2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have absolutely no idea who's worth what but I'm guessing both Brown and Lodge aren't on big money and they made need upgrades in 25 if they continue to produce this year. Hopefully, we still have enough to entice an up and comer with plenty of upside.
Again, it's early days but it's nice to be discussing options for improvement as opposed to needing wholesale changes.

Trey Mooney has looked good in NSW cup for a couple of seasons, down the pecking order it has looked with Ricky picking others in front of him, on field discipline is improving.

Iro he has done well in NSW cup also, don’t know why Fitzy hasn’t given more game time in the first 13.

Depending on who resigns, a number 9, would be top of the list.

Gus being off contract would be good on the left edge, dollars would be the issue though, I don’t think Talua is a winger and totally agree Garrick needs to be the left winger.

I like the look of Xavier Willson, with the Donkeys getting cap pressure he would be one I would like at Manly.

The club did a good job in getting Brooks and Brown, hopefully they can replicate that for 2025.
Willson a great shout if he was to be squeezed out

What juniors are coming through?

Oops, I forgot. Too hard for Spoonbold so zero juniors will be given a go.
Young Hoppa is progressing well, outside of that not sure on what else is there.

One the players hold in high regard is Zane Dunford on a train and trial deal with the same injury as Lodge, fingers crossed he gets a crack in NSW cup when he is good..

So you may think its too early to be talking 2025 recruitment but these wheels very much need to be in motion.

So my unsolicited thoughts.

Firstly, our off contract guys

Nathan Brown, Gordan Chan Kum Tong, Jamie Humphreys, Karl Lawton, Matt Lodge, Ray Vaega, Corey Wadell.

I'd certainly extend Brown another year, I think year by year is best but I could handle two years. I think we can kinda wait and see on the rest. Lodge very likely but give him at least a couple of games. Lawton will go I think and I'd let Vaega go. Waddell on minimum I think would be fine for another year but you can wait till August/Sept for that and Gordie and Jamie.....well I guess it depends on how much of a future we see in them. I've been hyped but I'm moving towards unsure.

Schuster, well I'm working on the basis of him not being here and us having a chunk of his money (who knows how much).

I'd be targeting an edge (to replace Schuster) a back.

For mine

1. Trey Mooney or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki - Two very highly rated young forwards. Finefeuiaki currently has a lot of hype and may end up over priced so Id look at sneaking under the radar on Trey Mooney. A log jam of forwards at Canberra so we may just be able to grab and I think he comess straight into our 17

2. Kayal Iro - been banging his drum for a while but, too good for NSW Cup, but I see now he has won that Sharkies centre position. I'd grab him but it may just move Garrick back to the wing.

I know people want the big names but I think the above are available, set to break out and could fit our salary cap.
Garrick resigned with Manly with the main reason that he asked to play Centre! Garrick won’t be happy if shafted back to the wing. If forced I guarantee he’ll want out!

Last edited:
Garrick resigned with Manly with the main reason that he wants to play Centre! Garrick won’t be happy if shafted back to the wing. If forced I guarantee he’ll want out!
The hard conversation was had with Schuster in regards to him wanting the 6, but got told it was backrow for him.

Can’t see why this wouldn’t apply to Garrick, if he was to push that narrative then the club would need to find another player, he is tge best option in the squad for left wing in my opinion..

The hard conversation was had with Schuster in regards to him wanting the 6, but got told it was backrow for him.

Can’t see why this wouldn’t apply to Garrick, if he was to push that narrative then the club would need to find another player, he is tge best option in the squad for left wing in my opinion..
Garrick is going to be expensive enough on his next contract negotiation that if he plays hard ball he'll just be increasing his chances of being cut loose and replaced with someone cheaper. I'd like him to stay because I think he could become a record-breaking points scoring one club player, but he needs to be a team player.

I get a bit peeved when I hear players telling coaches where they want to play and I actually applauded Shane Flanagan for his actions when Lomax tried to start calling the shots.
Same thing with Reuben (who i really like) I don't think any player should be bigger than the club or the team.

So you may think its too early to be talking 2025 recruitment but these wheels very much need to be in motion.

So my unsolicited thoughts.

Firstly, our off contract guys

Nathan Brown, Gordan Chan Kum Tong, Jamie Humphreys, Karl Lawton, Matt Lodge, Ray Vaega, Corey Wadell.

I'd certainly extend Brown another year, I think year by year is best but I could handle two years. I think we can kinda wait and see on the rest. Lodge very likely but give him at least a couple of games. Lawton will go I think and I'd let Vaega go. Waddell on minimum I think would be fine for another year but you can wait till August/Sept for that and Gordie and Jamie.....well I guess it depends on how much of a future we see in them. I've been hyped but I'm moving towards unsure.

Schuster, well I'm working on the basis of him not being here and us having a chunk of his money (who knows how much).

I'd be targeting an edge (to replace Schuster) a back.

For mine

1. Trey Mooney or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki - Two very highly rated young forwards. Finefeuiaki currently has a lot of hype and may end up over priced so Id look at sneaking under the radar on Trey Mooney. A log jam of forwards at Canberra so we may just be able to grab and I think he comess straight into our 17

2. Kayal Iro - been banging his drum for a while but, too good for NSW Cup, but I see now he has won that Sharkies centre position. I'd grab him but it may just move Garrick back to the wing.

I know people want the big names but I think the above are available, set to break out and could fit our salary cap.
If I could compile a list of potential targets I'd like to see here at manly which could work due to various reasons this would be it. (quite a long list)

Kayal Iro
Kulikefu Finefeuaki
Xavier Willison
Zac Hosking
Jacob Preston
Kurt Morrin
Heilum Luki
Dylan Lucas
Zion Maiu'u
Benjamin Te Kura
Tristan Sailor
Kobe Hetherington
Kai Pearce Paul
Tom Starling
Damien Cook
Nelson Asofa Solomona
Nick Cotric
Bronson Xerri
Sua Fa'alago
Joe Chan
Jack Howarth
Will Pryce
Viliami Vailea
Wiremu Greig
Soni Luke
Isaiah Longi
Tyrone Munro
Tallis Duncan
Jaydn Sua
Connor Watson
Ray Stone
Stefano Utoikamanu
Lachlan Galvin
Josh Curran
Franklin Pele
Billy Smith
Corey Harawira Naera
Bailey Simonsson
Sean Russell
Bryce Cartwright
Jojo Fifita

Dare I say Damien Cook?
Has been dropped. So has NAS from storm. Fa'alago another one that can't crack it. These are the type of players we should be looking at. Too good for cup but either on bench in NRL or not at all. Could pick up a bargain

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8