2016 Tipping Comp Open

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have "joined" or paid at least, where are the guidelines or how to to be found?
If you don't put tips in do you get 0 points?

So im going to have to figure out how to put my tips in then.

Do we have the rules up anywhere?

I vaguely remember the 2013 or 14 comp were we had the rules up on the site.

Enter Tips go to Tipping Comp >> Manage Picks >> Enter Picks

Rules are
1 point for correct pick
2 points for picking draw
1 extra point for picking bonus game correctly (i.e. 2 points for that pick)

We also have a margin tip in there, that helps us decide the winner each week as a tie-break and also lets us see who is the winner at the end of there year. It is always ridiculously close so it helps us narrow it down .

Picks can be entered up until kick off of each game.

Good point @Eagles2nv . There aren't a list of rules as such, but off the top of my head.

* This is a pick the winner tipping comp.
* There are three options for each game, home team win, draw, or away team win. You must choose one option in each game.
* A correct pick earns you one (1) point and two (2) points for correctly choosing a draw
* Each game closes for tipping 5 minutes before kick off. You can change your tip any time up until that game closes.
* There is one "bonus" game each week, which is worth two (2) points for a correct choice. The bonus game requires you to enter a score for the game, that is how you know it is the "bonus" game.
* The score you enter does not affect the tip you have made, i.e. if you pick the home team to win but you enter a score of Home 10 Away 20 for example, you tip will still remain as home team win. Similarly if you do not enter a score for the bonus game it will not affect your pick the winner tip
* The pick the score margin is only used as a tie breaker function for the weekly winner. You do not score any extra points for correctly picking the score (or the margin) in the bonus game.
* The bonus game is sometimes only chosen a week or two prior to the round commencing in order to account for form lines. Therefore it is the tippers responsibility to check their tips weekly to confirm they have correctly tipped the bonus game.
* If you do not enter a tip for any given game then you will score no points for that game.
* It is the tippers responsibility to ensure their tips have been correctly lodged. No correspondence will be entered into. All 20 scheduled rounds have been entered into the comp already, so there will be no excuses for lack of internet access or site availability. Tip often and tip early.
* The weekly winner is the tipper who scores the most tipping points for that round. In the event of more than one tipper scoring the same amount of points then the tipper with the chosen margin in the bonus game closest to the final actual game margin will be declared the winner. If more than one tipper have the same amount of tipping points and the same margin then there will be multiple weekly winners declared.
* The overall winner at season end will be the tipper with the most tipping points after 26 rounds. In the event of more than one tipper being on equal points upon completion of Round 26 then the winner will be the person with the chosen margin in the bonus game closest to the final actual game margin. If there is more than one tipper with equal total tipping points and the same margin in the last bonus game, then the amount of weekly top tipper awards won through the season will be used to differentiate the ultimate winner.

@Dan might be able to confirm whether he plans on having some sort of PM confirmation of successful lodgement of tips each week.

Last edited:
Good point @Eagles2nv . There aren't a list of rules as such, but off the top of my head.

* There are three options for each game, home team win, draw, or away team win. You must choose one option in each game.
* A correct pick earns you one (1) point and two (2) points for correctly choosing a draw
* Each game closes for tipping 5 minutes before kick off. You can change your tip any time up until that game closes.
* There is one "bonus" game each week, which is worth two (2) points for a correct choice. The bonus game requires you to enter a score for the game, that is how you know it is the "bonus" game.
* The score you enter does not affect the tip you have made, i.e. if you pick the home team to win but you enter a score of Home 10 Away 20 for example, you tip will still remain as home team win. Similarly if you do not enter a score for the bonus game it will not affect your pick the winner tip
* The pick the score margin is only used as a tie breaker function for the weekly winner. You do not score any extra points for correctly picking the score (or the margin) in the bonus game.
* The bonus game is sometimes only chosen a week or two prior to the round commencing in order to account for form lines. Therefore it is the tippers responsibility to check their tips weekly to confirm they have correctly tipped the bonus game.
* Default tip in each game is the home team, therefore if you do not enter a tip for any given game then you will be automatically be given the home team.
* It is the tippers responsibility to ensure their tips have been correctly lodged. No correspondence will be entered into. All 20 scheduled rounds have been entered into the comp already, so there will be no excuses for lack of internet access or site availability. Tip often and tip early.
* The weekly winner is the tipper who scores the most tipping points for that round. In the event of more than one tipper scoring the same amount of points then the tipper with the chosen margin in the bonus game closest to the final actual game margin will be declared the winner. If more than one tipper have the same amount of tipping points and the same margin then there will be multiple weekly winners declared.
* The overall winner at season end will be the tipper with the most tipping points after 26 rounds. In the event of more than one tipper being on equal points upon completion of Round 26 then the winner will be the person with the chosen margin in the bonus game closest to the final actual game margin. If there is more than one tipper with equal total tipping points and the same margin in the last bonus game, then the amount of weekly top tipper awards won through the season will be used to differentiate the ultimate winner.

@Dan might be able to confirm whether he plans on having some sort of PM confirmation of successful lodgement of tips each week.
As in a results PM?

Hmmm I hadn't thought about it because results are never really calculated at any specific event. Basically they are calculated when you read the leaderboard through a query rather than through doing anything specifically.

I could build out a cron entry that does it and emails them I guess. Users do get PM'd however when they submit their tips

Oh actually I hadn't written that part of the code. I had better do that

@Dan can you confirm what the default tip is for those who do not make a choice. It looks like it is home team this year, is that correct.

Good job on the confirmation pm for entered tips.

* Default tip in each game is the home team, therefore if you do not enter a tip for any given game then you will be automatically be given the home team.

One last rule . Never tip against the mighty Sea eagles !!!

@Dan can you confirm what the default tip is for those who do not make a choice. It looks like it is home team this year, is that correct.

Good job on the confirmation pm for entered tips.
There is no default. If you do not enter them you do not get any picks that week.

I can program something in if people think its needed. I prefer the option that everyone either enters them or not

Good work C&C, your arguments have been compelling enough to convince me return from self-imposed retirement, pull on the boots, apply the linament and attempt to add to my win from back in the early ST days ('06?) when the only prize on offer was honour and glory!!

There is no default. If you do not enter them you do not get any picks that week.

I can program something in if people think its needed. I prefer the option that everyone either enters them or not
I'm OK with no points if you don't make the effort. I was just trying to clarify what the situation was

BUMP - for those looking for info on how to sign up to tipping comp.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8