup.

Either way, win lose or draw, it won't stop me supporting Manly.

Injuries to key players was telling and even more our lack of depth and quality was badly exposed. 31 players have now left or been cut. What are the plans moving forward??? Not holding my breath on any answers.

We need to invest in youth and not let quality juniors go.

2017 needs to be a big improvement across the board. Over to you owners!!

Watching Snake stagger around like an ageing Ali in his comeback fights in the 1980's was bad, but seeing father time catch up with Killer was the lowlight. Sam Thaiday standing him up and then speeding past him brought a tear to my eye.

The peak of our season was beating a then hot Warriors team in the belting down rain in Perth and then we went on a bit of a run which was ended by more injuries and some tough consecutive beats by Parramatta and the Dogs.

I think we have a very good, young hooker (Parcell, not Api), half and fullback to build around, those guys could be anything.

Highlights for me this season was watching the games each week with my 12 year old son. He is a pretty decent player who tends to ignores any advice I have to give him about the game but every week when we watch Jake tackle all I have to say is, "that is how you do it, bend your knees, get in low, and hit hard".
It was the little things like Jakes tackles during each game that kept us high fiving and rolling around the floor cheering...would have been good if we could be doing that a little more after seeing Manly score but unfortunately not so much this year.
Since he started playing 3 seasons ago he has a habit of flying in and launching himself in defence, he usually hits their legs, but when his coach told him to take it easy, he replied, "Well that's how Matai tackles"
Hopefully, for everyone's sake, he will continue to emulate Jake's technique.
We also liked the way Darcy was playing over the last few months of the season.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6